Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Respect on the Downs

On 29 Apr 2012 at 6:52pm cycleman wrote:
I've just read the Lewes District council Landport Bottom recreation consultation. I think it makes some interesting points including that 'different recreational groups (walkers, horse riders, cyclists, dog walkers) have little respect for each other, and there is considerable misunderstanding on the needs of each group'. The report was drawn up following questionaires which presumably only interested people completed. I think it is sad that this was the impression created but I wonder if it reflects people's experience of the Downs. I cycle and walk but have never had the impression that anyone was not respecting my right to use the Downs.
While I might sometimes get a bit annoyed by the path being churned up by horses or thoughtless dog owners leaving their dog's muck on the path, I wouldn't say I respect both these classes of Downs user any the less.
Does anyone have any views on this report?

On 29 Apr 2012 at 9:05pm middleclassandabitsmug wrote:
re dog muck. Anyone know what is going through the minds of those people who dutifully put the dog muck in plastic bags and then leave the bags, sometimes hanging from branches. Do they actually think they are doing good or is it some form of protest? At least the uncovered muck rots away. Anyone admit to doing this?

On 30 Apr 2012 at 8:34am Pete wrote:
Well, I filled in the questionnaire, and did state that I had respect for ALL users of the Downs. At a local meeting I think there was a small minority who disliked the horse riders, but I find them very pleasant to speak to. It's not as bad as the report seems to imply, all we have to do is say "good morning" or "afternoon" when we pass each other, then everything will be just fine.

On 30 Apr 2012 at 10:54am Mercian wrote:
There are a minority of Lewes dog walkers who seem to think that Landport Bottom is nothing more than a dog toilet. I have seen people drive up, park, let their dogs loose while standing at the gate, and then depart once the dogs have 'done their business'. It is really disgusting the amount of canine faeces on the paths and near the gate - a short walk from one gate yesterday took me past about eight little piles within 10 yards.
I think most dog walkers are reasonably respectful but it only takes a handful to ruin it for everyone.

On 30 Apr 2012 at 3:45pm I dont live in lewes... wrote:
Haven't any experience of Landport Bottom but frequently mountain bike from Seaford heading westerly in the direction of Bo-Peep, Firle Beacon, Kingston Ridge, Falmer ending up at Ditchling Beacon.
Beautiful scenery.
With few exceptions I have found people to be polite and courteous.
The only places I have noticed dog poo are near the car parks at Bo-eep, Firle and Ditchling where people congregate and even then it's insignigicant compared with the amount of horse, pony, sheep, rabbit and cow poo which is freely scattered over the Downs.
PhilX

On 30 Apr 2012 at 4:27pm Mercian wrote:
horse, pony, sheep, rabbit and cow = herbivores
dogs = carnivores
big difference. put horse muck on your roses on one half of the garden, and dog muck on the other. See what happens.
In any case the issue at Landport Bottom is that it is intensively used by dog walkers; more dogs will pass through each day than other animals combined.

On 30 Apr 2012 at 4:33pm Walker wrote:
Following your argument through, you seem to suggest it would be alright for me to s**t in the middle fo the downs as there are lots of other animals there who do.

On 30 Apr 2012 at 6:28pm Pope wrote:
Its perfectly allright to s**t in the middle fo Walker, its on the downs we dont like you to do it.

On 30 Apr 2012 at 7:23pm I dont live in lewes... wrote:
Mercian/ O/K to hebivores/ carnivores big difference.
Though I agree that not picking up after a dog is anti social I'm not convinced that putting your foot in a deep, freshly created steaming cowpat is a better experience.
Matter of opinion I guess.
PhilX

On 30 Apr 2012 at 7:30pm I dont live in lewes... wrote:
Walker.
In my post I suggest that there is likely more horse/rabbit/cow/sheep poo deposited on the Downs than there is dog poo.
That's because there's more horse/rabbit/cow/sheep than dogs.
As for you pooing on the Downs... If you have the urge then what ever floats yer boat mate.
Who am I to judge?
PhilX

On 1 May 2012 at 9:37am Chav wrote:
Its ok for you Phil wiv your colostimy bag. You just poo and drop it in a dog bin. No one is any the wiser.

On 1 May 2012 at 9:55am Walker wrote:
I don't live in Lewes
I agree that it's not a problem on 99.99% of the Downs. However Landport Bottom is right next to a town and easily accessed and is heavily used by dog walkers. Very heavily. There is a particular issue with the concentration of dog faeces around the gate and the paths near the gate. Foxes, badgers and horses don't selectively s**t around gates and on pedestrian paths near the entrances to the fields.
Chav - how do you have access to my email address? Are you connected to this website?

On 1 May 2012 at 10:18am Chav wrote:
Eh? Dunno what your on about. It aint the one your missus uses to contact me on the qt is it?

On 1 May 2012 at 12:17pm Walker wrote:
How do you know my name is Phil? The only place you could see that would be my email address, which isn't shown on here.

On 1 May 2012 at 12:20pm Paranoid wrote:
@Walker - If you read Chav's post you will see it is in reply to 'I Don't Live in Lewes' who always signs his posts 'PhilX'

On 1 May 2012 at 1:23pm Walker wrote:
I realised that just after I posted. But just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you.

On 1 May 2012 at 1:34pm I spy wrote:
So your name's Phil eh Walker. Not Phil Walker is it ?

On 1 May 2012 at 1:52pm i don't live in lewes... wrote:
OY Chav!,
Long time no chat mate.
How do you know my name's Phil?
You been looking at my pension book?
OK to colostomy bag.
You'd better be careful next time you go pick pocketing!
PhilX

On 1 May 2012 at 2:04pm i don't live in lewes... wrote:
Walker.
Dear Phil (one of the best names IMHO = lover of horses you know) agree foxes, badgers and horses don't selectively s**t around gates but cows and sheep sure do.
I honestly believe that the problem at Landport Bottom is more to do with local dog owners anti social behaviour than anything.
Refering back to the OP, the Downs covers a large area and although there may well be localised problems overall it's a great place to be.
PhilX

On 1 May 2012 at 6:24pm Chav wrote:
Yeah Phil walker, don't be paranoyd just cos your mrs keeps popping out and comes home sweaty.
Old man Phil, Ow are ya? I thought you were dead. Ive been trying to contact your nursing home to tell em I'm your only son.

On 1 May 2012 at 8:33pm i dont live in lewes wrote:
For me years I'm good mate, though a bit suprised that you're posting here as I thought you were still a guest at Her Majesty's Hotel.
Been a good boy and got parole? or did they boot you out cos they got busy?
Anyhowz, gotta go as Nursey says me hot tub's ready and I don't want to get on the wrong side of her.
PhilX

16 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Cliffe Tableau Sepp Blatter 26:132
Cliffe Tableau Sepp Blatter

Oh the irony more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine