Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Norman Baker and the VW emissions scandal

On 5 Oct 2015 at 8:42am puzzled wrote:
I'm puzzled about Norman Baker's role in this debacle whilst minister.
I think he claims (in his new book?) that David Cameron refused to move on the issue after being leaned on by Angela Merkel. This has been widely reported.
If that is the case then I am at a loss as to why Baker kept silent at the time. We are talking about emissions over the subsequent years that would have contributed to many, many deaths and pervasive ill health. We are also dealing with the deception on a grand scale, of principled people who genuinely thought they were doing a good thing for the environment by buying a diesel car. On a financial scale this monstrous 'crime' by manufacturers has caused us all harm.
Surely the principled stand as a Liberal Democrat would have been to resign.
On 5 Oct 2015 at 9:31am The Old Mayor wrote:
But he didn't, did he !!
On 5 Oct 2015 at 11:56am KDF Vagen wrote:
Don't mention Deutchland Uber Alles.
On 5 Oct 2015 at 12:00pm Not puzzled at all wrote:
Just an emission in a teacup - we all know who runs the EU.
On 5 Oct 2015 at 3:04pm SHS wrote:
Easy to blame the manufacturers and yes VW has been dishonest and treated the regulators and it's customers as idiots. BUT. Haven't the authorities in various countries, cities, towns and hamlets across the world been monitoring pollution and haven't they had a clear responsibility (in law too) to ensure the good health of the population? One polluting car may not cause a problem but 100 low-polluting cars could be worse. And what about lorries and buses? And what about wasting my time on this forum??

On 5 Oct 2015 at 4:48pm Fairmeadow wrote:
If VW have been cheating on the emissions from their VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat diesels, one consequence will be that car tax has been underpaid. By maybe 200 per car, for over a million cars. Per year, until the cars are scrapped. VWs can last a long time.
It would seem unreasonable to expect the conned VW owners to pay for this, but very reasonable indeed to expect VW to pay. With maybe a 100% (1,000%?) premium for fraud.
That should help Mr Osborne, and after him Mr McDonnell, reduce the deficit.
Or will they prefer to accept a party political donation in lieu?
On 5 Oct 2015 at 5:24pm Sussex Jim wrote:
I don't think Mr.McDonnell will be the next Conservative chancellor, Fairmeadow.

On 7 Oct 2015 at 4:04am Mascara Kid wrote:
Wow, two fortune tellers!

There is no chance that it's only the WV Group that's been cheating. There is much more to this scandal than is currently being made public. There are shenanigans afoot.

29 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Harveys Brewery 40:132
Harveys Brewery

Oh the irony more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone