Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Pells pool admission prices.

On 24 Jul 2008 at 4:01pm WTF wrote:
I have just been robbed in daylight by Lewes district council. I was charged 3.80 to stand and supervise my daughter whilst she had a dip in the pool. I didn't go swimming, i didn't take up a table, chair or even a single blade of grass as i stood up the whole time.
Now forgive me if i'm wrong but this 3.80 would also allow me a swim in the cloudy, near arctic water which is still unbelievably high. It's the first day of the summer holidays for many and if the weather's going to be nice, it will cost parents an absolute fortune.
It was also 2 for my daughter.....still fairly high for somewhere that offers few ammenities.
When is this council going to learn that not everyone in Lewes has a disposable income similar to a small nations arms budget.

On 24 Jul 2008 at 4:04pm Roly Mo wrote:
Get your facts right, it has nothing to do with LDC.

On 24 Jul 2008 at 4:51pm The Tooth Fairy wrote:
Pells Pool is run on a charitable basis. It needs all the money it can get. You didn't spend your childhood summers there like us. Go to the leisure center if you want a flume etc. What did you expect from a Victorian open air pool, a wave machine?

On 24 Jul 2008 at 4:55pm Ethel Merman. wrote:
I bought a season ticket last year.Maybe look into getting one if you are thinking of going to the Pells on a regular basis.

On 24 Jul 2008 at 5:01pm WTF wrote:
That's exactly it, it's an open air, victorian pool, nothing more yet they have the cheek to charge extortionate amounts to stand there and watch. The water didn't even look clean.
And for your information, i spent every waking hour of my childhood down there in the mid 70's

On 24 Jul 2008 at 9:18pm madge wrote:
It is expensive wherever you go with children these days & the charges made at pells is the only way this amenity can be kept open. We are very lucky to have it & its worth every penny to keep it.

On 25 Jul 2008 at 2:06am bubble wrote:
Well said Madge, we are very lucky to have the Pells, long may it remain, (and I think the costs are quite reasonable when you think that you can occupy a child for several hours and join in too for under a tenner!

On 25 Jul 2008 at 8:09am Peter File wrote:
I think you should rephrase that bubble before you get into trouble.

On 25 Jul 2008 at 8:41am sashimi wrote:
Pells Pool prices have been held at the same level for the last four years. It gets a grant from the Town Council. It makes an operating loss in really bad years like 2007 and a profit in good ones like 2006 and (we hope) 2008. All the surplus goes into maintenance and improvement of the facilities. The 3.80 charge allows you to stay there all day - and many families picnic on the lawn.

On 25 Jul 2008 at 10:28am SHS wrote:
Have to agree with WTF here - do we pay 500 to fly to Paris because for the same ticket we could fly to Australia? Pell's should have a discretionary 1 no-swim ticket for up to 45 minutes. Discretionary because on a busy day it may be impossible to police full-day folks that try to use the cheaper ticket. I wonder if Pells would take more money if they made all admissions 1?

On 25 Jul 2008 at 2:53pm WTF wrote:
It wouldn't be so bad if it was a one off but the kids usually want to go there at least two or three times a week !!! Then, we're getting into the "super rich" terratory because i certainly can't afford the best part of 25 a week and they insist on supervising children under 8.

On 25 Jul 2008 at 2:56pm zola wrote:
Don't they do a family season ticket?

On 25 Jul 2008 at 3:02pm Mr Tumble wrote:
If it is that dirty and you don't want to spend the money, why don't you go down to Barcombe Mills? We used to as kids.
On 25 Jul 2008 at 6:59pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
How much is it to get into the pool at the leisure centre? I'm sure that was a similar amount last time I went and risked chlorine poisoning.
You can hardly blame the pool's management for the fact that you elected not to swim.

On 25 Jul 2008 at 8:28pm SHS wrote:
I hope global warming speeds up then they'll be a sandy beach at the old bus station and we can swim for free, take a boat to Brighton and hear the surf when we wake up!

On 25 Jul 2008 at 8:36pm sashka wrote:
I think 5.60 is a lot for two people to go to a pool, especially if one isn't swimming. However, I think it would be a good idea to have a polite chat with whoever runs the pool. They may have an option to keep costs down for you, and if they don't it might just be that as a charity they haven't had time to cover all options. they might even be grateful if you raise it, as it could be putting others off. Sometimes a problem can be solved very easily, and everyone ends up happy.

On 26 Jul 2008 at 9:49am The Tooth Fairy wrote:
The easiest way to keep costs down is not to go there. What do you people expect to pay? Nothing? If the place were to close you'd be the first to moan. Where else can you enjoy the summer at an open air pool. Pay up.

On 26 Jul 2008 at 11:07am WTF wrote:
No i don't expect to pay nothing but i don't expect to have to pay a full swimming adult price when i HAVE to supervise my child swimming because she's under 8.
Have you not read anything i've written.
Do you not think that an adult (supervising) and two kids at a price of 7.80 for an hour....3 times a week in the school holiday = 23.40 a week = 140.40 for the hols is a bit over the top.

On 26 Jul 2008 at 12:53pm sashimi wrote:
I am afraid that non-swimmers admitted at a reduced rate they have regularly abused the privilege. The only way you could police a different rate fairly would be if there was a coloured band system with timed swimming sessions. But most people don't seem to want that as many families come for the afternoon and are in and out of the pool at different times. The question always arises at busy times when lifeguards are under most pressure and are least able to manage another distraction. I sympathise with WTF. I resented paying more to go to Thorpe Park than my children who spent the day on those awful rides which I did my best to avoid. But that's how the facility finances itself.

On 26 Jul 2008 at 1:23pm juju wrote:
Oh, Sashimi you never said you had a phobia!

On 28 Jul 2008 at 12:20pm Enoch wrote:
Look into Season Tickets - a family ticket is around 140 but you would have to make it pay by going regularly. They also do block swims of 10 at a reduced rate. Pick up a leaflet next time you are there. I realised that I was getting really boring just supervising kids so decided to get stuck in an join them - give it a go you might enjoy yourself! It helps to dive straight in and not do it gradually.

On 28 Jul 2008 at 3:49pm Russell wrote:
I am a member of the Pells Pool Community Association management committee and a a charity trustee. We on the committee very much welcome feedback on admission prices and any other issue relating to the running of the Pells Pool. After all we are just Lewes residents and users of the pool who want to secure the future of the pool for the enjoyment of as many in the district as possible. I do hope that the concerns voiced in this forum have also been addressed directly to the committee or to our pool manager, Phil Ransley, who has his office at the kiosk.

The pool is managed by a voluntary group the PPCA, which is a not for profit limited company with charitable status, on behalf of the Town Council who administer the Townsbrook Trust of which the pool is a part. It is not a municiple pool and although the Town Council generously award the pool an annual grant of 10,000 the pool has to stand on its own two feet. The only revenue the pool has apart from the TC grant, some generous donations from local businesses and individuals and the occasional one off small grant, is admissions including season tickets, hiring out for functions like kids birthdays and sales of refreshment at the kiosk.

It may be a Victorian outdoor unheated pool but it has to conform to all the regulations currently in place. We have to employ properly trained and qualified life guards in numbers sufficient to safely manage the swimmers we might expect We have to maintain the water quality to strict standards and actually the water quality at the pool has never been better and it has always been good since the PPCA took over. Partly this is to do with the upgrading of the equipment which controls water quality but largely to the dedication and skill of our pool manager Phil Pansley. I am sure Phil the would be happy to demonstrate how water quality is maintained should he be asked. He takes a particular pride in this aspect of the pools running.
The pool needs constant maintenance and improvement. Shortly we will be building facilities for disabled users and we have plans to improve the kiosk, changing rooms, paddling pool, pool surround surface and further upgrading of the filtration plant so that we can open regularly in the mornings. One of those regulation means that our lifeguard are not permitted to supervise children of 8 years and under.
All of this costs money and as yet we haven't discovered an unlimited supply on tap to finance our overheads and future wish list. Currently the government is not very supportive of outdoor pools and presently we do not qualify for Lottery funding.
So, in short the pool still exists because Lewes and district people use it. The down side of this fact is we have to pay for it but the good side is that it is ours and if we support it we keep it. It is as simple and I think as exciting as that.
The committee thinks long and hard every year about entrance prices and as one of the contributor said this year we have held the prices at the 2007 level. Nevertheless, as I said at the opening of this response we very much welcome feedback and ideas regarding entrance prices and any other issues and I do hope the committee or Phil at the pool appear approachable and that you will address concerns directly to us. We also invite and suggestions regarding possible funding sources.
We may be volunteers but we take the management of the pool, the safe enjoyment of the swimmers, and the pools secure future very seriously. Either call in at the kiosk for a chat or write to or email any of us. Contact details can be found on the website www.pellspool.org.uk or on the back of our leaflets. The committee meets fortnightly and there is a meeting tonight during which I will raise all the issues discussed in this forum so far.

On 28 Jul 2008 at 4:30pm Ethel Merman wrote:
That was a very informative post,thanks for taking the time to answer.I really love the Pells pool and was a daily visitor when I was a child.We had the diving boards and the springboard then....I suppose they were deemed unsafe?
Anyway,here are the prices I just got off the website.
Prices:
All day tickets:
Adult - 3.80
Junior & Concessions * - 2.00
Family (2 adults and 2 children) - 10.00
Children under 2 - free
Swim Saver card:
Junior and concessions* - 16.00
Adult - 32.00
Happy Hour: 6 - 7 pm
Adult 2
Junior & Concessions 1
Season Ticket:
Adult - 63.00
Junior & Concessions* - 37.00
Family - 145
Questions.
What does the 'swim saver' mean?
And maybe you could consider doing a consession on the family season ticket.I think that is a must really.As it stands 145 seems a lot of money,especially with the dodgy last couple of summers.If you did,I'm sure you would get more families and therefore more ice cream,tea,coffee sales etc.Does that make sense?
But you all do a fine job and I'm really pleased it was re-opened.Was a sad loss when it shut.Well done.

On 29 Jul 2008 at 10:06am Russell wrote:
Alas the springboard and the diving boards had to go when the regulations changed regarding the required depth of water below the boards. We loved the boards as well and we still miss them. I know they provided a lot of fun.
I will certainly check on the concession situation relating to family season tickets and report back. Anyone wishing to contact me directly about admission prices email me at russellgbeck@hotmail.com. Any suggestions for extra helpful information that you might like to see on the website will be gratefully received. I am aware that not all our swimmers have access to the web so please do feel free to call the kiosk or drop me a line at Open Space, 11a St Nicholas Lane, Lewes, BN7 2JY. This way you can add items to the committee meeting agenda to make sure your ideas or queries are discussed. Our next meeting is the 11th of August.
Bit of bad news and good news.
Last week the kiosk was broken in to and although only a few cokes and one collection box were stolen the break-in generated 500 worth of structural damage. It is too small an amount to claim against insurance, what with the excess and the danger of next years premium jumping up, so it's money down the drain.
The good news is our newest lifeguard on her first day dived in and scooped up a baby that had managed to crawl from the paddling pool to the main pool and roll in under the nose of its mother. The littlies can move fast when they want to but fortunately so can our experienced and dedicated lifeguards.
Kindest regards to all our swimmers. Russell

On 29 Jul 2008 at 10:17am Ethel wrote:
Thanks for that Russell. Shame about the break in...
Hope the meeting went well.Stay in touch.

On 29 Jul 2008 at 10:41am Nevill Resident no 3 wrote:
Russell You must be proud of your lifeguards for the quick thinking I bet that mum was and will be for eve in that lifeguards debt.
Maybe a post on here asking for builders to help repair the kiosk free of charge would get some replies.
You would think a few of Lewes Kind hearted developers could stump up and help with this .

On 29 Jul 2008 at 10:59am Taff wrote:
Great idea asking for help to do the repair. Speaks volumes on why it should be needed in the first place though.
Yet again where are the bobbies on the beat?
May not have prevented this but if there was a greater police presence then it should go some way to making these persons think a bit more before wilfully damaging property.

10 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Five Lewes Pounds 37:132
Five Lewes Pounds

Well Basil you could try posting about something and see what people's reaction is. I don't mean just the state of the forum but,... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the Walking to Mount Caburn at the weekend, Lounging about in Southover Grange Gardens eating strawberry ice cream in summertime, Proms in the Paddock, wicked night
A Kane