Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Most dangerous road in Lewes

On 31 Mar 2015 at 9:45pm plumber wrote:
The most risky road is Mountfield Road when kids are going to school and leaving. They jockey for position often stepping into the street unexpectedly. I know they are going to do it so I drive quite slowly, but (some of) the college kids don't.

I think it should be pedestrian and residents only, when kids are going and returning from school. Then Pedestrian friendly all other hours.
It is only a short road and maybe fewer people could drive to exercise?
On 31 Mar 2015 at 10:05pm Plod wrote:
Maybe te stupid kids could use some common sense and stay on the pavement , it's been the same since I was walking tree in the early 70's
On 31 Mar 2015 at 10:20pm Clifford wrote:
Yes, all these pedestrians getting in the way of cars. And the damage a body does when it hits a car, it's terrible. Let's build tunnels for the pedestrians to use, or better still ban them from going out completely.
On 1 Apr 2015 at 8:57am bastian wrote:
many years ago a friend of mine asked me if I thought their kids was safe cycling to school and I said yes-but not on Mountfield road because the kids form the college drive like idiots, I actually saw one mount the pavement and drive along it for over twenty yards, narrowly missing a woman walking straight towards them to avoid a lorry doing 20 mile per hour.
It is officially the most dangerous, but not because of the kids, they have a right to wlak to school, and who cannot remember walking in droves to school?
On 1 Apr 2015 at 10:27am Pedantic Driver wrote:
Sorry, to be pedantic, but there are no such things as dangerous roads.
Inconsiderate drivers/motorcyclists and/or inapproriate behaviour by pedestrians/cyclists/horseriders etc is what brings the danger, not the roads themselves.
No road will cause an accident, but using the road, or pavement, in an unsafe or inappropriate manner may well cause one.
So, Mountfield road is not, in itself, dangerous - but the behaviour of the many users often is!
On 1 Apr 2015 at 1:34pm Jean and Bob wrote:
The area outside the station (when operating normally) is a particularly hazardous place. People dropping off, picking up, stopping for the shop on the yellow lines!, taxis swerving all over the place (a particular hate of mine), car's going in both direction, deliveries, buses, coupled with school kids wondering aimlessly into the road on foot and bike (Although I did back then too) all makes for a very confusing mess. And soon to be... lorries. The whole area needs better planning and marking out.

On 1 Apr 2015 at 1:47pm Taff wrote:
What is the point of the terracotta road covering with large 20 in an oval at the ends of Prince Edwards Rd?
Apologies if changing topic here.
On 1 Apr 2015 at 3:05pm Pink Mist wrote:
@Pedantic Driver, I have to disagree with you. IEDs and land mines can make roads dangerous. You can be the most considerate driver in the world and still come to grief.
I would also opine that the vertiginous sides that border the crumbling tarmacadam of the B2219 with its hairpin bends and blind dips make the wearing of brown corduroys and bicycle clips absolutely essential.
On 1 Apr 2015 at 5:35pm ROAD MAN wrote:
Fishers street it dirty and a sh#t hole of a road .
On 1 Apr 2015 at 5:46pm Old Plumber wrote:
When I was @ Priory we had the sense not to walk into the road - when I was @ the college opposite learning my craft I used to tear up the road on my 650 Triumph.
On 1 Apr 2015 at 7:01pm wanderer wrote:
Pedantic Driver: you are slightly wrong there ,, remember southerham roundabout the shooter lane before it was coated with anti skid there was at least 5 a day in damp conditions now there is virtually none .. but yes its drivers and people.. in a hurry as per usual . personally that road needs to be closed at peak times just 20mins morning and afternoon
On 1 Apr 2015 at 9:40pm plumber wrote:
Plod - there is no such thing as a walking tree so keep your comments in your own reality.
i don't think we need to foam rubber the world, but if we know Traffic volume has increased, pedestrian traffic has increased and cars have improved acceleration and kids have noise cancelling headphones; maybe we should look out for them.
Serious injury or death is slightly too high of a price for a bit of stupidity. I am sure everyone on this forum can recall a close call from their teenage years - except you; of course as you were probably a "Running Tree"; which doesn't exist either.
Oh, and why on EARTH did they not redesign station road when they had to rebuild it?? WHO was in charge of that project? They could have put all the parking bays on one side, widened the pavement AND EVEN put in a cycle lane (or walking cycles lane as I could not pedal a cycle up that hill). Instead they put it exactly the same!
On 1 Apr 2015 at 9:56pm Pedan tree wrote:
pixy perdicktive toxt on phobile moan

On 2 Apr 2015 at 10:39am Belladonna wrote:
Haha - well done pedan tree. You made me laugh aloud after some sad news
On 2 Apr 2015 at 4:04pm Taff wrote:
Plumber, I almost mullered a cyclist on Station Street some years back, or to be more accurate he almost mullered himself speeding down and dodging me at the Lansdown junction. I could have had some understanding had it been a child or teenager even but 50+ NFW!
I still dont know the significance of the large 20 in an oval on a terracotta road surface at both ends of Prince Edwards Rd? Be great to know.

On 3 Apr 2015 at 7:25pm WTF is a Shooter lane wrote:
- as it happens I was @ the other end of the erstwhile Folkestone to Honiton Trunk Road a few days ago - there was a proper Left turn@ a roundabout lane - it was like a complete lane some 20 feet from the roundabout . What the hell is wrong with the Clowns in East Sussex Highways dept. ??

On 7 Apr 2015 at 11:58am Plod wrote:
@ plumber = prat and I bet you overcharge . Every one else worked out it was a typo , tree = there ,

20 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Beer garden 9:132
Beer garden

Given the amount of vitriol aimed at Viva Lewes over the years, I'm surprised that nobody has come on here to celebrate its... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like tea and faerie cakes on the Castle Green
NCG