Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Save Lewes architecture

On 8 May 2014 at 11:23pm Amon Wildest wrote:
Anyone attend the meeting at The White Hart tonight? Is Lewes architecture to be saved? By whom and how?

On 9 May 2014 at 12:12am Express wrote:
No one turned up !!

On 9 May 2014 at 7:21am Amon Wildes wrote:
Are you joking Express?

On 9 May 2014 at 7:37am Realist wrote:
Must of have gone to the wrong room!! There were over 100 attendees including Norman Baker.
Very strong support for keeping the Courthouse.
Disappointment that latest plans submitted show very little of what hotel would look like and fit in with surroundings.
Full report in next Express next week.

On 9 May 2014 at 8:05am Amon wildest wrote:
Thanks Realist
On 9 May 2014 at 11:45am Stuck in the Past wrote:
Very interesting. Still waiting for an answer to my question in the previous thread, that is, what exactly is the 'Lewes Architecture' that these people want to save?, and how does the existing court building fit into their idea?
Sounds like they want to reject the hotel which would bring jobs and tourists money into the town, but want to keep an ugly, unused court building (how does that fit into the surroundings?) that can only ever seriously be used as a court - or maybe a police station, but then we have a new one of those built at tax payers expense and taking up one of our much needed car parks!
Perhaps we should go back to the Lewes of the 70's, before a lot of new building had taken place (except for County Hall of course). Take a look at some photos and see how grim Lewes was in those days, particularly around the Cliffe end of town!
On 9 May 2014 at 2:17pm stevet wrote:
Totally agree with 'stuck in the past'. Architecture evolves over time and we shouldn't be reduced to building inferior pastiches of old buildings. Now, I'm not saying Frank Gehry would be welcome here - thats a step too far, but its possible to strike a balance between modern design and innovation whilst retaining the character of the town.
I don't think the courthouse is ugly, its pretty inoffensive, but clearly not fit for purpose if we want to get the best use out of this site.

On 9 May 2014 at 2:51pm Amon wildes wrote:
Hear hear ...
On 9 May 2014 at 4:26pm Christopher Wren wrote:
Why isn't the Magistrates Court fit for purpose? It has 2,000 sq m of floor space, equivalent to half a football pitch, over 50 rooms (including four larger courtrooms and six cells) and it is well-endowed with toilets. I can think of many purposes this building could be put to.

On 9 May 2014 at 5:13pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I don't have an issue with modern architecture, as long as it is good and fits in with the scale of its surroundings and with existing buildings in terms of quality and type of materials used.
What I don't want to see here is run-of-the-mill stuff that looks like a chunk of Crawley or Croydon fell asleep on the train and got off at Lewes. What makes the Lewes townscape special is the diversity of its architecture. Good modern buildings will enhance that, but that costs money, something most developers are not prepared to pay for.

On 9 May 2014 at 5:35pm Town person wrote:
Were any of the attendees aware that the Council apparently recently approved the demolition of two small listed Gerogian Buildings, having told everyone throughout the entire process that they were not Listed?
You can demolish Listed buildings, but there is a fair process to follow. So why is our Council not following it?

On 9 May 2014 at 7:18pm old timer wrote:
Do tell us more Old Timer; I had thought that the planners had changed a little from their behaviour in previous years ....

On 9 May 2014 at 7:53pm Amon Wildest wrote:
And while we're all on about what Lewes should and shouldn't keep, architecturally, what's happening to the Maltings? Record office moved out over 6 months ago. Building owned by Lewes District council now - ie us, the council tax payers of Lewes district.
A suggestion was aired, some months ago, that it should used as an exhibition space and possible Tom Paine permanent exhibition. Anyone know what plans are afoot for a real iconic Lewes building? The lumbering hulk of the Magistrates court should be removed; it adds nothing to the street scape. It was on the market for well over 2 years and no one wanted to buy it. At a million quid it was a steel, a quarter of the houses in Lewes are for sale for a million! The tax payers of Lewes got as bum a deal as we got from the sale of Royal Mail.
On 10 May 2014 at 12:40am Henry wrote:
The court house is ugly and visually inaccessible, it looks like a secure building which I suppose was the designers intention but if its not a courthouse let get something more attractive and inviting in its place. From what I've seen of the proposal visuals its a big improvement.

On 11 May 2014 at 6:22pm Stuck in the Past wrote:
I'm sure if it was going to be a cinema nobody would be kicking up so much of a fuss about it!

On 11 May 2014 at 7:30pm bonzo wrote:
Those with long memories will remember the outcry when the plans for the magistrates' court were first proposed i.e. to build the court. There was a similar outcry when plans for precinct were announced. "Toy Town architecture" was one such comment Some of the voices now raised seem to be the same as before.

On 12 May 2014 at 5:56pm bastian wrote:
as for architecture the court building reflects the architecture around it, echos of arches and even of the staition that was there before it, but the new designs seem to pick up on the strangest things like slate hung tiles-there are so few buildings with slate hung walls in town, how can that be chosen as the model? and now they want to build more like that on the river side (shoving st john ambulance off again), and Nick Johnson has already started on his building to cash in on this new fad.
When they built the ambulance HQ they tried very hard to make it fir in, but Quors are not even trying, they just want to put in more of that dull (lazy) flat pack ikea style (cheap to construct and fast to throw up) structure. these people have no imagination and can't see what Lewes looks like because they are too busy counting how much profit they will make.
I would like to see a National Park centre in that building with overnight accomodation for ramblers and walkers.

On 13 May 2014 at 11:29am Stuck in the Past wrote:
That would be nice, Bastian, and who would be paying for it?

On 13 May 2014 at 4:13pm bastian wrote:
someone with a concience, who has money but believes ion providing for the people of the town, and before you pitch in with "how unrealistic that is" it isn'e, in the last push for total capitalism (1880's) very rich people built libraries and museums, the Tate gallery etc for the public use-unfortunately benevolence is no longer fashionable, it's every man for himself(ish).
It could be built by the National park as an investment, property with rarely depreciate and the income could fund other projects once the outlay has been brought in (over time, long term investment rather than a fast return-something else that is an issue)

On 14 May 2014 at 11:35am Stuck in the Past wrote:
So......, who would be paying for it again?

17 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Pipe Passage 98:132
Pipe Passage

I'm not completely sure of the relevance of this information tom. The study of the money supply is of interest to some but as... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde