Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

Parking - In Cliffe

9
10
On 3 Oct 2016 at 12:26pm Dixie Normus wrote:
I pay road tax, therefore I do not agree with having to then pay further to enable me to park and then have to walk from my car to visit the bookies. Therefore my vehicle will be parked right outside that French cafe whenever I fancy a punt. I have an idea for you - WALK AROUND IT
8
5
On 3 Oct 2016 at 12:54pm Ho ho wrote:
Tee-hee, Mr. Troller. A shame that road tax doesn't include the right to park on the pavement in a pedestrian and loading-only zone. Or maybe you're driving a mobility scooter?
5
3
On 3 Oct 2016 at 3:59pm Dixie Normus wrote:
I am no troller Ho Ho - You may have seen my Range Rover parked there this afternoon and it will be there again tomorrow at some point too.
6
3
On 3 Oct 2016 at 7:37pm Another B and B lady wrote:
Cycle Lewes and Living Streets monitored the traffic every day for a week in the Spring. They kept records on traffic leaving the car park and whether turning right or left, how many vehicles drove straight through, how many vehicles parked, where, why and for how long. Also how many vehicles went in and out of Harvey's Yard and Argos. It was also noted that no Argos staff used the car park and that many cars just use their car park for free all day parking ..... The results have been discussed with ESCC. The point was also made that the signs were too high, too ambiguous and too small. A few traders were unhappy but most were supportive. I think ESCC are not doing anything about the survey even after meetings and discussions. They also won't countenance a reversal of direction either which would go a long way to stop it being used as a short cut. They can't give any coherent reason for being against this. Perhaps lobbying one's local councillors is the only way forward now. As noted here, the situation regarding everyone using Cliffe High Strett as a through way and free parking hasn't changed.
5
4
On 3 Oct 2016 at 8:23pm JillG wrote:
Too right, @Another B&BL; all these accounts of infringements are not merely anecdotal, but include a serious quantified survey, of which a detailed report went to the Council, basically to no avail. The Council won't move the sign (regulatory place), clarify the sign (officially-approved signage), add more signs or, as you say, consider reversing the traffic-flow, which would stop short-cutters at a stroke. Your final sentence sums it up.
2
9
On 3 Oct 2016 at 8:28pm Dixie Nornus wrote:
Zzzzzz boooorrrriiinnnggg not got anything better for do than carry out surveys on who drives where
7
4
On 3 Oct 2016 at 11:15pm Adele wrote:
Have they done a survey on exactly how many busy bodies there are in Lewes ?
4
2
On 4 Oct 2016 at 9:22am JillG wrote:
@Adele - about as many busybodies as there are community problems to address in the absence of Council help. When not done by middle-class people it's called direct action......
1
 
On 5 Oct 2016 at 10:12am Cliffer wrote:
Wonder whether Adele would do anything if she had a string of rat-runners and illegal parkers clogging her own street. This is our street
 
3
On 5 Oct 2016 at 10:10pm Reality wrote:
Another B & B Lady your knowledge of who uses the Argos car park is well off the mark... You'll find the manager of Argos & his staff park in there as well as Bills & JHT staff. In fact one of the Argos staff even put a note up some months ago stating only staff from the aforementioned businesses could park there. A big fat middle finger up to their customers but that nicely sums up Argos customer service in my experience
3
1
On 6 Oct 2016 at 8:00am Lewes Voter 3 wrote:
Have bicycle users really nothing better to do than spy on tax-paying motorists? Obviously not. Typical of the group who want to bring the country down and did so in joke Brighton. Run them off the road. I am furious with each and every one of those entitled louts. I am a tax paying motorist and proud to make my contribution.
 
2
On 6 Oct 2016 at 9:14am A Person wrote:
Que???? What on earth are you on about, Lewes Voter 3???
2
4
On 6 Oct 2016 at 10:34am Boris wrote:
... and I am a tax-free motorist, exempt from paying road tax, because the rules now only require a contribution from the owners of gas-guzzling motor vehicles. Does that remove my entitlement to express an opinion about cars using the Cliffe High Street?
Incidentally, as a cyclist, I do pay taxes, like VAT, National Insurance and Income Tax. All of my contributions through those routes go into the same pot of general taxation that car taxes go into.


24 posts left

Your response


You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms


 

Harveys Dray 41:132
Harveys Dray

I find your first remark utterly vile and if I were running this forum I would ban you. You are either using me to make... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the walk along the ouse to Hamsey church, the view from the top of the Castle, Pells pool, the antique shops and boot fair, the lion in the window of the 15c bookshop, keere street
BrixtonBelle