Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

Phoenix development abandoned

 
 
On 30 Mar 2009 at 3:29pm Local wrote:
Sussex Express website is reporting that Style has admitted defeat over his Phoenix plans.
'We are going to put it on hold for the time being and we don't know when we are going back with the planning application.
'We have put it on hold because with the economy slowdown it makes very difficult to get any funding for any development.'
The Express asked Mr Style how long the project would be 'on hold'.
He said: 'For the time being until we decide what to do.'
We'll take that as a 'for ever' then. Now perhaps we can think about a sensible development in the area rather than 700 jerry-built flats on a flood plain.
 
 
On 30 Mar 2009 at 5:09pm Geoff wrote:
I don't think we should assume that we have permenantly got rid of Mr Style (a bit like TB) But I do think it is a good idea to take this extended breathing space to develop more sensible ambitions for the flood plain.
 
 
On 30 Mar 2009 at 5:40pm Bonfirek wrote:
As long as there no plans for big houses for DFL's. How about small houses for local people only, discounts applicable if you were born in Lewes! About time the locals had something rather than all the DFL sh*t thats hoisted upon us
 
 
On 30 Mar 2009 at 5:46pm Local wrote:
Bonfirek wrote: 'As long as there no plans for big houses for DFL's.'
I'm sure you're right Bonfirek. If Style's plan had gone ahead we would have blocks of flats for DFLs and buy-to-let landlords at inflated rents. As it is now we've got the opportunity to do some serious thinking that includes proper homes for local people while preserving jobs on the industrial estate.
 
 
On 30 Mar 2009 at 7:18pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
Good riddance. Hopefully we can still have a cinema back without all the yuppie homes attached to it.
 
1
On 30 Mar 2009 at 7:30pm Local wrote:
Earl of Lewes: the cinema was never going to appear. Look at what Angel Property promised people at the Jam Factory in London. It was always going to be a scam. And now, as you say, good riddance. I'd love a cinema in Lewes again - All Saints is okay for now but the seats are so hard!
 
 
On 30 Mar 2009 at 8:02pm It Came From Outer....Sussex! AAAAAGH wrote:
I'm not from round these parts but like it and intend to stay. Lived in London on + off for about 7 years of my life, was born there in fact; however I've lived in a grubby suburban mess out of the smoke for 20 odd years, and away at colleges for a few years too. Now I've arrived here and hear a lot of moaning about DFLs and UFBs.

Do I qualify as a a DFL? & why so much localism?
 
1
On 30 Mar 2009 at 8:10pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
My heart bleeds for Charles Style (not).
 
 
On 30 Mar 2009 at 8:34pm Realist wrote:
That land will be developed as soon as the market picks up - whether it is 2 years or 5. Barrett Homes (or whoever) will not be as accommodating as Charles Style and there is little LDC can do about the riverside part of the site. Who on earth is going to build a cinema (or 'proper homes for local people' - whatever they may be) without large quantities of commercial or residential development?
 
 
On 30 Mar 2009 at 9:56pm Good riddance wrote:
Realist, there is actually plenty that LDC can do to ensure realsitic development on the site that meets with reasonable levels of approval. It is wsether they are willing to or not that is the question. Currently however they are looking at a public vote of no confidence. the only reason they did something this time is because harassed, and beleagured members of the public got involved. Anne De Vecchi was quite happy to be scmoozed by Style, until a Lewesian revealed what he was up to in Sarf London.
 
 
On 31 Mar 2009 at 8:59am Local wrote:
You're right Good Riddance, the way LDC bent over backwards to help Style - spending a lot of our money in the process - has been disgraceful. If it wasn't for the opposition of a good deal of the town we would be well on the way to having 700 jerry-built flats on a flood plain. LDC have quite a few questions to answer.
 
1
On 7 Apr 2009 at 2:21pm Ed Can Do wrote:
Regarding a cinema, I know of at least one person who is looking to turn Woolworths into an independent cinema. Whether such a proposal is viable or not is a different question of course.
Luckily, now Lewes is in the National Park there's a small chance that after 2011, developers will no longer be able to just put up any old crap in the industrial estate. Sadly, the majority of small scale decisions will still be made by LDC but bigger projects will go to the National Park board who might take things like being on a flood plain and being generally rubbish into account.
It Came From Outer....Sussex! AAAAAGH, you are indeed a DFL. The reason there's so much animosity towards people moving into the area is that in recent years, there's been a huge influx of people moving to the town from London which has pushed the house prices sky high, meaning that those of us who were born and grew up here in Lewes can no longer afford to live here. Add to that a tendency for DFLs to assume they know what's best for the town after living here 6 months and you can see why locals aren't too fond of "outsiders".


25 posts left

Your response


You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms


 

Ann of Cleves 2:132
Ann of Cleves

I think it is unlikely that the IMF will be involved at all in our deficit Tom. The government have offered to give lots of money... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine