Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

More underhand Tesco tactics (petrol)

On 10 Dec 2012 at 1:45pm Petrolhead wrote:
I've long thought Tescos a dishonest and disreputable store, with their fake price-drop booze, confusingly priced veg (try comparing the price of their onions), phony two for one offers and veg that is not ripe and then just goes off (melons for instance) but have just used their petrol facility for the first time in ages. They serve two grades of unleaded petrol. The premium (I think) is four pence more expensive than the usual stuff. At the pump it's very hard to tell which is which as they are branded similarly and the description seems designed to confuse. As a result its very easy to fill up with the wrong fuel. Judging by the other underhand Tesco tactics this is sure to be by design. When asked about this the till person gave a wry and knowing smile and confirmed that many people fill up with the higher priced fuel by mistake.

Tesco's really do take the p1ss. Increasingly I get my groceries from Aldi's and Waitros (and a host of independents). With the demise of United Petroleum it's become harder to buy petrol from an independent but I'll try to use the Offham and Ringmer garages as much as i can.

Bah, humbug.
On 10 Dec 2012 at 2:41pm Jack Cohen wrote:
If you can't distinguish between the two grades then maybe your eyesight isn't up to even be drivng a car on the road. Get real you whinger.
As for Aldi........ I grew a beard queueing up at their checkout last time.
On 10 Dec 2012 at 4:16pm Petrolhead wrote:
Seems I'm not alone though.
You are obviously cleverer than than the average Jack (and ruder too).
On 10 Dec 2012 at 4:56pm Driver wrote:
If you cant take the two seconds to read what is on the pump then obviously you have issues!
Do you sometimes put diesel in as well ? and blame someone else!
The two petrol pumps are either side of the diesel pump, by the time you have selected whether you are to pay at the pump or kiosk you should have already identified the pump you are to use.
I would also like to argue that almost all petrol stations have 2 types of unleaded (esso and offham) and they too will have them marked the same colour as green is the universal colour for petroleum as black is for diesel.

Maybe you should buy a bicycle

On 10 Dec 2012 at 5:53pm Townie wrote:
been filling up there for years, never had a problem. SHOULD'VE GONE TO SPECSAVERS
On 10 Dec 2012 at 6:06pm SHS wrote:
As Driver noted, most if not all petrol stations have a 'premium' fuel that they seem to hope you will buy once you have been attracted by the advertised price for the basic grade. Often difficult to spot but luckily so far I've avoided Petrolhead's mistake. Amazing how much the pump price varies - I regularly see a 10p per litre price difference for the same basic diesel, e.g. £1.35 per litre in some London garages and £1.45 per litre in East Grinstead.

On 10 Dec 2012 at 6:25pm Rookie wrote:
Super unleaded is not simply made to fool people. For people like me who have old classic cars it is essential. Tesco's is particularly good as its 99 octane, Asda dont't do the better grade.

On 10 Dec 2012 at 9:20pm Ed Can Do wrote:
I used to buy Tesco superunleaded when I had a Subaru. It's actually better quality than you'd get at pretty much any other garage. I don't see how you couldn't tell the difference though, it's pretty clearly labelled as super, has 99 rather than 95 written all over it plus once you pick up the pump, should you manage to get that far without noticing, the price flashes up on the pump.

Given how often people pull onto the Tesco roundabout without looking to see if there are any cars coming, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that some of their customers aren't observant enough to spot the difference between the pumps.

On 11 Dec 2012 at 9:50am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
At some petrol stations, it's not clear which pumps have what until you're right up close to them. On more than one occasion, I've had to change pumps because the one I've just queued at only has expensive petrol and if it's busy you can't always just reverse up and go to another one.
Shell are particularly bad for that.

On 11 Dec 2012 at 10:34am Clifford wrote:
What fascinates me are the 'marketing' graduates who presumably feel very proud of themselves for coming up with all the little pricing scams that are clearly set up to con customers - not just Tescos, Waitrose do it as well.

On 11 Dec 2012 at 1:31pm Driver 2 wrote:
ACT, I too have to be close to the pumps, because I to have to pick them up and put them in the car as is the norm with filling up. (*Shakes Head*)
Yes sometimes some of the pumps are out of service however this doesn't mean you have to buy the expensive one.
However if you were in any store buying something and there is two similar items. You would check the price before buying it, not get to the till and then say you were tricked into buying the expensive one.

On 11 Dec 2012 at 1:35pm MotoX wrote:
gotta agree with the first poster.. the only time i've filled up with the wrong grade of unleaded was at tescos... never had any trouble at any other garage.

On 11 Dec 2012 at 1:46pm Jack Cohen wrote:
Some people ought to think how convenient it is to have all grades at each pump rather than complaining about how easy it is to mix them up. Filling up with the wrong fuel is just sheer incompetence on the part of the driver.

On 11 Dec 2012 at 4:01pm Numberjack wrote:
I filled up at Tesco in Burgess Hill today, having read this thread previously I was interested to note that the two grades of unleaded were next to each other on the pump, both with green labels and hoses etc. (as they have to be). One was called "Premium 95 octane", the other "Momentum". Momentum had no obvious indication of the octane rating (not that I could see anyway).
The large sign showing prices ONLY has one unleaded price, this being the price for premium.
I would assume, as I am sure would many others, that offered two products, one called Momentum and the other called premium, that premium would be the product considered to be of higher quality, whereas in this case the opposite is true. Of course it doesn't take a second to check the displayed price on the pump before starting to fill.
From Tesco website - "Momentum99 is the new name for Tesco's premium petrol"
I can't find a reference on their website to what they now call premium?
It would seem to me that they are trying to dupe us into buying the more expensive Momentum. A quick search of web forums suggests that there are little or no benefits to using the momentum fuel for the majority of drivers.
on a slightly different tack - has anyone else noticed that the Tesco pumps get up to 10-12p before you can feel the pump pumping? I think I will also ask weights and measures this question!

On 11 Dec 2012 at 4:57pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Sorry driver2, I obviously didn't make myself clear. I was talking about garages where they have the expensive petrol at some pumps and the cheaper petrol* at others. It's not clear which is available at which pump until you've got right alongside it, so can be a bit of a faff if you have to move to another pump, it's busy and you have a queue of cars up your jacksie.
On balance, I prefer the Tesco system.
* this should probably have read "expensive petrol and even more expensive petrol" thinking about it.

On 11 Dec 2012 at 5:23pm landporter wrote:
This is unbelievable. No wonder this country is going down the crapper. It's all about taking responsibility for your actions. You cock it up, there's always someone else you have to blame, never yourself. Admit you made a mistake, get over it and move on, just don't blame everyone else.

On 11 Dec 2012 at 8:03pm Sussex Jim wrote:
Stop at the pump."Premium" unleaded is the cheapest. Push the button "pay in kiosk". Lift pump and place in tank. Wait until pump switches on , and displays price. Only then when satisfied do you fill up.
Lock your car and proceed to pay. If they interrupt the transaction trying to sell you chocolate, then start the transaction again. Do not be flustered, in rural Sussex, with impatient DFL's waiting to fill their Chelsea tractors.

On 11 Dec 2012 at 8:22pm Ed Can Do wrote:
Numberjack, it probably covers the cost of fuel already in the pipe, or they're just helping themselves to 10p each time you fill up.

On 12 Dec 2012 at 3:03pm brixtonbelle wrote:
well I agree with petrolhead and numberjack - I find the different names given to the petrol at the pump confusing - I would instinctively think the premium is the more expensive, not the momentum. And the prices are deliberately not displayed by them. So you have to activate the pump for the price to flash up. If you are using pay at pump facility, you can't switch pumps. I've not yet got the wrongpetrol but can see how easily it could happen.
On 13 Dec 2012 at 4:00pm Zebedee wrote:
It's definitely a deliberate con.. and fits with the general character of Tescos who, as their profits reduce resort to increasingly sly and dishonest tactics.

Landporter: this has nothing to do with taking responsibility for your actions, it's about being deliberately tricked. Wake up.

On 14 Dec 2012 at 3:48pm padster wrote:
Jack cohen is a spoksman for tesco, and if he isnt actually emloyed by them they should because he has really quite the defender of the poor mega internation superstore that they are. You got their back jack fighting their corner lucky tesco every little helps.
by the way theor food is utter bile apart from the apple turnover and waitrose is far better. go to waitrose go to waitrose you can afford it tesco is not cheap aldi is.

On 14 Dec 2012 at 7:37pm landporter wrote:
To be honest, if you don't like it, just don't go to Tescos. There's plenty that will.

15 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Cliffe Tableau 2015 Alight 22:143
Cliffe Tableau 2015 Alight

And further ER hypocrisy in the Pells this week, with a two-car household demanding that ESCC stop funding climate change.
You... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like tea and faerie cakes on the Castle Green
NCG