Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

Recycled Rubbish

 
4
On 16 Nov 2011 at 6:07am Paul Newman wrote:
Greenleaf, the Green Party flyer, vindicates all of us who have been saying this is a dangerously extremist Party
As ever its all the money lenders fault, ( and the Grocers). Alfie Stirling explains how a shadowy cabal of "Bankers" are running the world, leaving 22% of the world with 2% of the world`s wealth. I pick on this bit, it could be any of it, just as one example of the childishness of the whole thing.
Free Trade and globalisation certainly throws up problems. In this country wages as a part of capital have declined from the 70s when, in this country they were too high, hence the joke we had become. No-one said capitalism was perfect or 'even'. However ,one group who have indisputably made fantastic gains are the truly poor of the world whose relatively cheap labour has deflated low skill rewards here, but enormously added to the material well being of the developing world. True Sub Saharan Africa has not motored on like Asia and Latin America but even there living standards are improving and this has been delivered by Free Trade, Capitalism and its Banks.
On behalf of the poor of the world I would like to thanks Alfie Stirling for wanting to stop this stop this process in its tracks.
Grow Up Alfie ,Thats all, grow up.
Ithenkyu , right off to work then .
2
 
On 16 Nov 2011 at 8:11am Lewes Lady wrote:
When I saw your post was called recycled rubbish I thought 'What a great title for one of your posts'...........hahahahah
Haven't you got something else you could be doing at 6am. Personally I'm usually slipping on my flimsies and getting a good fry up going.
 
 
On 16 Nov 2011 at 8:32am DFL wrote:
Good ol' fashioned Paul - garbage in, garbage out !
1
 
On 16 Nov 2011 at 9:19am Mercian wrote:
Capitalism is, certainly, the worst way to organise the world apart from all the others.
However this doesn't mean that anglo-saxon capitalism is the only way of running capitalism. Sweden, Japan and Hong Kong all have systems which broadly fall under the umbrella of 'capitalism', but it doesn't mean that they are alike at all or really that similar to what we have in the UK or US.
Indeed, the system in place in the world economy before the 1970s, which restricted global capital movements and 'hot money', resulted in much higher global growth including in the developing world, than the past few decades.
 
 
On 16 Nov 2011 at 11:59am someone else wrote:
Poor PN. All this impotent rage vented thro a local forum and repeated ad nauseam on a blog which is probably little read.

There are profound underlying issues of self-worth here somewhere.

Thing that struck me at some point recently: we know he moved from Islington and we know he works in corporate insurance, which is hardly a badly paid profession. And yet, on moving from Islington, he could only afford a house on the Nevill - as opposed to say Wallands or Southover, which is where most DFLs seem to move to. Strikes me that he must be quite bad at the business of making profit - ie that ol' free market capitalism that he so fondly espouses.

Funny, that.
 
 
On 16 Nov 2011 at 12:27pm Mercian wrote:
There's a big difference between DFLs who bought property in London before, say, 2002, and have benefitted from 200% odd house price inflation and can now afford big places in Lewes, and those who were still renting in London and can just about afford a more modest house here (and nothing In London)
Bear in mind you need an income of about £80k to buy a house in Nevill - after all 3 x that income gives you £240,000, assuming of course you have £80k as a deposit.
I know plenty of recent DFLs moving to Nevill who earn that sort of money. I also know plenty of people who have moved to Wallands or Southover who earn far less than that, but bought in London years ago and have built up loads of equity.
As I have said before, the important thing in buying a place now is not how much you earn, but when you bought your first place.
1
 
On 16 Nov 2011 at 12:36pm Mercian wrote:
I should add that I know ex-renting DFLs on salaries that would be considered high anywhere in the country who have bought houses in Landport.
 
 
On 16 Nov 2011 at 1:35pm Paul Newman wrote:
Me too Mercian, you should read the Pinch ,and I take it you did read the Guardian this morning, Ha Joon Chang`s article ? I thought that was ineresting actually.
On the " Ow much dosh has Newman got " debate errm, no comment ,and I must be somewhere else
Cheerio
 
 
On 16 Nov 2011 at 1:40pm Lewes Lady wrote:
Whether he is rich or poor, he is still a dullard.
 
 
On 16 Nov 2011 at 1:46pm The Greek wrote:
Oh Paul, you never fail to make me chuckle!
 
 
On 16 Nov 2011 at 2:35pm kettle wrote:
I think people should stop being quite so mean to PN. I quite enjoy seeing his posts because they seem to symbolise the power to hope in hopeless situations. How many people has he ever converted? None, I expect. Yet he carries on and on trying.
Also, though I am on the left wing side of nearly any debate myself, I admire his willingness to argue which many people on the left don't seem to want to do. Debate seems to shut down if you say anything outside the party line.
Of course PN does always run away when the debate gets to hot for him though...
 
 
On 16 Nov 2011 at 3:21pm Lewes Lady wrote:
Perhaps he should post about something other than politics once in a while...he comes across as being an obsessive nutter.
Come on Paul, what are you growing in your garden at the moment? do you like Aldi, Waitrose or Tesco best? what do you thinks of Bills?
 
 
On 16 Nov 2011 at 4:34pm Old Cynic wrote:
PN do you like music or art? What about films - go on enlighten us and prove you are a fully rounded human being.....
 
 
On 16 Nov 2011 at 7:32pm Paul Newman wrote:
You may have a point LL and OC , I suppose you do end up seeming a bit bonkers I sort of thought that was this place was for. I don`t want to blow my own Renaissance man trumpet but I do all the stuff you mention.
2
 
On 16 Nov 2011 at 9:26pm Matt Kent wrote:
@Paul. I'd love for you to come to a Lewes Green Party meeting to discuss your issues regarding capitalism. Even by your own admission, capitalism is not perfect. In today's society a measure of success is still GDP and mass consumption. Is this truly sustainable? Deep down we know not. Life is geared towards consuming and at some point will have to change.
Everything Alfie writes about in Greenleaf is fact, not 'childishness'. But I'm glad it struck a chord, as you must have read it. Alfie is very well versed in economics and well respected with the National Green Party. Its a real shame you never have any credible alternatives to Greens supposed 'extremist' views.
 
 
On 16 Nov 2011 at 9:35pm brixtonbelle wrote:
Matt Kent - Did you , or did you not, identify Polly Toynbee's house on this forum ? I note you haven't answered the other thread. Just want to know how trustworthy you are.
 
 
On 17 Nov 2011 at 6:47am Paul Newman wrote:
" You must come to the meetings ..." eh. I have a faith already and a subsequent engagement ta Matt. It is not a "fact" that the financial sector holds our Economy to ransom. It is not a "fact" that "Neo Liberalism" is leeching democracy from Europe. They are opinions, and wild ones. From Alfs perspective the entire mainstream political spectrum is "On the Neo Liberal Train".Ok, I invite you, then, to accept your own literature, and agree with me, that the Green Party are a Party of the far left. You cannot be cuddly environmentalists on the doorstep with crypto Communist policies. Simple as that.
 
 
On 17 Nov 2011 at 8:46am Trouble wrote:
Matt has answered the other thread, with something like "Sadly, yes". Go and have a look. His second post indicates he regretted his first.

Paul does come across as a lone singularly obsessed nutter with unpopular views that sometimes verge on the downright dangerous but....

...actually, that's all.
4
 
On 17 Nov 2011 at 9:21am Lewes Lady wrote:
I agree with Matt, consumerism is evil.
I saw an advert last night for an electric toothbrush that comes with an electronic timing device to let you know when you have cleaned your teeth for 2 minutes Is this how far we have evolved that we need all this superficial crap that costs money to live a happy life?

The Good Life, self sufficiency, simple living (eg Amish sort of) is the way forward for me...
 
 
On 17 Nov 2011 at 3:29pm Potato wrote:
LL - not having a go or anything, but how do you afford to live in Lewes if you don't get involved in consumerism in some way? I assume you (or your partner, or both) have a good job that pays/paid for your house?
3
 
On 17 Nov 2011 at 4:44pm LewesTrustafarii wrote:
Aiiii. Mi trust fund pays for mi eco lifestyle, feelin irie


16 posts left

Your response


You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms


 

Skate Park 104:132
Skate Park

I think it is unlikely that the IMF will be involved at all in our deficit Tom. The government have offered to give lots of money... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the fact it's safe enough to leave windows open and shops don't need to put grills up at night.
Maddie