Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

Rudest truck driver in Lewes

 
 
On 22 May 2012 at 4:38pm Castle Gate wrote:
The rudest truck driver in Lewes was, a few minutes ago, parked just west of the Bottleneck, manipulating building equipment, blocking traffic coming from the town while post-school-run traffic was coming down the hill.

There are yellow lines here for a reason, surely?
1
2
On 22 May 2012 at 4:59pm Southover Queen wrote:
Careful, else the nuttier elements of this forum will somehow manage to construe this as entirely your fault.
 
 
On 22 May 2012 at 5:39pm Mr Bone wrote:
It's been there a week. I don't think they give a flying ....
2
2
On 22 May 2012 at 5:41pm White van man wrote:
So castle gate you have never taken a delivery then ! But of course in your privilege location you wouldn't have this problem would you . And maybe the little darlings could walk to school or pick uo their Chelsea ( championees) tractors away from the busy high street . County hall car park ?
1
1
On 22 May 2012 at 6:37pm grmski wrote:
I've written to the council to request a traffic survey outside the LOGS its unacceptable the way their parents and school buses block that road in the morning and afternoon. I suggest more do the same and maybe the council will listen. Double red lines are needed.
2
 
On 22 May 2012 at 6:38pm Rods Tiger wrote:
Castle Gate - I can see why that would be annoying, and you would think he could have found a better time to make his delivery, but you haven't yet explained what he did that was so very rude.
2
 
On 22 May 2012 at 6:44pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Grmski, I agree with you entirely about LOGS. They manage to cause a tailback up to Nevill Road sometimes.
I also get annoyed with vans that block the whole of Watergate Lane for hours on end without putting a sign at the top to warn the unsuspecting. Reversing out on to the High Street is decidedly iffy, especially in a long car.
4
 
On 22 May 2012 at 7:36pm Van Driver wrote:
Unless there are kerb stripe markings unloading is permitted on double yellow lines. What would you have liked the the driver to do? Parked in Tescos and carried his delivery up the hill?? As stated, LOGS cause far more disruption every day.
 
 
On 22 May 2012 at 11:32pm IMEYOU wrote:
If I recall correctly, the obstruction opposite the con club and was a scaffold lorry and its workers going about their business, where else can they park ?
 
 
On 23 May 2012 at 12:50am Bongo wrote:
I drove past it several times today. Didn't bother me.
 
 
On 23 May 2012 at 7:49am Pete wrote:
I drove past it several times as well and it wasn't a problem, however, unloading is permitted on double yellow lines (unless there is a sign to say otherwise), but, only for a limited time, usually at the disgression of the local council. But to be on double yellow lines all day is definitely parking, but I can understand how people going about their building business can feel, it's not easy to deliver scaffolding and other materials to work on a building which is on a main road. Patience is the order of the day methinks, and afterall, we need to keep the economy going.....
 
 
On 23 May 2012 at 7:52am Pete wrote:
Tut, tut - I mean discretion of course !
2
 
On 23 May 2012 at 12:43pm Taff wrote:
I came through there too but on a motorcycle. The problem was not caused by the truck unloading though it was an obstruction. The real problem was caused by other vehicle drivers not wishing to lose any road space. Traffic coming down from the Pelham could not advance because upcoming traffic was cueing up in the bottleneck. Hence little or no traffic movement. Most drivers seem to think that tiny piece of blacktop ahead is theirs only and no one else is going to get it however much inconvenience is caused. You see the same attitude on roundabouts during rush hour. Consideration to others is quite a useful skill to learn and the sooner the better.
 
 
On 23 May 2012 at 1:57pm Bongo wrote:
I agree with Taff. Had that problem this morning with a line of about 4 selfish drivers who seemed unable to read the road ahead and drive appropriately. They ended up driving up onto the pavement to let the flow of traffic through. Just plain ignorance and appallingly bad driving skills.
 
 
On 23 May 2012 at 3:47pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I saw exactly the same. Why do so many people leave their brains behind when they get in a car?
 
1
On 23 May 2012 at 3:58pm Southover Queen wrote:
Totally agree with ACT, Bongo and Taff: often I'll stop ahead of one of those obstructions and some idiot will overtake me and jam everything up completely.

I frequently use the exit from Rotten Row onto the High Street, and have my heart in my mouth every time because of speeding traffic hurtling through the bottleneck up the hill. You can't see a thing until you're right out into the stream of traffic, and drivers really seem to put their foot down there. Dunno why there aren't constant pile-ups really.
 
 
On 23 May 2012 at 4:45pm Penguin wrote:
A few months ago I couldnt drive along South Way as a lorry delivering a cooker had double parked alongside another parked car, thus blocking the whole road. Assuming they wouldn't be long I waited in my car whilst they carried the cooker into the house. After about 10 minutes the driver came out and asked me what I was waiting for. I said I presumed he would be moving shortly and I was waiting to get by. He then told me that he wouldn't be moving for about half an hour as the cooker had to be fitted! I pointed out that there was about 100 yards of vacant kerbside parking next to the car he was double parked against and maybe he could pull in there to allow cars through, but he refused on the grounds that he might get blocked in if someone came and parked in front of him! When I expressed my disbelief at this he became quite abusive and told me he was allowed to block the ******* road for up to an hour if he wanted to because he was delivering.
 
 
On 24 May 2012 at 8:23am Village Irriot wrote:
Try driving past Ditchling Church on a Sunday morning. The obstruction extends for possibly 200 metres.
 
 
On 24 May 2012 at 1:04pm brixtonbelle wrote:
All these drivers obviously have very small penii (and brains)
 
 
On 25 May 2012 at 8:04am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
SQ, you can gauge when it's safe to pull out of Rotten Row by watching the eastbound traffic. If it's moving, the westbound traffic won't (or at least, shouldn't) be.
Not totally infallible, and not always possible, but it's better than just crossing your fingers and hoping!
 
 
On 25 May 2012 at 9:50am Southover Queen wrote:
That's exactly what I do - in fact, I usually stop at Antioch St so that I can see when the lights change. As you say though it's not infallible: there have been a couple of hairy occasions when some eejit has jumped the lights and comes through at the speed of sound.

I've got a friend who drives an old Landrover. He just goes right ahead on the basis that any idiot thundering through there who does hit him will come off considerably the worst...
 
 
On 1 Jun 2012 at 6:02pm Sussex Jim wrote:
The town streets are there to gain access to properties, to deliver goods, and pick up or set down passengers. Lewes now has a bypass. If you drive through town in your personal chariot you must expect delays. The worst problems are caused by those who do not read the road ahead, and stop alongside parked vehicles.
 
 
On 2 Jun 2012 at 7:03am ffs wrote:
Ring the rozers and report an abandoned lorry - that's obstruction!


14 posts left

Your response


You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms


 

heading for extinction 43:132
heading for extinction

They're everywhere, popping up like mushrooms but much uglier. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Believe you can or believe you can't... Either way you're right
Paul