Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Rock in the Bog

On 16 Jul 2007 at 8:58am Annoyed resident wrote:
Anyone go to 'Rock in the Bog' concert on field behind Malling....bl**dy racket all Saturday night.... woke up my 1 year old...flamimg hippies

On 16 Jul 2007 at 9:12am Andy wrote:
And how often does this event happen ?

On 16 Jul 2007 at 10:30am Annoyed resident wrote:
happened for last 3 years (1 or 2 nights)

On 16 Jul 2007 at 11:23am annoyed resident wrote:
apparently organized by cliffe bonfire society...STAY OVER YOUR SIDE OF THE TOWN...!!!!!

On 16 Jul 2007 at 11:23am Andy wrote:
Blimey....every night for the last 3 years....i'd be annoyed too

On 16 Jul 2007 at 11:24am Andy wrote:
Cliffe OWN the field....it's a future bonfire site

On 16 Jul 2007 at 1:13pm Annoyed resident wrote:
Noooooooooo....this field is flooded most of the winter

On 16 Jul 2007 at 3:07pm me wrote:
1 or 2 nights. you miserable git! seeing as you were given ample warning by all the posters may i suggest you pre plan for next year. It's no wonder nothing happens in this town when you have people complaining about 1 or 2 nights for which they have been pre warned, and no i am not a member of the cliffe, perish the thought.

On 16 Jul 2007 at 3:25pm Annoyed resident wrote:
Miserable gitess.....

On 16 Jul 2007 at 4:07pm Andy wrote:
It was on for ONE night because we looked after the daughter of someone who went.
One night a year....FFS

On 16 Jul 2007 at 6:09pm Angela Grand wrote:
Will you be complaining on November 6th about the bangs on the 5th keeping your children awake, thats only 1 night a year too.

On 16 Jul 2007 at 6:16pm me wrote:
Miserable gitess I laugh at your utter lack of local knowledge. I suggest that perhaps you move away before Nov 5th because you might be in for a shock if you don't like nightly noise.

On 16 Jul 2007 at 6:40pm CANNIS wrote:
The problem is November the 5th is NOT just one night it goes on 4 weeks before and four weeks after some of us get bloody fed up with it one or 2 nights is ok .

On 16 Jul 2007 at 8:01pm Northern Bigot wrote:
We live in a democracy! That means putting up with things you dont like ocassionally! There is this increasing mentality amongst some, that because "they" dont like something be it bonfire or a concert there wish should prevail, until heaven forbid the only things that happen are what pleases them!
Do you think i have liked the last ten years of Blair and his letter box gob spouse, losing control of our borders and going to war over non existant weapons of mass destruction! NO! But i have to except it because the country voted for it! Thats democracy folks!

On 16 Jul 2007 at 8:15pm Andy wrote:
I'm filling up mate.....Winston Churchill would've been proud
;o)

On 16 Jul 2007 at 9:18pm me wrote:
The problem with November the 5th moaners is that they drip and moan 4 weeks before and four weeks after, some of us get bloody fed up with it.

On 17 Jul 2007 at 1:59am commercially square wrote:
Ahh - the classic conflict of modernism - your right to pursue your heart's content Vs your compatriots' right to pursue theirs.
As far as waking a 1 year old up in the middle of the night - give us a break.

On 17 Jul 2007 at 8:40am Mrs Blairs Wig wrote:
Totally agree with the firework thing spreading into October, December not to mention New Year and when anyone has a party in the summer. BAN THEM or make them SILENT...they are a pain in the butt and a nuisance for pets/wildlife not to mention an attraction for morons who find it hilarious to chuck them into people's gardens etc....

On 17 Jul 2007 at 12:20pm ExiledfromLewes wrote:
With a name like Mrs Blairs Wig I wasn't sure that I was going to expect to find a sensible response. Banning them is not a sensible option, such an act would be a gross over reaction and would unfairly penalise Bonfire societies in the area who have had this tradition for generations.
Also how would you enact a ban would you suggest it should be just in Lewes so you can get your 'peace' or should it cover the entire country so not just bonfire societies, but Hindus on Divali and the Chinese community in London on their new year must also miss out.
i don't want to paraphrase some else in case i'm misinterpreting them, but I am sure Keith Austin of the Bonfire Council explained that if you banned them you'll just get people buying them illegally or making their own. That is the problem with bangers with some people making rookies out of fireworks because of the difficulty of buying them? (says my brother).
Lastly I've never heard anyone from a bonfire society (and I and my family have all been members), say that people should go around lobbing bangers into people gardens in October. The people you describe are morons as you stated, sadly all towns have them. There are also morons who get drunk in pubs and then past midnight throw up pass my parents home, should we ban pubs or Alcohol as well, No. If there are incidents concerning a minority then they should be dealt with, but not at the expense of the enjoyment of the majority and the towns traditions.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry for the long write....

On 17 Jul 2007 at 1:19pm Mrs Blairs Wig wrote:
yes...ban alcohol...it's responsible for anti-social behaviour, violence and results in a huge drain on the NHS that has to treat people who can't control themselves and drink excessively....also ban cigarettes....

On 17 Jul 2007 at 2:09pm ExiledfromLewes wrote:
Ok lets just live like the Amish then. When you think about it there are so many things that can cause problems, there are idiots who speed so cars should be banned, there are kids who are potentially influenced by video games and films ban them, ban all restaurants and cafes it's far healthier to live of are own produce than draining the NHS with our clogged arteries and heart attacks.

On 17 Jul 2007 at 2:31pm The Super K wrote:
ARGHHHHHHHH MORE NOISE KEEPING ME AWAKE HEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

On 17 Jul 2007 at 2:58pm Mrs Blairs Wig wrote:
Sounds OK to me

On 17 Jul 2007 at 7:20pm Northern bigot wrote:
All bonfire societies particularly those that maintain long held traditions should be applauded! They take to the streets and provide a patriotic dignified spectacle. They show commitment to a cause! Some people show commitment to a cause by driving a 4x4 into an airport terminal! Far more sensible in Lewes dont you think!

On 17 Jul 2007 at 10:09pm expat wrote:
They're taking the fun out of life here in NZ too. Banning the sale of fireworks. Maybe it's the fact it's often dry here in November, but don't take it away in the UK! Great memories are made by nights like Nov 5th. Smile and put up with it you miserable gits that don't like it, cos one day we'll have no bloody memories worth keeping, and no fun. If you're sensible and stay away from things you don't like, what's the problem? Use ear plugs, turn the telly up. Be a bit tolerant of people that do things you disagree with you lot.

On 18 Jul 2007 at 6:51pm hi- ho- silver wrote:
if we all rode horses like the Amish then we could get rid of the parking problem no men in blue coats ban all traffic from Lewes allow delivery's by horse and cart only traffic free Lewes

On 18 Jul 2007 at 8:53pm For The Record wrote:
If we all had horses - can you imagine the state of the streets? You'd be up to your knees in it!

On 18 Jul 2007 at 9:12pm Andy wrote:
My roses and sweet peas would be superb though ;o)

On 19 Jul 2007 at 12:32pm jimmy mac wrote:
I live directly in front of the field and even though the music was a bit loud, it was not a problem at all for us or our neighbours (who have a young child) as it was the weekend and we had been given good warning.
In addition the field was left in a perfect state, no evidence of litter anywhere and everyone seemed to have had a great time.
Seems that there can be little to be annoyed about....

On 19 Jul 2007 at 12:40pm The Super K wrote:
Cheers Jimmy,
tell me When are you coming back?

On 20 Jul 2007 at 8:05am Doctor Deaf wrote:
Get your ears syringed...

6 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Castle Penny 62:132
Lewes Castle Penny

Yes I do. Lady in her early 70's from Nunhead has heart problem ( thankfully slight) and is diabetic. Was in hospital on oxygen... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine