Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Noise in malling

On 10 Mar 2013 at 10:16pm fed up wrote:
Are there others around Old Malling Way/top of Bridgewick Close in New Malling Estate by the green who start to dread the warmer nights, i say that because there is a seat by the bin and the warn nights especially during the school holidays from now till September we have to put up with all the teens gathering and drinking which equals a lot of noise keeping all awake. Now normal noise till say 11pm is apceptable, but screaming, shouting, playing footie and the ball really sounds much more louder at night rebounding, running around drinking, teenagers gathering because there is a seat and i say that because when the seat was taken away one summer to be painted (thats what the worker said) it was noticable the difference as much quieter, its the seat that attracts them to gather in numbers so very noisy.
We cant open our windows in the summer because of the noise, so we are sweltering, it starts usually around 10.30pm till the early hrs mostly on thurs, fri, sat,sun nights/morning, sometimes going on till 3am. We are tempted to take the seat away one night/early hours so we can get some sleep during the easter/summer holidays to come as it getting noiser each year
On 10 Mar 2013 at 10:36pm Crack shot wrote:
www.catapultelite.co.uk

On 10 Mar 2013 at 10:39pm Confessor wrote:
You are are obviously a couple of @rsholes. Thanks for the heads up on possible missing bench or injured teens, I'm sure the police can trace you from you posts. Well done, bright boys

On 11 Mar 2013 at 5:51am landporter wrote:
Confessor, should you be up so late with school the next day.
On 11 Mar 2013 at 5:53am sleepless wrote:
Hi fed-up,
Sorry you are struggling to sleep. We also suffer from unwanted noise at night due to others selfish behaviour
You could try contacting your pcso, who should be able to give some advice on the problem. A number of areas were included in an asbo zone giving the police enhanced powers so fingers crossed this will help.
We have resorted to playing pink noise every night. It doesn't deal with the noise source, but masks the changes in noise which seems to help.
Good luck

On 11 Mar 2013 at 9:06am fed up wrote:
Confesser, your remarks are totally out of order and childish as no-body is harming anyone, we are just expressing our opinion that its also out of order for teenagers to be on the green drinking (under age) shouting, screaming etc etc in the early hours of the morning sometimes till 4am, its totally selfish behaviour to residents. If the seat is removed it will be thro offical channels to try to reduced the noise. Like fed up says there are areas included in the asbo zone so the police will have enhanced powers to deal with them.

On 11 Mar 2013 at 10:33am John Stockdale wrote:
Fed up, I live on the north side of Old Malling Way, so I'm not directly affected by this problem. Give me a call sometime on 476151 (not at 4am) and I'll see if there's anything practical that can be done.

On 11 Mar 2013 at 11:06am Middle aged parent wrote:
If the seat is not used, except by "yoof"...then why not move it? Is it next to a bus stop?

On 11 Mar 2013 at 12:01pm Extra wrote:
I'm sure the bench could be relocated, why not call Chris Bibb at Lewes
District Council to discuss, you will find him most helpful.

On 11 Mar 2013 at 1:23pm fed up wrote:
Thank you for the positive comments and i will do all thats suggested and no its no where the bus stop its right near to the flats and opps Bridgewick !

On 11 Mar 2013 at 1:27pm fed up wrote:
Extra is there a number you have for Chris Bibb ?

On 11 Mar 2013 at 2:10pm Extra wrote:
Call the main LDC switchboard on 01273 471600 and ask for his extension.
Good Luck.

On 11 Mar 2013 at 7:19pm Sussex Jim wrote:
Try playing Des O'Connor or Bay City Rollers songs , and turning your speakers towards this seat...

On 13 Mar 2013 at 5:20pm mickyboy wrote:
Half of new malling was built as social housing for families, 3/4/5 bedroom houses, families equals children, and little children become big children, large grassy areas area attractive to children, most of the other half of new malling was 2/3 bedroom houses, family houses which means a high possibility of guess what? children, your complaint is as old as the hills and as widespread as human habitation, and I expect you were a child once, but of course so repressed that you could never express your youthfull talents for enjoying your self, hears how to deal with it, buy a retirement flat and live in a an appartment block where you can hear a mouse fart at 100 paces or accept the reality of life and if the noise is after 10pm go out and politely have a chat with them, they probally do not realise how loud they are. and by the way the residents of broyle side at ringmer have been complaining about youths and noise at bus stops/shelters since the 70's so nothings new, however when I lived not more than a stones throw from the green at new malling, noise was never an issue that stopped me sleeping or enjoying what ever, usually with the windows wide open. you could swop places with me if you like I live in the centre of a town, have takeaways open until 2am, ambulances that mandatorily turn on their sirens to pass the junction outside, and no shortage of drunks and colonials who will happily stand on the pavement talking at what seems the top of the voices, occasionally I will wake up, lean out of my window and wish them a polite good morning, mostly I sleep right through it. dont worry about the noise and you will sleep soundly, trust me it works.

On 13 Mar 2013 at 5:50pm fed up wrote:
Mickyboy, i hope you feel better that you got all that off your chest !!
Now i am very aware that we live on an estate with famlies that have kids and they grow into teens etc etc,i too have brough up my own famly and i was once a kid but in them days we were not allowed to run wild let alone be out till 4am drinking, i am quite happy with normal noise that is to be expected, what i was not happy with is drunkern teens as young as 13yrs upwards screaming and carrying on after 12midnight till 4am. The noise has only in the last 2/3yrs got worse as its never been an issue before. Yes we have spoken to them and asked politely to tone it down, you either get a polite reply of sorry and they leave or you get a mouthful of abuse and they up the anti so to speak, so then they are warned the police will be called and we have had to on a couple of occasions, so please dont patronise us as yes we do expect noise and no i would not chose to live in town good for you that you can do that

22 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Cliffe Tableau 2015 Alight 22:132
Cliffe Tableau 2015 Alight

Just noticed. TP started "Quote of the Moment", although it's hard to understand what it's for. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy