Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Police Cuts

On 25 May 2017 at 11:01am The Greek wrote:
If Emperor May had heeded to the police's advice in 2015, could the Manchester and attacks like it have been avoided?

From my recent experience of dealing with the police, they are overstretched and don't have time to engage in proper neighbourhood policing any more.

Check it out here »
On 25 May 2017 at 11:03am The Greek wrote:
Her response, which is very patronising.

I really honestly don't wish to make a political point out of the deaths of others, but the fact we have lost 20,000 police officers needs to be discussed at a time like this.

Check it out here »
On 25 May 2017 at 11:12am Clifford wrote:
Sorry, The Greek, that's not allowed on here. If you say Labour is 'soft on terrorism' that ISN'T a political point. If you say the Tories' cuts in police numbers are making it more difficult for them to deal with terrorism, that IS a political point. See how the game is played?
On 25 May 2017 at 11:18am Deja Vu wrote:
Same point as I am making on the down and out thread, apparently it's not enough that their finances and officers have been severely stretched, they now have to police Network Rail (even though BTP have better finance than the real Police already).
I thought the whole point of raising the threat level to critical was so the army can be deployed on the streets to do this kind of role, so that the Police can get on with other more important things like watching the 3,500 UK citizens that have been identified as possible terrorists.
On 25 May 2017 at 11:57am The Greek wrote:
Exactly. Fallon was challenged on that point on Channel 4 news and was asked if it was some form of posturing for the election.. of course he categorically denied it.

Troops are obviously a last resort and must partly be because of the loss of police. The first duty of any government is to protect its people, and this one seems to have failed.
On 25 May 2017 at 12:29pm Newms wrote:
I think people are just starting to realise how savage the cuts have been and not just 20,000 Police
NHS- Since 2010 the growth in the budget has been 0.6% but prior to that it averaged 5.4% in the previous 15years and needed to for demographic reasons ( IFS) That is a cut and that is why the NHS is in crisis …think of the lies we have been told !
Now Schools are being cut per pupil about 6% percent in the next two years but it will be worse in Sussex and this is also in the context of previous rising funding – teachers will lose jobs children will not be taught and we are only 19th in the world now .. and yet there is money for this absurd Grammar school nonsense !They are still talking about rises in spending ( a statement only salvageable by ignoring pupil numbers ) , a lie .
Maria Caulfield actually voted for this ,
On Manchester I still can`t face “debating “ … it’s just too appalling so excuse me for meandering off topic, every time I try to think about it I just feel utterly depressed.
On 25 May 2017 at 12:34pm Wally alert wrote:
Talking amongst yourselves again...yawn
On 25 May 2017 at 1:08pm Billy wrote:
Hey newms, don't you think, if you were any good you would be a high flyer somewhere instead of posting your regurgitated tedium on this forum?
On 25 May 2017 at 2:31pm Actually... wrote:
When Paul isn't posting walls of text he does often make good points.
On 25 May 2017 at 3:24pm Newms wrote:
You have a point Billy ,I`m not much good I`m not a high flyer, I never said I was.What I was trying to point out is how we are being lied to about the extent of cuts by misusing figures. the Police are over stretched , the NHS is in crisis and schools in Lewes and the country are being squeezed
That's why the headmasters wrote to parents to ask them to campaign and help.
Our MP makes all the right noises but votes for the cuts !!!!
I am well aware I am not all that bright but I do resent being treated like a gullible child -
Just my opinion
On 25 May 2017 at 3:59pm Another way wrote:
All our public facing services are being hit by cuts. At a time when demands continue to increase. The result is the disadvantaged in society suffer. Why are the private sector and ring-fenced multi-millionaires not paying more into the UK. Labour and Conservative governments have protected Russian and other millionaires and global corporates to pay less. This must stop or else the people will rise up.........
On 25 May 2017 at 4:04pm Dexter wrote:
So Paul, when was your epiphany that infact all these Tory cuts have been a disaster? I seem to remember you being a cheerleader some time ago, decrying the profligacy of the New Labour government, an evangalist for the cut's cause and a denier that the banks had made off with an unimaginable load of our cash (and continue to do so) and subsequent effect on the countries economy.
That's not to say that your point isnt' correct.
I would add that I think our MP makes all the wrong noises but I guess that depends on which side of the fence you're standing.

On 25 May 2017 at 10:53pm Feline wrote:
So do we all want to pay higher taxes to address the problems of our aging population, increased risk of terrorism, greater impact of pollution and global warming, etc. I could go on. But, as JK Galbraith said, private affluence and public squalor. Do we trade our private consumption for the public good? Of course, do we recognise our private consumption? Don't we all feel that we haven't got enough?

24 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Cliffe Bonfire Society Penny 21:132
Cliffe Bonfire Society Penny

Clean your own place. Most people do. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell