Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Old pub on Market Lane

On 4 Nov 2015 at 2:30pm Tipex wrote:
I've just walked past the closed down pub on Market Lane (just behind the tower / posh food market) and wondered when it was last open? It's certainly been closed down as long as I've been in Lewes (about 13 yrs). Also, it still seems to be empty. I'm sure it must be worth a fortune? Anyone know anything? Cheers.
On 4 Nov 2015 at 2:32pm Andy wrote:
I've often wondered the same thing. It wd be fascinating to nose around inside as it always looks like it only closed yesterday!
On 4 Nov 2015 at 3:39pm Ivor Hardy wrote:
It's a does house for the ne'er do wells of Lewes aka the crown accommodation
On 4 Nov 2015 at 4:22pm Outintheestates wrote:
It was called the crown shades and was a lively pub . I think it shut down late sixties . We lived in west st and my dad used it . Crown wasn't a doss house then . I believe it's a private house now not part of the crown
On 4 Nov 2015 at 4:34pm mickyboy wrote:
Many pubs had separate quiet bars referred to as "shades" the crown shades has been a private residence for about 30 years. It is part of the Crown Hotel still. meanwhile I wonder how many who are slating the Crown Hotel have actually been in there this century. I was in there last Friday night enjoying a quiet pint with friends who not only are not dossers, they can spell the word correctly too.
On 4 Nov 2015 at 5:29pm Outintheestates wrote:
It was called the crown shades and was a lively pub . I think it shut down late sixties . We lived in west st and my dad used it . Crown wasn't a doss house then . I believe it's a private house now not part of the crown
On 4 Nov 2015 at 5:41pm Sussex Jim wrote:
the term "shades" refers to the bars establised behind the main inns and hotels. If one was middle or upper class and employed a servant, this was where the servant would eat and drink whilst their master would meet business aquaintances and friends in the main bar fronting the street.
I will visit the Crown for a pint before the year is out. Don't knock it until you try it!
On 4 Nov 2015 at 5:43pm Tipex wrote:
Thanks all. It doesn't look lived in but it's a beautiful building. Thanks for the info. Ps you're right I should give the crown a 2nd (probably last) chance.
On 5 Nov 2015 at 4:50am Cassie wrote:
Just wondering mickeyboys motif for his sudden support of the crown surely at this time of the year you should be busy promoting your society. Don't listen to the landlady she has issues with the truth. The pub is a doss house which is why your drink was quiet because no one else wants to go in the place, the reputation of the place has come from those who have been in the place once and that's all it takes

28 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

English view 35:132
English view

And where are the results of the Arcuri investigation? He gave that woman 100k of taxpayer's money because he fancied the idea... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington