Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Parking consultation in Malling

On 10 Aug 2011 at 9:19am John Stockdale wrote:
We had the mini-surgery and public meeting last night. 92 people came to the afternoon surgery to talk to Atkins, ESCC's consultants doing the on-street parking review and to the ESCC officer in charge. 72 people came to the evening meeting. At the end of the meeting there was a unanimous vote against the proposed Zone J extending the parking scheme to South Malling and surrounding areas. The people in South Malling don't want it, the people in New Malling (outside the proposed zone) don't want it and nor, we believe, do the Police HQ. We agreed that there isn't an insoluble parking problem in the area; but there will be if the CPZ is extended as proposed. There was also a unanimous vote in favour of scrapping the parking scheme throughout the Town.
On 10 Aug 2011 at 10:09am Ed Can Do wrote:
So when can we expect the line painting to begin?

It's great that so many people showed up and great that all were opposed to this completely needless extension of such a deeply flawed scheme. It's a shame they chose to have the consultation during the day on a Tuesday rather than on a weekend but then I guess they were hoping nobody would show up. Even should the scheme extension be abandoned, I think there's still a case for contacting the local government ombudsman over how the consultation was carried out.
On 10 Aug 2011 at 12:54pm Not from around here wrote:
Why was the scheme introduced in the first place? Was there ever any meaningful public consultation before the parking scheme started?
By 'meaningful' I mean did people genuinely have the option to say they wanted NO parking scheme introduced or only given choices of parking scheme A or B?

On 10 Aug 2011 at 1:49pm Malling resident wrote:
Question. Were all these people residents of Malling or anybody that likes to park for free? I would happily pay a residents only permit so I can park outside my house again and not be blocked out by the hoards of police HQ parkers.

On 10 Aug 2011 at 2:33pm John Stockdale wrote:
Ed, the Malling surgery was additional to the scheme that Atkins proposed. Most of the other sessions were 1-7pm. The Malling one was 2-5pm. It was the best we could persuade ESCC to deliver. We leafleted the area which is why the Malling session was better attended than any of the others. Malling resident, we asked if anyone at the meeting was from outside the area and no one said they were. I also asked if anyone supported the scheme because it was clearly possible someone would take the view that you do. Whilst there was a lot of complaint about the effect of off-site Police HQ parking, none of the 72 people there advanced that view.

On 10 Aug 2011 at 3:17pm Malling resident wrote:
I bet they would advance that view if the residents only permit was a small charge just to cover admin costs and not a profit making scheme. Also, I bet none of the free parkers did pipe up when asked. Of course they wouldn't. Do you think they are mad?

On 10 Aug 2011 at 3:23pm Malling resident wrote:
Oh, and I imagine the majority of residents that did show up were retired so already have their parking space and couldn't afford a permit, no matter how much the cost. Not like the majority of actual residents that have jobs to drive to and couldn't afford the time for a 2 - 5pm weekday meeting.

On 10 Aug 2011 at 5:00pm 'ere be monsters wrote:
Malling resident, are you in favour of the scheme? Did you make your point of view at the other surgeries and in your questionnaire?
On 10 Aug 2011 at 6:54pm Malling Resident wrote:
Yes I am in favour of the scheme if it's set up right. A basic resident parking permit which also allows the holder to have visitors permits for friends and family etc to 'visit', at a cost that won't price anybody out of the scheme. There never used to be a parking problem here until the police HQ expanded to such an extent that they cannot park all their vehicles in their own grounds so fill up the estate without a care for the residents. I work odd hours so can often come home middle of the day after starting at midnight and cannot park anywhere near my house. Worst case was when I had to park on the new estate. I live in Spences Lane which is at the bottom of the old Estate. So either a parking permit or a park and ride system for the police hq. Can't see that happening though because the council wouldn't earn out of it!
Not been to any of the meetings (or surgeries if that's the 'in' name for them now) because basically I'm not very good at getting my point across verbally. I get easily shot down.. Doesn't mean I'm wrong though and yes I put a valid point across on the questionnaire.

On 10 Aug 2011 at 8:45pm Aden Uff wrote:
Malling Resident, you say you would happily pay for a resident's permit. Do you realise that paying for a permit to park would not guarantee you the right to park? If there were no spaces available you would have paid your money and would get nothing in return. And what would happen if your household had 2 or 3 cars? And what will happen when your friends and family turn up? They will be pounced upon by the highly aggressive traffic wardens employed by NCP

On 11 Aug 2011 at 8:07am Malling resident wrote:
Well in the evenings/weekends when there are only residents parked, there are plenty of spaces. It's only when the police HQ and maybe a few people who park here and walk into town are here that it's impossible. Remove them and I can't see a problem. As for friends and family arriving, it doesn't take a lot of planning to meet them as they arrive to hand over the visitors permit. I have relations in Brighton on that scheme and it works perfectly.
On 11 Aug 2011 at 10:10am 'ere be monsters wrote:
M r "A basic resident parking permit which also allows the holder to have visitors permits for friends and family etc to 'visit', at a cost that won't price anybody out of the scheme." That is pie in the sky. What do you consider to be a reasonable cost? It's got to be enough to cover the cost of running it and make a profit. You must be one of only a few houses in Spences Lane that doesn't have a drive.

On 11 Aug 2011 at 11:53am Toot wrote:
Errmmm... why is it pie in the sky?
Plenty of councils operate a policy where residents get one FREE permit per household, and can apply for up to one more (at a cost and depending on a waiting list). They also give households a number of visitor permits which last for one year.
I've lived in many different places in the UK and all of the councils operate a similar policy to that outlined above.
Lewes is the first place I've lived where you have to pay to park your car near your house... maybe I've just been lucky.

On 11 Aug 2011 at 11:54am Malling resident wrote:
I do have a drive but it only fits 1 car. My wife and I both have a car and we both work at places where public transport would be a serious hindrance to use. (East Hoathly and The Royal Sussex) so 2 cars is not a luxury in that sense before the people on here take a pop. My daughter is looking for a car too now so soon to be 3. I would think a fiver a week should cover the costs to run the scheme when included with the rest of the town. Parking tickets would make up any difference maybe. Whatever happens, it would be nice to be able to park near my home after a hard night/morning at work. Too much to ask?

On 11 Aug 2011 at 12:47pm 'ere be monsters wrote:
Is it everyone's right to be able to park outside their house. It is a public highway and the people who park have (presumably) road tax and insurance.
M r, do you have parking provided at your and your wife's place of work? £5 a week per car is a lot more than it costs now.

On 11 Aug 2011 at 1:20pm Toot wrote:
Malling resident - yes, too much to ask.
Three cars is ridiculous for one household - you should be heavily taxed as a family for trying to single-handedly destroy the environment!
One permit per household (without a drive) is fine - any more is, in my opinion, just self-centred and greedy on your part. Sorry.
East Hoathly and the Royal Sussex are hardly far enough away to think that public transport would be a 'serious hindrance'.

On 11 Aug 2011 at 7:08pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
How do you get to East Hoathly by public transport? How frequent are the buses?
Getting to the RSCH by public transport is dire. It's at least a bus and train each way and takes forever. Last time I went, I waited half an hour for a bus back to the station. I could have driven to Lewes and back again in the time it took to get to the station.
A lot of people need their cars to do their jobs, too - health visitors, social workers, housing officers or anyone whose work requires them to visit multiple sites. There are plenty of people whose job doesn't invlolve being the same place all day.

On 12 Aug 2011 at 11:56am Malling resident wrote:
Thank you ACT. Maybe when the time comes that toot or his/her family requires an op or A&E treatment, I'll send a note stating I'm saving the environment by standing at the bus stop. See if he/she has the same atitude then!

On 12 Aug 2011 at 12:42pm That's Me in the Corner wrote:
The community of Old Malling (South) don‚??t have a parking problem. Sussex Police have a parking problem and instead of them being compelled to deal with it, the problem is being passed to the community in the shape of this ridiculous proposal that is neither wanted or necessary. Apart from between the hours of 8 ‚?? 5 on weekdays there is no parking problem in the area. Indeed residents of Spences Field and Orchard Way indicated at the recent public meeting that they had no problem at all, at any time.
I say Old Malling (South) above because clearly the minute ‚??Zone J‚?? comes into operation Old Malling (North) and New Malling will suffer from displacement parking by those not willing to pay to park (principally those working for Sussex Police) and so will be next in line for controls and charges. That is openly acknowledged by the consultants. However as the ConDem ‚??cuts‚?? start to bite it will likely mean a significantly smaller number of Sussex Police employees will be parking locally. By then it will be too late for Malling as, once in place, these parking zones will not be removed because they will be contributing to the overall (failing?) finance of the whole Lewes scheme.
The map of ‚??Zone J‚?? indicates that the area within it will be divided into designated parking bays with stretches of double yellow lines. That must cost the community in terms of overall space available. Parking outside of a marked bay will incur a penalty. At the moment residents are flexible about parking including some who park a second (or a visitor‚??s) vehicle across their own driveway so as not to take up an additional space. That will have to cease or you know what will happen. There are also aesthetic issues of the visual impact of the lines, signs and machines cluttering up this residential area, and seemingly at odds with ESCC‚??s Local Transport Plan 3 (LTP3), Executive Summary, Para 4.1a.
A suggestion. The large car park at Sackville House (formerly Fujitsu) is free of charge to those working there (including some County Council employees whose colleagues at County Hall have to pay £1 a day to park). Why not turn that into a low-cost pay-and-display car park open to Sussex Police employees as well thus reducing pressure on the Malling area?

On 12 Aug 2011 at 12:52pm Brrrp wrote:
I get the train then cycle to RSCH... no problem for me.

On 12 Aug 2011 at 2:34pm Docs assistant wrote:
How many trains do you catch after midnight from Lewes to Brighton then Brrrp?

16 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

A Lewes Penny 1:132
A Lewes Penny

Actually, I would like to add to what I have written above. I understand your concerns about medical marijuana, especially if you... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare