Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

NHS Pay Rise

6
1
On 21 Mar 2018 at 7:18am Nigel wrote:
Sounds like good news - especially for those at the lower end. Rumoured that Porters will get 30% over the next 3 years with the average increase being 6%.
6
7
On 21 Mar 2018 at 8:40am About time wrote:
Excellent news! However I suspect it won't be long before the opposition harp on about it 'being too little too late', 'not enough', 'derisory' etc etc etc etc
5
4
On 21 Mar 2018 at 9:24am @About time wrote:
And it is.

Check it out here »
9
5
On 21 Mar 2018 at 10:30am Dexter wrote:
Since the years of 'Austerity', NHS workers have suffered successive pay cuts. The real terms pay-cut NHS staff have suffered since 2010 is well documented and only an idiot would argue against the facts.
While you have to be happy that some staff will be getting an 'headline' grabbing 30% rise in wages, the bottom line is that the average wage increase across the board is 6%.
You have to ask yourself; if that's the average, how many people are getting 30% and how many are therefore still getting 1%?
I'm not pretending to know the facts but even at 6%, unless inflation drops below one percent over the next three years it doesn't take a mathematician to see that 6% is still yet another real terms pay cut .
6
1
On 21 Mar 2018 at 7:47pm Sarah 2 wrote:
I'm genuinely pleased for NHS staff but there are 100's of thousands who also work in the public sector who are getting sod all. I work very hard for the county council in social care with depleted budgets and God-awful morale and we're getting nothing. 7 years without ANY increase = 7 years of pay cuts. The media would have you believe that the public sector is only about nurses and firefighters (the glamorous roles with huge public support) but there's a lot more to it.
4
2
On 21 Mar 2018 at 8:28pm Heapy wrote:
In real terms it's not a pay rise.
2
1
On 21 Mar 2018 at 10:10pm Sara wrote:
6% pay rise is less than they would have been getting over the past 7 years if they'd never had their pay rise frozen.
The maths is as follows:
8 years ago and beyond, nurses routinely got 3% annual pay rise, in line with annual inflation.
7 years ago they got told they would only reveive 1% due to austerity measures. They were asked to be patient and told it was only for a year. Then it happened a second year. Then a third year. Then a fourth, then fifth, then sixth, and then for a seventh year. Each of the 7 years getting only 1% rise. This was less than annual inflation and so in real terms nurses have received a year on year pay cut for 7 years. They lost 2% each year for 7 years. This totals a loss of 14% of their salaries over the last 7 years.
So a 6% pay rise is less than half of what they've had taken away from them over recent years.
Oh, and something the media aren't reporting, is that Theresa May is awarding the pay rise to nurses solely on the condition that they give up some of the annual leave entitlement in exchange for the pay rise. Which means that in effect they will be paying for their own pay rise!
 
1
On 21 Mar 2018 at 10:37pm Usurios wrote:
Just think, if Britain created it's own currency instead of borrowing it at interest from privately owned banks, there would be no inflation and austerity would not be necessary. Makes you wonder who our politicians are working for, doesn't it?
3
2
On 22 Mar 2018 at 7:03am Tom wrote:
@Sara, a lot of what you say is factually incorrect. Check out the Guardian article which details the deal.
2
1
On 22 Mar 2018 at 5:24pm Leaf wrote:
Well if it's in The Guardian it must be true.
 
1
On 22 Mar 2018 at 10:45pm Trigger wrote:
Choices, choices, choices....
No one is forced to stay in their jobs.
I work in the private sector, no gold plated final salary pension.
3 pay rises in 11 years.
Alot of private sector workers are worse off.
2
1
On 24 Mar 2018 at 12:45am @Trigger wrote:
You poor snowfake. You're probably a Daily Mail reader and always be a victim. Always crying about how hard it is for you & how good others who work so hard have it. Don't cry too hard honey. We all undertand. X


25 posts left

Your response


You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms


 

Mount Caburn 92:132
Mount Caburn

Well it looks as if I can jet off soon , none of the loud mouths with nothing behind them have anything to say, all piss and wind... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the way streets have street parties!!!!!!!
JoJo