Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Parking

On 23 Oct 2004 at 10:05pm Chema T wrote:
For over twenty years at least twice monthly I have parked in Southover Street when visiting Lewes when lower car parks are full and suddenly today a ticket appears on my car.
Bye Bye Lewes, sorry to you Lewes traders and businesses, my Eastbourne home town shops will now get my hard earned cash, at least they still have a very reasonable parking attitude toward the motorist, local and visitor.
Shame really, we both love Lewes and having just retired we thoaght of possibly moving there,but now monetary greed seems the flavour of your local council morons whose wages you pay we will stick with Eastbourne Im sure its safer at this present time.

On 24 Oct 2004 at 11:29am The Tooth Fairy wrote:
I think this may become an all too frequent occurence.

On 24 Oct 2004 at 4:27pm sleeping lion wrote:
Didn't you read the parking restriction signs before parking? I always do and to be fair our new parking scheme has been well publicised.
Whilst we may not agree with it rules are rules.

On 24 Oct 2004 at 6:34pm Chema T wrote:
After over 20 years ones habits tend to become auto I find,if I had seen the signs I would have moved on its not the penalty that infuriates me, whats 30 these days.
Its the outlook of your local council, monetary gain is their only reason for the restrictions they have now placed on parking, for you the local people and visitors alike.
You sir/Madam may accept without question what they tell you but I believe you should allways question their reasoning if I believe it needs to be questioned, tho I doubt I will get a reply to my mail to them.
May I extend a invitation to you, Eastbourne,s car parking is quite extensive with its multi parks
it is also very very generous in its free on street
parking. and all very close to our town centre with only minutes walking, our local businesses seem to be quite happy at this time with our councils parking policy.
I just wonder what your local business owners are truly feeling at this time regarding your councils decisions on the subject .

On 27 Oct 2004 at 7:46pm Mystic mog wrote:
Watch out Eastbourne! As Chema T presumes it was a local council decsion. Far from it, it was good ole ESCC, I am sure that they will have some "excellent" plans for Eastbourne soon. Or maybe they are too frightened to upset the blue rinse Tory vote there.

On 30 Oct 2004 at 3:10pm Chema wrote:
Thanks mystic, politics apart, you are obviously in the know, I have not heard anything regarding the plans for Eastbourne as yet but it would not surprise me if the goose stepping NCP did not offer a lucrative deal to our town as well.
Is it illegal these day to have a monopoly ? the national car parks organization must have a huge quantity of BROWN envelopes,I have not tried to buy any A5 size lately, perhaps they have monopolised them to.
Hope your big night next Friday goes well and the jack boots will have been hung for the evening at least.

On 2 Nov 2004 at 11:13pm Mr X wrote:
But it was actually the Labour government who instructed ESCC to get a parking plan or they'd reduce funding from central governemt.
So blame Labour as well as ESCC for their crazy ill conceived plan. Interestingly I see in Newhaven today 2 NCP redcoats ticketing cars, accompanied with a Police officer....Training new NCP wardens I suspect (or readying Newhaven for a parking plan. Great, frickin' great.

On 10 Nov 2004 at 12:51pm letstorkbolux wrote:
Has the council considered that any money it gets from a small cut of the charges (NCP getting the lion's share,) will be hugely offset by the loss of rate revenue when all the businesses in the High Street go bust? What is our council thinking of????

On 10 Nov 2004 at 7:25pm More Tea Vicar? wrote:
Who knows what our council is thinking of...
My guess is: 1 Fraud
2 Debaunchery
Most of them are incredibly ugly... so easy on the debaunchery.
PhilX

On 10 Nov 2004 at 9:20pm Hood wrote:
Mr X hits the head on the nail when he refers to central govt instructing local govt. Us powerless and un-represented poor residents are forking out an extra 1 million pounds a year in tax for this parking sheme that no-one wants. That's on top of the 2,600 pounds p.a. in council tax I pay, all to have half the rubbish picked up.
The solution? (1) Pedestrianise Cliffe Low Street (2) Make all car parks free but add one extra UNDERGROUND storey to the one behind Cliffe Low Street (3) remove all street parking restrictions - the Lowway Code should be enough. This will allow a few dozen highly- paid-and-pensioned council employees to be sacked and save us all a few million a year in taxes......Ever thought of the cost of all those road signs, yellow lines, barriers, attendants, thousands of man-hours in govt admin, etc etc?

27 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

south street badge 116:143
south street badge

I doubt that more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell