Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Ringmer Village Hall

On 19 Apr 2011 at 1:18pm A. Mazed wrote:
Don't forget to vote on the 5th May and give your opinion on the idea that the self elected Parish Council are suggesting:-
To increase your Council Tax by 125% to pay the £500,000 'improvements' to the Village Hall!
Yes I said 5th May not the 1st April.
Note also the planning application for a large 'portable building' (shed?) for the local Primary school to teach your children in.
Errmmmmm which is the most important to your family?

On 19 Apr 2011 at 1:50pm I don't believe it wrote:
I find this incredible in these stretched times! I've used the hall a few times........whatever are they thinking about!

On 19 Apr 2011 at 2:28pm MC wrote:
Makes Barcombe's recent update look particularly good. It took 10 years for us to get a new hall but it's fabulous and it cost the local tax payer nothing (possibly).
Also, the horrible permanent portacabin and asbestos canteen at the school has recently been replaced by a wonderful modern school extension.

On 19 Apr 2011 at 6:58pm Extra wrote:
I think Barcombe Parish Council purchased Cobbs Mead for £35,000 and have recently taken out a public services loan for another ¬£15,000 in order
to complete the project to the opening stage. Looks good.

On 20 Apr 2011 at 8:23am MC wrote:
A complete bargain then.

I hear Barcombe Village Hall is now open for hire for weddings, functions, parties, clubs, meetings, lectures etc: www.barcombe.org.
A lovely modern hall with two (almost) fully glassed walls overlooking the most glorious view Barcombe has to offer. The hall has a number of rooms, a great stage and a full size snooker table too.

On 20 Apr 2011 at 9:15am MC wrote:
This forum wouldn't let me post a link last time so lets have another go.

On 20 Apr 2011 at 9:16am MC wrote:
Ha, still won't. What a palaver

On 20 Apr 2011 at 9:18am A.Mazed wrote:
Well done Barcombe. Sounds like the Barcombe Parish Council and local residents have got the right idea.
Not like the Ringmer Council which is a body of unelected old fogies whose only interest is amateur dramatics!

On 20 Apr 2011 at 11:10am Ignore The Facts wrote:
I understood that one of the options being suggested by the Parish Council is an increase of £2.50 per month, less than the price of a Costa cup of coffee per household. Ringmer residents must be very lucky if that represents a 125% increase in their Council Tax.
I didn't know that the Parish Council was mainly made up of luvvies, how many of them are involved in amateur dramatics ?

On 20 Apr 2011 at 12:12pm Mr Forks wrote:
Does Mingmer actually need a new Village Hall though in these times of austerity?!

On 20 Apr 2011 at 12:53pm A.Mazed wrote:
I don't know where you got your info from Ignore The Facts. Get someone to read this extract from the Ringmer newsletter to you:-
"Ringmer Parish Council is consulting on whether residents are willing to pay for the village hall extension through their council tax. The extension is likely to cost something over half a million pounds, yet fund-raising has been bringing in only around £30,000 a year. The parish council could therefore take out a loan over a four-year or eight-year period, which would be paid back by upping the parish‚??s percentage of council tax.
The amount involved is likely to be around £56 a year for an average Band D property on a four-year payback period, or £30 a year for an eight-year period."

On 20 Apr 2011 at 1:21pm A. Mazed wrote:
The £56 p.a. over a 4 year pay back period is the figure quoted and is extra to the current precept of ¬£47.47 and equates to 199.31% if you want to split hairs.

On 20 Apr 2011 at 1:35pm Ronnie Harvard wrote:
Ignore The Facts, in answer to your question All of them and their latest production is Midsummers Daydream methinks!

On 20 Apr 2011 at 1:37pm Roly Mo wrote:
Oi Forks, wait until I next see you.

On 20 Apr 2011 at 2:43pm Ignore The Facts wrote:
£30 / 12 = ¬£2.50. Works for me.

On 20 Apr 2011 at 4:09pm A. Mazed wrote:
Oops, err sorry the percentage increase using the 4 year pay back figures should have read............an increase of 118.81%.

On 20 Apr 2011 at 4:16pm I Keep you wrote:
IGF with your creative accounting and the fact that you drink Costas coffee gives you away.
You must be on benefits with that mindset. I bet you know all the wriggles.

On 20 Apr 2011 at 8:17pm Expert wrote:
My parents have lived in the village for 30 years and never used the village hall. This rates up there with the poxy cycle path......PATHETIC

On 20 Apr 2011 at 8:51pm MC wrote:
If you'd said that of Barcombe I'd have wondered if they'd had any part in village life. I understand that for Ringmer, being so much bigger, things will be different.

On 20 Apr 2011 at 9:38pm A. Mazed wrote:
I agree Expert. Please encourage your parents and their friends to make it known how they feel about the suggested charge.

On 21 Apr 2011 at 2:58pm Ignore The Facts wrote:
In a way, it would be a shame if Expert's parents went to the Village Hall to express their view and thereby broke the habit of a lifetime. I also assume that they have never voted in the last 30 years.

On 21 Apr 2011 at 5:15pm Teachers Pet wrote:
Postal voters perhaps?
Now assume, strange but true........remove the u and you are saying ass me? It figures!

On 21 Apr 2011 at 9:15pm Extra wrote:
So why didn't a.mazed and others stand as Ringmer Parish Councillors?
I know it's too late now, but they could still be co-opted and work for the
good of Ringmer.
Barcombe PC need four co-opted members.

On 21 Apr 2011 at 9:31pm MC wrote:
I was going to ask "What are co-opted members?", but I looked it up. They seem to be none-elected parish councillors. If this is true why does a parish council require them?

On 22 Apr 2011 at 10:53am Teachers pet wrote:
Exactly MC, why do we need extra nonentities to spend our cash on useless projects? Q.E.D.

12 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Assad farewell 6:132
Assad farewell

This is a sad and infuriating subject, as so much misinformation is pushed, and the far-right lap it up as their truth. I was... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like tea and faerie cakes on the Castle Green
NCG