Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Scam at post office

On 15 May 2008 at 11:23am Local wrote:
I thought I'd share this little scam I saw when I was queuing in the post office in the High Street on Wednesday. A bloke is getting money out and he keeps going on about how careful you've got to be with all these forgeries about, drawing attention to it a little too much I thought. He leaves with a few notes. About three minutes later he returns, barges in waving a note (20 or 50, I couldn't tell) saying he's just been into two banks and they told him it is dodgy. The cashier asks him if he got in there. He says Yes. She - and I was expecting her to ask him to wait while she called the police - she apologises, takes the note and hands him a new one. I think the post office have just been conned and walked right into it.

On 15 May 2008 at 2:02pm E Bayer. wrote:
I sell from E Bay,and I find it annoying that the only main Post office is now in the High Street,and always seems to have massive queues...
Made me think back.How many POs were there in Lewes a few years ago? The only ones remaining as far as I can see are the High Street,Landport,and Malling.
I can remember one in the Cliffe,(sorely missed)Western Road,Nevill,Southover...Has Winterbourne shut too?
And I bet I've missed some...
It's a shame if that was a scam,the Post Office do a grand job and they don't deserve that.
And wasn't Landport due for closure too at one point?
Scandelous.

On 15 May 2008 at 2:16pm why? wrote:
malling went a few years back landport is due end of month I believe so yes just high street remaining.
I must admit If i have to send parcels if i cant walk in i drive to ringmer easy p0arking and short que

On 15 May 2008 at 2:35pm Freddie Flintoffs jock strap wrote:
Landport closed last monday (12th may)
The only one in the Lewes area is at the top of the high street and i think there's one in a village somewhere (eg chailey)
Is there a PO in Ringmer anymore ?
It's a complete and utter disgrace that they shut all these post offices yet put prime time adverts on tele calling themselves "the people's post office"

On 15 May 2008 at 2:45pm Why@ wrote:
Ringmer is alive and open in the 7 eleven type shop
taxed my car only last week

On 15 May 2008 at 7:34pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
The closure of PO's, especially in the rural areas, is a tragic loss to the community.
No bright spark at Whitehall seems to have considered the real value that these PO's provided in their communities (eg meeting place and source of information, particulalry for the elderly and infirm).
We will all end up paying more for the provision of these services from alternative sources (social care) and the results of withdrawal (social isolation may result in additional strain to the NHS - hospital admission, depression etc).

On 16 May 2008 at 4:12am SHS wrote:
Whitehall is not about community, it is about cutting subsidies and raising revenue. The Post Office is a limited company - why would it care about community? It's only concern is to make a profit. The true scandal is this whole government's disgraceful treatment of the population as a cash cow to be kept under tight control and surveillance while milking it for everything it can get away with. Here's a thought: fewer post offices = more car journeys = more tax paid.

On 16 May 2008 at 8:43am Taff wrote:
I worked on a pub a few years back in a village in West sussex. Their PO closed so the pub lanlord had an extension built and opened it as the PO. Great idea and well done to the man I say.
What can be done to stop further closures I do not know but somehow it must be done. It certainly has not helped that webby surfing purchases are pretty mush handled by couriers rather than the PO but thats business. if they cant be competitive enough to be profitable then its gloomy. The tories started this off way back, getting rid of most manufacturing and useful services in the name of profit!

On 16 May 2008 at 10:46am Local wrote:
As the one who started this thread, I have to say how much I agree with posters who are bemoaning the closure of post offices. It's particularly galling to see adverts on the tv night after night telling us what a wonderful service it is, while on the other hand what is truly a great service is being destroyed. We'll come to see this one day as we see the earlier destruction of the railways 40 years ago.

On 20 May 2008 at 9:57pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I do my car tax online now.
Have yet to find a way of sending a parcel without leaving the house though.

On 20 May 2008 at 10:01pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
It's particularly dire when considered in conjunction with the dire parking scheme. On more than one occasion, I've parked, paid and gone and queued, only to find I'm still in the pigging queue when the parking ticket expires.
I use Ringmer now. How green is that, driving 10 miles when there's a PO just 1.5 miles away.

26 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Beer garden 9:132
Beer garden

Ugh, you give TP an inch and he takes a mile with eugenics and other wackadoodle stuff. I do sense though that the power is... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy