Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Murdock's Sunday Times lackey. Lewes racist?

On 9 Aug 2010 at 1:03pm Dr Cordelia Strately wrote:
Lewes certainly does come across as a place of 'nutters'.. and a brief butcher's of this forum confirms that view. I always wondered about a town that got itself all worked-up about burning catholics and dressing-up as black people - always wondered about the apparent in-breeding and its effect on the overall collective stupidity of such an isolated community, almost medieval in its condition of having its own head lodged up its own rectal passage. Most of the 'Richard Heads' on this forum need to get a life, or maybe even just stray outside the Lewes town boundries.
On 9 Aug 2010 at 1:24pm Lewesian wrote:
How amusing...I think someone is 'aving a laugh! if you want to see in-breeding in action go to Norfolk, if you want to see racism go to London..
On 9 Aug 2010 at 2:00pm Northern bigot wrote:
Physician heal thyself! Feel free to sit in judgement of a whole town! Quack ! Quack!
On 9 Aug 2010 at 2:33pm Old Cynic wrote:
Isolated? Lewes? She's is indeed havin a laff! Nutters - well there are a few about!
We are allowed to slag each other off as we all live here and rub along quite nicely thank you very much but NO one else has the right to have a go at our town!! Lewesians, regardless if your a DF anywhere or born and bred, pro- or anti bonfire let's unite and tell this lot havin a go at OUR fine town and its people to sod off!!

On 9 Aug 2010 at 3:57pm DFC wrote:
While I wouldn't write off the whole town as a place of 'nutters' there is I believe too much of a 'them and us' going on. We do seem to forget that we do in fact all belong to the same human race. We have a far superior quality of life here in Lewes to say... well where do you start... the millions affected by the latest disaster in Pakistan... Haiti... I'm not that comfortable with the concept of burning Catholics effigies, partly probably because I am Catholic and partly because I've seen sectarianism first hand in Northern Ireland with all its manifestations of hatred, mistrust and anger. But if this is a tradition then we have to accept it and try not to dwell on it.

On 9 Aug 2010 at 4:24pm norther bigot wrote:
How many times do you have to say its Pope Paul V, the Pope at the time of the gunpowder plot. But time and time again the media to stir it refer to it as the Pope. Are not the best judges the catholics of Lewes, numerous of whom belong to the bonfire societies, including the cliffe. What happens in Lewes is the least of the churches worries re child abuse, and problems raising the funds for the papal visit!

On 9 Aug 2010 at 9:20pm DFC wrote:
I've actually yet to meet the numerous catholics in the bonfire societies but I'm sure you must be right why would anyone exaggerate something to make a point, even in a sunday newspaper

On 10 Aug 2010 at 9:49am Northern Bigot wrote:
One of the best books ever written about Bonfire was by Andy Thomas a catholic as he mentions in the book "streets of fire" who was brought up in Lewes. Buy a bonfire programme! You might recognise somebody. No exaggeration i assure you.

On 10 Aug 2010 at 10:00am Catholic wrote:
There are many catholics in bonfire, me included. I am so proud to be part of Bonfire and its great traditions. And I agree with the other posts. How many times do we have to tell people which Pope it is!!!!

28 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Chapel Hill Lewes 20:132
Chapel Hill Lewes

Hi. Has anyone been camping at Blackberry wood? I've booked with a small group for next month but am reading conflicting info on... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The Lewes Forum is one of the many great things about Lewes
Nina