Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

North Street Music

On 22 Aug 2015 at 7:55pm Falmer Palmer wrote:
Is someone from Lewes District Council Environmental team going to get someone on the North Street estate to turn their effing music down. Some of us have kids that need to get to sleep.
On 22 Aug 2015 at 8:40pm carmen wrote:
i believe there has been some sort of festival down there today although i thought it was finishing around 7ish
On 22 Aug 2015 at 10:54pm Tired wrote:
No. Still going on. I wouldn't care , but it 's becoming a regular feature. If whoever is operating these events was a little more thoughtful they would just turn the vibration-tastic bass down a bit. It is very hard to support people in North St, to get proper workspace in a redevelopment, when they treat their neighbours like this, isn't it?
On 23 Aug 2015 at 8:45am bastian wrote:
I have to say there is someone in the flats over the road from me that has a party almost every night that goes on until 5am and the famillies around here don't get any sleep any night. That wa sa one off for a festival that was advertised, including the party, on posters all over town. Also it abaited at around 11pm
On 23 Aug 2015 at 9:48am huw wrote:
The party had a licence until 4am. They run on temporary event notices and can have 12 a year (going up to 15 a year in 2016).
As far as I am aware Zu have complied with all police & licensing requests since the incident the other month and do not have any history of problems (by all accounts the events are well run & popular)
On 23 Aug 2015 at 9:56am Tired wrote:
No problem with people having an occasional party/event. Trouble is, they aren't occasional. There was no need to have the Bass so high, and telling people that they will be disturbed is not a replacement for being a bit neighbourly. By just adjusting a few elements of an event to take into consideration that the venue is metres away from residential housing is all it takes. Other venues in town need licences, and they would lose them if they did this. I want to support everyone in North St but they don't make it easy. They are simply providing evidence to my NIMBY neighbours to pass onto whoever wants to argue that such activities are undesirable. Also, be aware that the event
may have finished at 11pm, but the steam of loud drunk idiots didn''t finish until the early hours of the morning. It's about balance.
On 23 Aug 2015 at 10:32am Local wrote:
I read recently that Hackney council have re-introduced 11pm closing for all licensed premises due to the accumulation of problems resulting from late drinking.
I hope this provides the precedent for similar local decisions, to reverse what seems now to be widely recognised as a mistaken policy of encouraging "continental-style licensing" in heavily populated residential areas.
Complying with the rules does not necessarily equate to acceptable conditions for residents who live near such establishments. For instance, the noise and rabble on Station Street even at midnight on Friday nights is totally unacceptable for the majority of residents, IMHO.
On 23 Aug 2015 at 1:04pm Metatron wrote:
Didn't help being a very warm summer evening when you need to have the windows open. Why so loud? If you where at the venue bet your ears are still ringing.
On 23 Aug 2015 at 1:48pm CJ wrote:
The Number for Lewes District Council Environmental out of hours Team is 07860524969,
On 23 Aug 2015 at 1:54pm Localbod wrote:
No. It's all a bit one sided isn't it? People who think they are entitled to disturb everyone, seem incapable of a bit of compromise, and can then be patronising and outraged when reasonable people start to complain. It's not like I haven't got trashed at a party or ten , but even I know when something needs a bit of tweaking to be reasonable. Ultimately isn't it just quite thick to risk harassing neighbours, whose support you need to maintain your presence. Huw, was it Zu's event last night and if so what was the reason for it being quite so loud, and the bass so high?
On 23 Aug 2015 at 4:14pm huw wrote:
Localbod, I'm not 100% sure so please don't tar them with the wrong brush.
As far as I can remember I saw an invite to a party there that was scheduled to finish at 4am. I'm not sure what time it was meant to start so the noise could have been from the earlier Phoenix Festival and Zu could well have kept the noise down (it would appear that complaints seem to be regarding well before midnight).
As for bass and general noise I wouldn't have a clue as I'm not connected to them. If it's a consistent problem I would always suggest go down there and talk to them, you may be pleasantly surprised by their response.
On 23 Aug 2015 at 4:27pm Claire wrote:
Huw as you know so much about the licence do you hold the licence for them?
On 23 Aug 2015 at 5:18pm bastian wrote:
can I just say i live quite close to that place and I didn't hear it after 12pm. I know there was bass before that, but compared to my (normal) neighbours, it went off long before 5am, and wasn't accompanied by screaming drunk girls either.
On 23 Aug 2015 at 5:41pm huw wrote:
Claire, I assume that you know the answer to your question is no (I may be wrong and have seen sarcasm where there was none) but I do know a little bit about licensing laws and thought I might be able to get some information to the people who seemed to want some answers.
As I stated I'm not 100% sure of all of the details and the best course of action is usually to talk directly to the people involved as if questions are asked on here they normally descend into farce
On 23 Aug 2015 at 6:36pm pervy pete wrote:
I have "adult" parties most weekends that get a little noisy sometimes. Apologies for that, but come and join us. All good fun.
On 23 Aug 2015 at 7:50pm Localbod wrote:
Thanks Huw. You are right, that it is good to talk to ones neighbours, which is why it is incumbent on the people holding an event to do that before a problem arises. It was so loud where we are that one would have to be selfish , incompetent, or deaf to not realise there was too much bass. For most people the problem is that walking down the street in pyjamas or a nightie (or less in this hot weather) to speak to people running an event apparently full of drunken revellers, is not really an option. Single adults looking after kids can't leave the house, even in their onesies, so can only call Environmental Health. The reason people post on here is we do know that the North St Creative Folk read these posts, because at their request we are regularly (trying) to support their endeavours. I am not sure that will last at this rate.

21 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Pipe Passage 98:132
Pipe Passage

I'm grateful for Nevillman starting this discussion and being so generous as to refer back to me. My delay in saying anything... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy