Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

NHS Ban

On 18 Oct 2017 at 3:24pm Deja Vu wrote:
So it looks like the NHS will ban all surgery for the obese and smokers (currently they just give them a reduced service and a longer wait).
I was a little surprised to read this headline and also a little annoyed.
I get the point that it's "self inflicted", but where does it stop, obese and smokers, why not drinkers, why not drug addicts (who aren't just a burden on the NHS but society as a whole), dangerous sports participants, people who injure themselves pratting about, people with dangerous jobs, etc, etc.
Surely a regular smoker (or drinker) has paid a lot more into the NHS coffers than a non smoker/non drinker so deserves a superior service not a reduced one?

Check it out here »
On 18 Oct 2017 at 4:14pm Billy wrote:
.......unless they lose weight or give up smoking. Sounds fair to me.
On 18 Oct 2017 at 4:55pm Not a silly Billy wrote:
So a smoker can't get a toe operation as he smokes?
And at the same time drinkers can carry on drinking, drug takers carry on taking drugs and get a perfectly normal NHS service?
Sounds decidedly unfair to me!
On 18 Oct 2017 at 5:31pm Billy wrote:
Which bit don't you get? Give up smoking and you can have the toe operation.
On 18 Oct 2017 at 6:27pm The Old Mayor wrote:
Maybe smokers and fat people can stop paying National Health Insurance ? I'm fat so sod off HMRC !!
On 18 Oct 2017 at 11:07pm We'vehadourfun wrote:
Don't worry, it will be alive people denied access in the near future. Smokers and fatties are just the easy targets.
On 19 Oct 2017 at 11:49pm ElMedico wrote:
It is incorrect to say that what is being proposed is a 'blanket ban' based on being either obese or a smoker.
Certain surgeries & treatments are to be withheld in these 2 groups based on clinical evidence:
Anaesthetic risks in obese and smokers considerably higher- Fact.
Recovery times & length of stay in hospital much greater in both groups- fact.
Infection rates higher in these 2 groups. Fact.
Some surgeries have a 50-100% failure rate in smokers (eg. Vascular bypasses; spinal fusion; complex tibial fracture management.
The NHS is underfunded and overstretched. This is highly unlikely to change anytime soon. It's a matter of balancing resources. A hip replacement for a 70 year old which will keep her independent or a lumbar fusion in a 40 year old smoker with a BMI of 40 which is doomed to fail?
A kidney transplant in a 30 year old which transforms there life or a 3rd time redo of an aortic-bifemoral bypass in someone who'll be sitting outside the hospital gate 2 days post op puffing away as his legs turnnpurple.... The money is finite. Sometimes people have to be made responsible for their actions...tough but fact.

On 20 Oct 2017 at 11:48am Deja Vu wrote:
@ElMedico, good reply, shame you have not understood the point of the post.
Which is the logic of alcoholics or addicts still qualifying for surgery, surely they need to be just as responsible for their own health?

29 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Martyrs 71:132
Lewes Martyrs

This site availability is not widely known and is obviously another useful means of contacting a GP unless you have an emergency... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy
Brighton Jobs