Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

Pitiful state of Lewes roads

7
 
On 1 Feb 2017 at 4:56pm Jeff wrote:
Does our Highways department actiually do anything, do they even look at the road surfaces to see if they need redoing.
The roads around Cliffe are especially bad, have you seen the bottom end of Cliffe high street? It's bloody ridiculous.
I've written to Geoffrey Mitchell Geoffrey.Mitchell@eastsussexhighways.com at the Highways but had absolutely no response.
Where does our Council Tax go?
4
2
On 1 Feb 2017 at 4:59pm Clifford wrote:
It's like it everywhere Jeff, as you probably know. We're 'rip off Britain' in more ways than one.
10
 
On 1 Feb 2017 at 5:18pm Bob wrote:
Does make you wonder doesn't it. We have one of the most expensive council tax rates in the entire country but don't seem to get very much value from it.
8
2
On 1 Feb 2017 at 5:21pm The people wrote:
Do they have a plan for road repairs, should be published as we pay their salaries.......
6
4
On 1 Feb 2017 at 5:53pm Harry wrote:
Some of the roads in the Malling area are in a bad way. I reported some of them on the FixMyStreet website at the end of last winter. They closed my reports and did nothing. Now they are twice as bad as they were a year ago. I don't blame local government, I blame central government who have cut funding on just about everything.
7
1
On 1 Feb 2017 at 6:03pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
The roads in East Sussex generally are diabolical imo. Even quite major roads have huge holes in - I drove up the A26 from Newhaven the other day, and that's in a dreadful state.
I'm sure constantly driving over ruts and potholes must knacker your suspension.
12
5
On 1 Feb 2017 at 6:41pm Roadman wrote:
I'm sure the council would love to have the resources to re surface every road just as the NHS would love to have the resources to treat every patient properly. I don't blame the government for under funding, I blame the electorate who vote in a government that pledges not to raise tax but expect to have top public services. We are more prosperous than ever but as an electorate chose to keep the money rather than have a better NHS and better roads.
1
2
On 1 Feb 2017 at 6:46pm La deportee wrote:
They resurfaced the slip road between meridian and bliss last week not much wrong with it before and very nice now btl there are loads of roads that need doing more than that one did
8
4
On 1 Feb 2017 at 7:05pm The Greek wrote:
A series of hard winters around 2010, following the financial crash when budgets were tight, compounded by the fact that people keep electing Tory governments who are starving local authorities of money.
1
3
On 1 Feb 2017 at 8:18pm L'escapee wrote:
We need 2cv's to cope with the roads.
1
2
On 1 Feb 2017 at 8:20pm L'escargot wrote:
Mais oui
6
5
On 1 Feb 2017 at 11:16pm Clifford wrote:
Roadman wrote: 'I blame the electorate who vote in a government that pledges not to raise tax but expect to have top public services.'

No Roadman, what they do is keep income tax down because that helps the wealthier. But they constantly up taxes on consumption, like VAT, because proportionately that affects the middle and poorer. Governments exist to protect their masters, the owners, not to serve the people, who in the end are their servants.
3
9
On 1 Feb 2017 at 11:24pm Shut it clifford and co wrote:
Pppppplllleeeaassee giveitarestival clifford
3
1
On 2 Feb 2017 at 12:15am Roadman wrote:
I don't know why you say no Clifford as I agree with you. For some reason the electorate still voted for them.
8
1
On 2 Feb 2017 at 9:33am The Greek wrote:
And yes it is down to central Government as council tax is merely a "contribution" towards services. Taxation from central Government goes to Local Authorities too,. At the moment the Tories are starving cash to Local Authorities to pass the buck to them (think lack of social care, roads etc).
And Roadman you are totally right. People will bleat on about the state of hospitals, roads, schools etc but still vote Conservative and have a heart attack if they're asked to pay 1% more tax.
We need to raise corporation tax, even the US have it at 35% but have lower rates of personal tax. I think we'd all prefer that. But no Emperor May is pushing to have the lowest rate of corporation tax in the G7, cutting it by 2.5%. If we raised it by 0.5% we could pay off everyone's student debt. Makes me think.
The argument of "if it's lower they'll pay" is spurious. Close the loopholes and enforce it better. Successive governments have failed to get tough on the issue.
Before someone tells me "business will leave". Businesses go where there is a market, tax is just a part of their overheads. If businesses loved no regulation why isn't HSBC HQ in a central African country. Exactly, no market there.
3
1
On 2 Feb 2017 at 10:09am Observer wrote:
i what they do is keep income tax down because that helps the wealthier.
That's rubbish Clifford. The tax free threshold has risen a lot over recent years meaning a lot of low earners don't pay tax at all. Meanwhile it's 40k over 60k which is one of the highest in the world. Of course the ultra wealthy can get around all this, but the 'moderately wealthy' pay a lot of tax on income.
2
1
On 2 Feb 2017 at 11:05am Tom Pain wrote:
All quite correct Greek but no one is going to close those tax loopholes because their corporate sponsors won't let them. The liblabcons are all beholden to the money power that creates the credit which is necessary to turn the wheels of commerce. If you can see a way out of that impasse I'd love to hear it.
 
2
On 2 Feb 2017 at 5:05pm Fred Flinstone wrote:
I dont know what wrong - The road are all 'yabba dabba doo' round these parts
 
 
On 2 Feb 2017 at 7:03pm Clifford wrote:
Roadman, Yes, we agree. Hurried writing on my part.
 
1
On 2 Feb 2017 at 7:20pm Taff wrote:
As no one has mentioned Fisher Street I guess most contributors do not live locally.


17 posts left

Your response


You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms


 

Cliffe Tableau 2015 Lewes 23:132
Cliffe Tableau 2015 Lewes

Nobody knows how those climate changes occurred, so those scientists have the same reaction as you. Ignore it and hope everyone... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell