Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Poor Lewes

On 26 Nov 2017 at 8:43pm Paul Togevver wrote:
Before the invasion of RMH's. (Recently moved here's) Lewes was superb. KH could have come and gone with little or no recognition. We all knew each other and enjoyed our town. Now it has become a nasty little London. It's a real shame we have the damn rail link to the dirty city. We've had the best of it. Now it's rotten to the core. So sad. The dirty money has well and truly arrived. You horrible thieves. You've collectively killed our beloved town. I wish you would take your Tobias's and your Clarissa's away but it won't happen will it? You awful nasty immigrants .
On 26 Nov 2017 at 9:49pm Tut wrote:
Tutti bye then. It's called progress.
On 26 Nov 2017 at 9:56pm Staying in wrote:
Nasty little London? Brighton is becoming a nasty little London so I think Lewes is safe for a year or 2. Everyone's in bed by 9!
On 26 Nov 2017 at 10:15pm Q wrote:
In another time the movement of people from London to Lewes would have been called "white flight". Interesting that most would be horrified by this description and would tie themselves in knots to avoid it. But why else move away from all that London has to offer to live in little old Lewes and then moan that it isn't quite London?
On 26 Nov 2017 at 10:26pm Earl of Lewess wrote:
Remember that a lot of DFLs aren't actually Londoners. They moved there in search of work during their 20s, but when they started to settle down, they couldn't wait to get away. However, I agree that the town is changing from a mixed area into a place that feels increasingly like an affluent borough of London.
On 26 Nov 2017 at 11:24pm London Borough of Lewes wrote:
Interesting that so many people move somewhere and then try to change it into where they moved from. In the case of Lewes its uptown ghettoizing, a place where the Chelsea tractor may come in useful,a place with limited ethnics, but a good place to wave your Refugees Welcome banner, while your bags are packed just in case the refugees do come.
On 26 Nov 2017 at 11:27pm Amon Wildes wrote:
Oh how I hate these sanctimonious posts. ĎIím truly Lewes and everyone who moves in is inferiorí. I lived here in the 70ís, my kids were born here, went to London to be trained and have come back to have their families here. And since you ask -yes of course you didnít - they work in jobs that benefit this local society hugely. Towns who donít have immigration (what an emotive word!) die a slow death. Lewes is the County Town and has always had new and interesting people moving here to work and live. Get over it.
On 27 Nov 2017 at 7:49am Paul Cox wrote:
Ma members are doing their best to shut your wee train sairvice.
On 27 Nov 2017 at 11:01am Observer wrote:
As usual, the posts on here reveal that people in Lewes really don't know very much about London, or the people who move here from the big city. I move mostly but not exclusively around DFLs (sorry) and have never heard anyone say that they want Lewes to be more like London. I'm not sure anyone was fleeing from the horrible multicultural city - rather fleeing from house prices, particularly for family homes.
Meanwhile I note in a Lewes history book I've just pulled off my shelf - "Grange Road and surrounding streets were built in the late 1800s to cater for the demand for homes in Lewes from London commuters."
On 27 Nov 2017 at 12:56pm Amon Wildes wrote:
Yes indeed Observer. Most of the housing behind the castle was built in about ten years by Two Lawyer developers in the early 19th century. Most of us have no idea how our towns develop and why. Many small market towns in England are same as Lewes: absorbing a flow of new people who revitalise the Town and its economy. I hesitate to suggest that more Lewes Born and Bred should perhaps get out more and visit some other parts of the U.K. to observe that Lewes is not unique.

27 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Cliffes Cliff 27:132
Cliffes Cliff

The repeated attempts to dismiss the covid-19 pandemic as just another flu outbreak ignores a key difference. Flu victims feel... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell