Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Price of Road Fuel vs Price of Brent

On 2 Dec 2014 at 1:12am SHS wrote:
In autumn 2013 we were paying £1.37 for a litre of diesel. Since then oil prices have plunged 30% which should make diesel less than a £1 per litre. Certainly we should be paying a lot less than the current £1.24. Those with time on their hands to Occupy parliament square and fracking sites, please do some useful protesting.

On 2 Dec 2014 at 5:26am townie wrote:
On a slightly different note, for the first time in history, Lewes Tesco are selling their fuel 1p/litre cheaper than Lewes Esso.
Thought these two were in bed with each oher.
On 2 Dec 2014 at 8:59am ducatipete wrote:
Tesco fuel deal is good. I've got 20p off a ltr for December and will put 70 ltrs in my works van.

On 2 Dec 2014 at 9:51am Norton Norm wrote:
Doesn`t bother me much - My model 19r and chair still gets 60+ MPG.

On 2 Dec 2014 at 10:40am Ed Can Do wrote:
Even weirder than Tesco falling out of step with Esso is that for a long time now, the Texaco (as was) opposite the Newmarket has been cheaper than them both! Normally petrol stations on main roads are significantly more than those in towns. Asda at the marina is still the cheapest for miles around though.

One reason the price hasn't dropped 30% is that the actual cost of the fuel represents a very small amount of the cost to the business selling it. Most of what we pay for petrol goes to the government in fuel duty then the cost to the business of rent and wages and so forth doesn't go down when the price of crude falls. If anything, I imagine most people working in a petrol station are on minimum wage and they're the only people to have seen a payrise in the last decade (From a pathetically small amount to a slightly higher, pathetically small amount).

The lack of genuine competition in the market place doesn't exactly encourage price wars but there's more to the price of petrol than just the crude oil price.
On 2 Dec 2014 at 12:56pm SHS wrote:
Ed I am well aware of the amount of tax included in the fuel price (the govt is now panicking as a major source of revenue is cut). If your argument above has any resemblance to reality then how come the price of fuel rockets so rapidly when oil prices rise, with the oil companies telling us the rises are all due to the rise in wholesale prices? I smell a rat....
On 2 Dec 2014 at 6:35pm Pump Jockey wrote:
Min. wage and we have to make up the £oss from drive offs

On 3 Dec 2014 at 2:38pm Ed Can Do wrote:
Haha, I'm not suggesting for a second that big oil companies aren't guilty of profiteering, of course they are. I was merely saying that big business being greedy isn't the ONLY reason a 30% fall in the price of crude isn't matched by a similar drop in the price of petrol.

On 3 Dec 2014 at 3:29pm Taff wrote:
About time we had a 99p coin isnt it?
How do they work it out, legally, when you only want 1 litre to fill up your strimmer or similar?

On 3 Dec 2014 at 4:34pm Petrol Head wrote:
?? Taff ...same as they work it out if you want 50 litres. It is priced per litre isn't it?

On 3 Dec 2014 at 7:50pm ducatipete wrote:
Selmeston and Newmarket the cheapest around.

On 5 Dec 2014 at 1:45pm Taff wrote:
Try paying the asking price for 1 litre Petrol Head?

On 6 Dec 2014 at 10:19pm Fairmeadow wrote:
Every now and again either Tesco or the Esso garage is a penny cheaper than the other. I think they take it in turns. Otherwise we might start thinking they were an illegal cartel. Tesco if Eastbourne (where there is real competition between garages) still cheaper than Tesco in Lewes, as it has been for years.

24 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Cliffe Tableau 2015 24:132
Cliffe Tableau 2015

I see you still pay no attention to the bits that might tax the old grey cells. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy