Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

New Police Station

On 3 Mar 2013 at 11:33am Robert Peel wrote:
Had to laugh this morning when passing the new police station, I noticed the burglar alarm on the wall.
Doesn't give much confidence to the rest of us in our houses, when a police station full of police, has to worry about break-ins!

On 3 Mar 2013 at 11:49am wanderer wrote:
its a part time police...
Most of the time it's shut and functions as a tea room.
On 3 Mar 2013 at 2:10pm Oldbutintouch wrote:
As I wrote in an earlier post, this nasty looking shack is a result of the vanity of some now early-retired senior officer. Happily, I h ave now established that when the flag is flying the building IS occupied, if only by a lonely contract cleaner! Everyone else is on a course, on holiday, or, in the majority of cases, off sick.
On 3 Mar 2013 at 4:05pm Extra wrote:
Going past today the flag is shredded and wound round the pole.
Symbolisim?

On 4 Mar 2013 at 10:52am Clifford wrote:
Perhaps a loca copper could tell us: Has the station got a canteen, bar and games room?

On 4 Mar 2013 at 4:14pm local copper wrote:
no it does not have any of the above and it is always manned it's just the front office that's not
On 4 Mar 2013 at 4:38pm Copa-cobana wrote:
No canteen, no bar, no games room. And to clarify the misconceptions: the building was commissioned by the Sussex Police Authority (not a police officer) who recognised the enormous expense of maintaining the old building in West Street against the considerable savings of selling it and building a modern, energy-efficient one. Secondly, as local copper points out, the new station is home to the neighbourhood policing and response teams 24/7 all year round - but as much of their time as possible is spent out in the community, day and night.

On 4 Mar 2013 at 4:57pm Robert Peel wrote:
Local copper - If the police station is always manned, why do you need a burglar alarm? Surely having a building full of police officers would be a major deterrent for anyone thinking of breaking in!

On 4 Mar 2013 at 6:05pm Hacksaw wrote:
Didn't stop anyone at HQ getting in and cutting brake pipes on cars
On 4 Mar 2013 at 10:07pm tesco wrote:
It would of been more energy efficient to have built it near Tesco. This is the only time you will see a police officer, especially when the doughnuts are on offer.

On 5 Mar 2013 at 10:17am Oldbutintouch wrote:
It is very reassuring to learn that the new police station is actually occupied. Could Sussex Police not, however, put one of their minimum-wage Blunket Bobbies on the front counter during shop hours at least. As to the cost of maintaining the old police station - nonsense! It had not been maintained for years, it was a civic disgrace. You could describe it as "unkempt"! (topical reference)
On 5 Mar 2013 at 1:07pm Open Door Policy wrote:
I fail to see why, even in these austere times, no one can come up with a better solution to the policing problems of Lewes than spending more than may have been necessary on a state-of -the-art building, that cannot be properly accessed by the people who paid for it. A good management would come up with a better solution than this. Stage one would be to find out what people would actually like/expect from a central town police station that has more opening hours. I know I have never been asked in all the years i have been paying my contribution. The management cannot claim that they cannot offer what is wanted, if they don't even know what that might be. I very much doubt that we would all expect a full front desk policing service 24hrs a day. If the police actual investigated, they might find that what would keep everyone happy IS achievable and would fit in with policy restrictions and budgets.

On 5 Mar 2013 at 1:16pm Penguin wrote:
Am I being old fashioned in thinking that a police station should be manned (by police officers) all of the time, so that on the occasion that you might need to call the police, you can call on someone local who can react in a timely way. There is very little point in calling Eastbourne or Hailsham police station to report someone kicking in cars in the Pells, or breaking into a house in the Avenue! I know this from experience when a man was trying to get into my house (whilst I was in it), and it took the police about 3 hours to get there. By that time the man had given up and gone, but the police almost made me feel like a time waster! It could however have been a different story.
Furthermore, if the new station was so vital, yet only going to be manned by 'back room' staff the vast majority of the time, then why did they not build something on the grounds of police HQ (or even squeeze into the existing buildings) instead of on a much needed car park?

On 5 Mar 2013 at 7:34pm Edword wrote:
Penguin - I have every sympathy but what century are you living in?

On 6 Mar 2013 at 6:45pm wanderer wrote:
Penguin: I know how you feel, my car got vandalized a few years ago and I was the first to report the others on my way to work, but to top it they said my car wasn't worth the investigation... car got scrapped as it would have cost me more on excess etc than it was worth ...but.... it was mine, insured taxed etc and the police on duty were paid by my taxes and they couldn't be arsed.. its sickening

22 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Burning Crosses in Lewes 15:132
Burning Crosses in Lewes

Thanks, Stevied. You’re right, They are the best fields and pretty secure, (save for the gate at the top.) She’s on heat at... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde