Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

North Street Quarter

On 13 Mar 2015 at 2:26pm Optimist wrote:
Is it just me, or do the proposals in today's Sussex Express actually look quite nice?
On 13 Mar 2015 at 3:44pm bastian wrote:
Can you afford to live there-looks like Manchester to me.
On 13 Mar 2015 at 4:12pm neighbour wrote:
I have had a look at the plans (now online) and I think its pretty good as well. Not like the Manchester I visit, so I don't understand the Manchester remark. The best aspect is the re-ordering of the hellish traffic 'scheme' around Eastgate Street, East Street etc. This has clearly been well thought out and will allow proper access around this part of town and to the river for pedestrians without having to cope with never ending fast traffic . As it is a joint venture with LDC and meets the local plan and PPG guidance it seems objection proof save for details.
On 13 Mar 2015 at 6:33pm townie wrote:
Excellent news, just what Lewes needs. Any ideas when it could be started...and finished ?
On 13 Mar 2015 at 7:10pm George wrote:
"Re-ordering of the hellish traffic scheme around Eastgate"
Really, where did you find that information. The bit I read implied that was outside their area of concern. Perhaps as you seem so well informed you could quote the relevant facts.
On 13 Mar 2015 at 7:40pm LewesPhoenixRising wrote:
Definitely some improvement in the design, the National Park demanded it. We will be going through the detail in depth looking for: genuinely affordable homes; social housing; suitable workspace for light industrial,manufacturing,creative and community enterprises; retention and reuse of buildings (as desired by the Nat Park); a scheme that actively promotes reduction of car use; sustainable innovative build; adaptation potential for flooding and climate change; work space for existing businesses during the development phase and vision worthy of the largest development EVER to take place in a UK National Park. Chelsea Renton
On 13 Mar 2015 at 8:02pm SHS wrote:
As well as all this arts crafts and community social enterprise creative well-being therapy, could we have some science, technology and engineering, perhaps with some kind of 'centre of excellence' for teaching building trades (or other useful and essential skills).
On 14 Mar 2015 at 9:18am Metatron wrote:
Perhaps we can have some manufacturing companies bringing big employment opportunities. Far too many Lewes residents have to work outside of Lewes because there are not any decent jobs in Lewes; that is of course if you don't work in admin. The town needs some balance.
On 14 Mar 2015 at 10:15am bastian wrote:
SHS you obviously don't realise that the eatstae has engineering firms on it and laser cutters etc, all soon to be pushed out of town by housing for the few rich. Not much of an exchange.
As to the traffic system, yes there is talk of a making little east st two way, which will be a nightmare if there is an accident on the A27 as the street is used to take traffic on that occasion, but don't let practicalities get in the way of flashy design.
The remark about Manchester is related to the buildings along the Grand Union Canal.
On 14 Mar 2015 at 5:10pm lewes resident wrote:
I agree it does look promising, anything has to be better than the awful buildings there at present

On 14 Mar 2015 at 5:51pm neighbour wrote:
George, try reading the traffic assessment which is one of the 822 documents attached to the application. If its too long for you read the leaflet called 'Transport' on the NSQ website.
On 14 Mar 2015 at 5:59pm bastian wrote:
Lewes resident, I assume you have never worked in a factory or a manual job, it's quite hard to set them up in a terrace house. I am not against building on that area, but I am very concerned that Lewes is in the National Park and that this is going to set a precident for building in National Parks all over Britain, if it looks awful and doesn't meet the criteria of the People of Lewes, ie housing and jobs for them in this town, not to mention the up keep of traditions-for instance the need for Tableaux sheds (fast disappearing), then the whole country will point to Lewes as the problem town that destroyed the structure of the National Park's purpose. If you don't believe in the Natiuonal Park system ( I assume you might think it gets in the way of progress!!!) then yes, build what you like.
On 14 Mar 2015 at 6:32pm part time manc resident wrote:
Grand Union Canal runs from Birmingham to The Thames at Brentford so no Manchester Buildings anywhere near. Poster is probably thinking of the Castlefield area in Manc where the Rochdale Canal meets up with the Bridgewater Canal or Salford Quays at the start of the Manchester to Mersey ship canal. E utterly different developments based around totally different architecture and landscape to Lewes. Both v good in different ways. Castlefield has a little bit of affordable and public housing Salford Quays none that I am aware of.
On 14 Mar 2015 at 10:51pm George wrote:
On the subject of traffic flow what the santon website actually says is , "listed below is detail of what we would ideally like to see implemented over a three year period post planning approval "
Not entirely firm commitment there .

On 14 Mar 2015 at 11:41pm Belladonna wrote:
SHS - you'll be pleased to hear we have a very good college in Lewes already which teaches building trades (amongst many other courses). It's called Sussex Downs....
And in Newhaven a UTC in Engineering is being established on the dockside - which will eventually teach ages 13 upwards in different technical and engineering skills.
On 15 Mar 2015 at 1:35am Peasant wrote:
For those businesses in the run down units currently on North Street that can afford modern premises Santon will be offering new units in Malling Brooks. Not all can. However, there are cheap premises available elsewhere - options include farm-based units in Ringmer and other local villages, or decamping to Newhaven.
The value of cheap start-up premises for new businesses, creative or more traditional, is well recognised, and it is not too difficult to find such opportunities in the wider area. Probably a bit optimistic to expect to find them right in the centre of the District's most popular town.
Is SAnton really going to deliver over 160 new affordable homes (which should mean 120 social rented and 40 intermediate or shared equity) as well as flood protection for new and existing homes? Great if true. A word of warning. The new rules introduced by Norman's coalition do allow developers to include affordable housing at the application stage, and then wriggle out of the commitments they have given once permission is safely in the bag, by discovering that they cannot, after all, afford them and still achieve the minimum 20% profit margin.
Sly, but becoming routine. A cynic might wonder whether developer donations to certain political parties were entirely irrelevant to the introduction of this dodge.

On 16 Mar 2015 at 2:50pm stevet wrote:
I also think it looks very good. They have clearly taken their time preparing a good scheme. I agree that improvements to the roads, public realm and pedestrian access are extremely welcome and cannot come quick enough. I live adjacent to the site and the construction will be a pain, but worth it in the end.

On 16 Mar 2015 at 5:05pm lewes born and bred wrote:
Think it looks excellent. Just had a look at the website and the video and i'm most impressed. Should all be done within 6 years from now. Must admit to really liking the "cotton mill" type buildings with their large imposing chimneys....pretty classy.
On 17 Mar 2015 at 7:28am Old Malling wrote:
Some of the buildings seem very high and it's fairly dense but so are all developments these days. Quite a lot of flats. I wonder where all the extra kids will go to school?
On 17 Mar 2015 at 10:22pm Lewes wrote:
I'm not sure if there will be a huge problem with schools as assuming that the development will increase the population by 1,000 people and if we assume that half are babies/children/teenagers/young adults then the numbers specifically for schools may not be unmanageable. I believe there is provision for an additional nursery which may help manage the additional under 5's and perhaps some of the young people will be of college/university age. It just depends on the mix as to whether additional school infrastructure would be required I suppose.
On 19 Mar 2015 at 8:42am Part time manic resident wrote:
What about care in the community provision ?

On 19 Mar 2015 at 9:11pm Ed Can Do wrote:
According to their latest newsletter, MAS Real Estate Inc, the South African company based in the British Virgin Islands (So non-taxpaying, naturally) that owns Santon North and therefore, North Street, is expecting revenues of around 150million from the development so don't hold your breath for the properties being especially affordable.

Still, if LDC get a similar return for their share we can all look forward to some sharp drops in our council tax bills in the future, eh?

Check it out here »

On 19 Mar 2015 at 11:18pm lewes wrote:
Well I'm not surprised, it is 460 odd houses, a health centre, cafes and resturant etc. 150m sounds a lot but with all those houses and everything else they have planned everything adds up to large numbers. They aren't going to do it for free and neither would you. So many risks involved and so far 3 years of planning and I believe 40% of the houses will be housing association so they make a lot of revenues from government grants and therefore a large amount of houses well below market rates. I don't see the problem with them using proper tax planning/avoidance which is totally legal. Companies will continue to do this until governments change the rules. Can't blame them for using the rules to the advantage of their shareholders to protect their investments and keep up with their competitors.

On 20 Mar 2015 at 11:54am Ed Can Do wrote:
I understand the need to make a profit, a 150 million income from a 9 million investment isn't bad going though. I was more expressing disappointment that the council are jumping into bed with a company that contributes nothing to the economy by not paying taxes and hoping that whoever is in charge of this at LDC is getting a similar return. If LDC make 150 million out of this, that would pay for everything covered by special expenses for the next 300 years! On current logic, that would mean everyone in Lewes can stop contributing any council tax to LDC for 5 generations because special expenses works both ways, right?

On 20 Mar 2015 at 2:12pm andy wrote:
The report link from the developer says 150 million gross development value (GDV). GDV is how much all the properties will be worth in total when it is finished. This isn't the profit.
Building industry average profit is around 33% which is still 50m. Yes, a very very good profit for the company but important not to confuse GDV and profit. Two very different things.

12 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

The Potting Shed Lewes 122:132
The Potting Shed Lewes

Hi. Has anyone been camping at Blackberry wood? I've booked with a small group for next month but am reading conflicting info on... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy