Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Mumford closes school

On 11 Jul 2013 at 9:30pm Plum wrote:

Priory School Closure – Friday 19 July 2013
As you may be aware Lewes is hosting the ‘Gentlemen of the Road Stopover Tour’ on
Friday 19 and Saturday 20 July. This is a major event with the concert taking place on
the Convent Fields. Priory sports field has been designated part of the festival (as a
campsite).
Over the past two weeks we have been engaged in undertaking a risk assessment in
partnership with East Sussex County Council and Lewes District Council. We have had
to assess the challenges of opening the school on Friday 19 July.
There are many issues we have had to consider including the closure of Mountfield
Road to traffic from 7.00am on Friday 19 July, the opening of the campsite from 9.00am,
the football festival at the Dripping Pan which is scheduled for 10.30am – 12.30pm, all of
which mean that access to and from the school is very limited. Furthermore there are
other risks associated with hosting a large event so close to the school grounds.
The conclusion reached by all parties after considerable consultation is that the school
will be closed to students on Friday 19 July.
We are sorry that we have to take this action and appreciate that it will result in
inconvenience to you however this decision has only been taken after extensive
consultation with ESCC, LDC and the police.
Yours sincerely
Mr A Smith
On 11 Jul 2013 at 10:22pm Paul wrote:
Will they open on 25 July so teachers make up for the day off?

On 11 Jul 2013 at 10:51pm beggars belief wrote:
No but Marcus Mumford is making a huge donation to the school funds in order for them to have their own swimming pool and sports complex. Well some rubber rings really !!

On 11 Jul 2013 at 11:42pm Grandpa wrote:
I think it is a legpull.

On 12 Jul 2013 at 7:08am just a parent wrote:
* school's website
On 12 Jul 2013 at 12:03pm Unpaid Leave wrote:
Just the latest example of something that LDC's Page and Rowlands failed to consider, or think mattered. They might like to explain what parents are expected to do at such short notice. Maybe Jenny Rowlands would like to pay for some alternative arrangements, since she is so keen to focus on the benefits of what she bulldozed through without proper consultation with anyone, including, it seems, Priory School.
How did they think the school could stay open?
On 12 Jul 2013 at 12:36pm stevied wrote:
"what parents are expected to do at such short notice" ?! - it's a secondary school for heavens sake - go to work as normal and let your kids spend the day out playing with their mates!
On 12 Jul 2013 at 12:40pm My kids can cope wrote:
Or go and live somewhere where nothing happens, ever.
On 12 Jul 2013 at 3:50pm Unpaid Leave wrote:
well that is lovely for you both, how about thinking about other people who look after their children differently to you, or can't just chuck their kids on the street unsupervised? Of course it is good to live somewhere where things are going on, what a silly comment. Competent people think through the implications of an event sooner, rather than later...or in this case 1 week before.
Incidentally, I notice that the Council thinks that only the area near the site will be affected by parking problems, so has only provided free resident parking there. Dream on! :-)

On 12 Jul 2013 at 4:12pm Belladonna wrote:
Yes I notice zone c isn't considered a central zone even though it is. Residents are likely to badly affected everywhere in town and the same deal with free parking for residents in any area or car park should be extended to all zones
On 12 Jul 2013 at 5:34pm Dunk wrote:
Why on earth should teachers be expected to lose their holidays Paul? What a stupid thing to say.
Whilst I do feel that a music festival shouldn't close a school, I really think Priory have made the only sensible decision here. I hope teachers and kids alike all enjoy their bonus day. Good luck to them.

On 16 Jul 2013 at 5:02pm bastian wrote:
The staff are expected to work from home , which most of them do any way after school hours.(so I have been told by a member of staff).

25 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

extinction rebellion lewes 36:143
extinction rebellion lewes

I'm very happy for you then. How are you going to use it? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams