Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

New to Lewes

On 12 Aug 2010 at 9:40am magenta wrote:
I'm moving to Lewes shortly for a new job. Does anyone have any suggestions of friendly clubs, groups etc. that may be worth joining? I've never lived here before and don't yet know people in the area, but I'm keen to get out and about and meet some locals of a similar age (late 20s). Any helpful advice on where to start?

On 12 Aug 2010 at 9:53am Ratty wrote:
If you've got any particular interests then the East Sussex Community Information Service is a good way to look stuff up as you can select just the Lewes area for all sorts of leisure stuff. Good luck. Enjoy Lewes
escis.org.uk/Directory/All_areas

On 12 Aug 2010 at 11:41am williamdyer wrote:
Welcome to Lewes!
I would recommend that Leisure centre as being worthwhile joining - its pretty reasonable price wise, and lots of sports groups are represented (including a good running/athletics club)

On 12 Aug 2010 at 11:52am frankiesgirl wrote:
Welcome magenta, depends on what your in to really, Theres allsorts around though.

On 12 Aug 2010 at 12:47pm Considering things wrote:
Join a bonfire society - a great way to meet people. Find out which is to be your local society and sign up. If they are over subscribed then I recommend South Street Bonfire Society which welcomes members from all parts of town and likes people to get involved in all aspects of the run up to the night itself. (Google the society..)

On 12 Aug 2010 at 1:32pm Old Cynic wrote:
Welcome tp Lewes its a great place to live. As FG says above - it depends what floats your boat - but you will find most interests and activities in and around the town.
The countryside is free and its really lovely round here - so if you like nature you are in luck!

On 12 Aug 2010 at 1:41pm Hoodie Hugger wrote:
If I were you, I'd try a few of your local pubs and find one you like, then just prop up the bar for a few nights. It's not that big a place, people soon get to know a new face (particularly in the Lewes Arms).
Lots of sports clubs around too, though, if you like that sort of thing - tennis, squash, hockey, rugby etc are all down by the old priory remains.
Or pop into the All Saints Centre on Friars Walk and have a look at their timetable. They do all sorts of dance classes and so on, so I'm sure you'll meet people there.
Good luck! It's quite a nice place, really, just a little insular at times (as I'm sure much of the rest of the UK is)

On 12 Aug 2010 at 3:13pm Treacle wrote:
Welcome!
I agree with all the above, the pubs are very friendly here and you will soon make friends. There are always plenty of people in the Lewes arms, John Harveys and the snowdrop..well thats where I go. I am sure with it being Lewes we will say hello at somepoint xx

On 12 Aug 2010 at 4:01pm Misery wrote:
Well in light a recent rather famous article I would suggest you join the BNP, there are thousands of members in Lewes. Your new neighbour will of course be a member. You may consider a Bonfire Society as it's well known (by 1 poor quality journo.) that they are anti-catholic and in fact have a go at everyone and everything. You will find everyone friendly in Lewes as long as you are middle-class, white, oh and your family must be from the south-east going back at least 3 generations. Did I mention you must also work full-time as we don't like rough people who spend our tax money. You're not a DFL are you? Oh dear Oh dear Oh dear....

On 12 Aug 2010 at 4:35pm Treacle wrote:
*Titters* x

On 12 Aug 2010 at 5:04pm Red Ken wrote:
Don't believe all this racist nonsense. Lewes is a very friendly tolerant town. Local groups are always looking for new menbers, including I believe the local chapter of the KKK.

On 12 Aug 2010 at 9:36pm magenta wrote:
Thanks very much everyone for all your advice. I'll definitely check out the information service and the different centres that you mention. I love sport but injured at the moment so that's unfortunately off the cards for a bit. Like the sound of joining a bonfire society and had already looked into this as I know it's a major thing here, but worried that I won't be able to devote that much time to it and therefore may not ingratiate myself with other members. Keen to get out into the countryside as Old Cynic recommends so will maybe find out about walking clubs etc. Thanks for your notes Misery and Red Ken - looks like I'll fit right in!! The locals obviously have a sense of humour!

On 12 Aug 2010 at 10:24pm Rookie wrote:
You like sport? Excellent! I can recommend spending every other Saturday at the Dripping Pan supporting the Rooks. Us fans are a friendly bunch and new supporters are very welcome.

On 13 Aug 2010 at 10:07am Hoodie Hugger wrote:
You don't need to devote a lot of time to the bonfire societies to join. I'm a member of Southover, and although I get quite a lot of emails asking for help with torch making, I rarely have time. It's simply a matter of finding (or making!) a decent costume and lining up to march on the night.
That all said... I actually prefer not to march as you see more of the spectacle of the whole thing. If this is your first year, I'd enjoy the evening by wandering around town and seeing what goes on - plenty of time to march in the future.

On 13 Aug 2010 at 10:30am Ratty wrote:
Lewes is a great place for walking Magenta - with the Downs, river and High Weald all nearby. It's one of the reasons i like the town so much. If you want to get to know the area and meet other walkers, there's a programme of guided walks (mostly free) called Exploring East Sussex which you can pick up as a brochure from the library/ tourist info or it's available online:
eastsussex.gov.uk/leisureandtourism/countryside/walks/exploringeastsussex.htm

On 13 Aug 2010 at 3:56pm 'ere be monsters wrote:
I thought you sounded like a fifther Hoodie, being IN it is the important thing, the crowd is a mere distraction. You obviously don't understand.

On 14 Aug 2010 at 12:23pm Southover Girl wrote:
As Hoodie Hugger mentioned, come down to All Saints and check out the workshops, classes, shows, films that go on there. That's how I got going in Lewes 20 years ago. I spent 3 lonely years wondering where to find friends and then joined the (now disbanded) Lewes Area Play Council and helped organise the week-long Charity Shop at All Saints for 3 years. Made friends and never looked back!

On 15 Aug 2010 at 12:50pm simon wrote:
''It's simply a matter of finding (or making!) a decent costume and lining up to march on the night''
Brilliant idea. Why doesn't everyone just do that and leave all the hard work throughout the year to the bleedin' fairies ?

19 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Clouds 65:132
Lewes Clouds

Why is public money being spent on it? Maybe because there are people prepared to campaign for a safe cycling route from Lewes... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde