Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

More cars smashed up last night!

On 5 Aug 2009 at 11:50am Sam Spam wrote:
according to our "boys in blue", cars along North St were vandalised last night and some little tykes tried to smash into the Pells Pool building!
That pool is as much their's as it is ours so they are simply busting up their own property!!!!!
Any info please post here or call 0845 6070999 and have a chat with whoever answers......surely it doesn't have to be like this?

On 5 Aug 2009 at 12:31pm bonfirek wrote:
If the old bill actually went out on regular foot patrol perhaps this wouldn't happen. It's a bit late for Police to wait till after the crime has happened. A bit like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted!
What do we pay our council tax for anyway. Never mind we'll see loads of the old Bill in town on the 5th, if only they cared so much every other night of the year!

On 5 Aug 2009 at 12:44pm The Major wrote:
Well said, i can't remember the last time i saw a PC on foot patrol

On 5 Aug 2009 at 2:31pm Taff wrote:
Perhaps a reduction in local tax would constrain their budget resulting in less cars and more Bobbies on the pavement.
I wonder what they would have to say about vigilantes?

On 5 Aug 2009 at 3:45pm Sam Spam wrote:
I can't help but think that the issue goes a lot deeper than the number of police on the ground, with all the clever people in Lewes, surely someone has the answer to this problem?....
is it controlling drink (every morning both Malling Park and Pells are covered in booze tins, class and "fast food" wrappers).
is it parents regaining control of their kids (or is that too far from reality)
is it the kids themselves being brought back into mainstream society so that they join the millions of "nice" kids who don't do this sort of thing?
is it youth-workers engaging with the "Youf" or 24hr boxing clubs?
I would be keen to find out!

On 5 Aug 2009 at 4:35pm bonfirek wrote:
It's lack of corporal punishment and trendy parents not disciplining their kids! And the fact the kids know they can get away with it coz the old bill and courts wont do anything to them!

On 5 Aug 2009 at 5:30pm juju wrote:
Maybe its the same group of kids who stampeded the cows below Landport then stood throwing stones at the poor creatures, only sorry i was to far away to catch them.

On 5 Aug 2009 at 7:08pm Keeley wrote:
bonfirek is spot on...its the pathetic excuses for parents that don't install discipline and plain right from wrong, combined with our "justice system" (I use the words laughingly) that slap a warning or an ASBO (what sort of deterrant is that anyway? Kids nowadays collect them like they once collected marbles) on youths that make people's lives a misery every day. BRING BACK NATIONAL SERVICE.

On 5 Aug 2009 at 7:53pm TT wrote:
Things have been better than last summer in the Pells but I believe there is CCTV installed at the Pells Pool??
The Pells Park looks like a war zone every morning after it has been rammed with 'nice kids' during the afternoons.
We have been encouraged to call the police at any time however insignificant you might think the activity actually is. Please do this and we will get more foot patrols etc
I say close the bridge to Landport after certain times.

On 5 Aug 2009 at 8:32pm Vet wrote:
Keeley wrote: 'BRING BACK NATIONAL SERVICE.'
What a brilliant idea - then the little hooligans can learn to use violence in a professional way. Does Keeley really think our hard-pressed troops have got nothing better to do than handhold little twerps? The best thing would be to have cops on thr streets rather than sitting in canteens planning their early retirement.

On 5 Aug 2009 at 9:01pm Charlies angel wrote:
Something has to be done! I gave up detectiving in one format 25 years ago as I was sick of the hard work and stress taken to get thieves to court for the system to let us all down, and the offender literally giving me the fingers and laughing as they left the court room. If things have progressed even further over the last few years in the wrong direction, surely something has to change? Lets start a major petition. I have never hit my kids, but none of them would ever deliberately damage anyones property as they have respect for me and other peoples property.

On 5 Aug 2009 at 9:04pm Ed Can Do wrote:
If kids ever actually got punished for anything they did wrong they might buck their ideas up but like Keeley said, an ASBO is no deterrent at all for kids these days, it's a largely meaningless gesture. Kids know they'll never get a proper sentence in the courts and even going to court is pretty unlikely and that's assuming there's anyone around to catch them. If a member of the public tries to intervene then more than likely it'll be them that gets in trouble. If the courts started handing out community service rather than ASBOs then kids would stop being such hooligans. The parents should be punished too to try to make them take some responsibility for their little monsters.

On 5 Aug 2009 at 10:33pm Could have been... wrote:
I was an apprentice 'nasty piece of work' when I was a nipper.
A combination of my parents,teachers,and a few clips round the ears,a few threats and the great Constable Whittle soon put me in my place.

On 6 Aug 2009 at 2:06am Not related to taxpayer wrote:
Lewes: Highest Council Tax of all Non-Metropolitan Councils IN England. What do we get from LDC and ESCC? S1*t

On 6 Aug 2009 at 11:03am The Tooth Fairy wrote:
We get councillors and council workers with huge pension pots, that's what!

On 6 Aug 2009 at 3:02pm grimley2 wrote:
National service (or a modern version thereof) might work...
As an aside, did you know that there is, on average, one amputation EVERY day in Afganistan at the moment?

On 6 Aug 2009 at 3:49pm Dick Dastadly wrote:
Excellent idea - amputate their gonads, then we won't have to worry about the next generation of little sods.

On 6 Aug 2009 at 4:00pm Sam Spam wrote:
since National Service would take many years to instigate, chopping off gonads may be illegal and setting up a vigilante organisation unwise, has anybody got a workable/practical idea that may work in the short term?.......

On 6 Aug 2009 at 4:49pm bonfirek wrote:
Vigilanteism sounds good, i bet the old bill would arrest the vigilantes though rather than the chavs!

On 6 Aug 2009 at 5:00pm Lord Landport wrote:
As the comic Frankie Boyle said in a recent Mock the week tv show
The ASBO is a status symbol to most kids so why not rename
them Bender Badges
see how many kids want that as a status symbol.

On 6 Aug 2009 at 5:12pm bonfirek wrote:
Notice how the old bill, who we know read this, haven't yet commented on this thread?

On 6 Aug 2009 at 5:24pm Keeley wrote:
No, I do not think they have "nothing better to do then handhold little twerps" and I speak as someone who has a relative in the army, but yes I do happen to think it WOULD be a brilliant idea, as do many others.

On 6 Aug 2009 at 6:39pm Spongebob wrote:
Ok...you're the old Bill...what would you do considdering there is no pattern to the vandalism, no set area, no time scale. Also bear in mind that the pubs and charcy have their fair share of attention let alone the domestics etc
Go on, i dare you. Tell us how you police this and catch the culprits red handed.

On 6 Aug 2009 at 7:15pm Inspector Clouseau wrote:
Easy spongy, you watch the route from town centre to Landport from 11:30 on a Friday and Saturday.
Me waits eagerly for a bite on the line

On 6 Aug 2009 at 7:23pm Spongebob wrote:
Every friday and saturday Inspector ? What roads should i watch ? Is that the Offham road route or the Pells route ? The Pells area was targetted last week.....what about this week ? or the next ?
Keep em coming.

On 6 Aug 2009 at 7:41pm Duke wrote:
I used to live on this route near North Street. Had my car done twice. Second time, they keyed every panel on the car. The police didn't want to know and it cost nearly £3000 to put it right. Nearly every Friday and Saturday we would hear the fights and arguments outside.

On 6 Aug 2009 at 9:13pm PC Plod wrote:
Nothing like arresting 'vigilantes', nice an' easy 'cause they're nice upstanding members of the community they don't put up a fight. They're just at their wits end at our complete disinterest in them or their problems. Now, arresting little scroats that cause all the problems, well that's a different matter. Human rights see. They've got these human rights and that makes it too much bother for us. At the end of the day folks, it's only a bloody car. Ring Eccles for god sake give him something to put in his paper.
Put the kettle on, sarge. Evening all.

On 6 Aug 2009 at 10:13pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
It may be "only a car" and as such it is not life threatening and can be repaired. However, it is deeply irritating for the victims of this type of crime - ultimately they are out of pocket due to insurance excess, increase on insurances and blooming inconvienience.
I'm all for the amputation idea, but fear that criminals would then have a passport to claim Disability Living Allowance (another of my bugbears in life)

On 6 Aug 2009 at 10:22pm Makes me laugh! wrote:
People always try to make it seem that all crime has to come from people living on Landport, that is rubbish, it is all over Lewes. Landport isn't quite the place you paint it, I have lived here all of my life and it really isn't that bad. Perhaps some of you should stick your heads out of your shells and imagine what it's like to live in some of the city's in this country... then you might know what crime really is!!

On 6 Aug 2009 at 10:37pm PC Plod wrote:
Every copper knows that all Landportites are villans. Therefore you will be pleased to know that there is no chance of ever seeing the likes of me down there. We might send a pcso to have a look around so go easy on him.
Chinese or Indian, sarge? Evening all.

On 7 Aug 2009 at 6:48am Chavport wrote:
I think we all know that Lewes is certainly not the crime capital of the south east but it does not it anyway diminish from the inconvenience, distress and expense that being on the recipient causes.
As to Landport not just housing villains; of course that is the case but you get a rather jaundiced view after watching cars being repeatedly wrecked, the pool smashed up etc etc and the folk involved walking back across the bridge.

On 7 Aug 2009 at 7:29am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I think Lewes seems to have a remarkably high amount of crime for a town of its size. In 37 years of living in a city, I was a victim of crime 3 times. In the first year I lived here I was burgled twice, and in the subsequent 10 years had my car broken into and occasionally things stolen from it more times than I can count.
Mind you, I wouldn't go back for any money!

On 7 Aug 2009 at 8:33am PC Plod wrote:
That's nothing to worry about Annette, not real villanry. What used to be known as 'petty crime'. Now, under new guidelines that sort of activity is simply refered to as 'slightly annoying' and therefore we don't have to waste time investigating it (not that we would've anyway). If you're the victim of an act of 'slight annoyance' just drop a note through the station door (it's always locked now, thank christ) and we'll send you our standard 'You have been the victim of something slightly annoying' letter.
Where's the speed gun sarge? Morning all.

On 7 Aug 2009 at 11:26am Sam Spam wrote:
so that's that then?......the whole thing and debate just falls off a cliff(e) into the usually mud-slinging, pedantic nonsense and attempts at gallows humour?.....it appears that none of us have the faintest idea how to pull all the bits of Lewes together and help each other!......frustrated
We have 2 big universities down the road with most of the lecturers living here, many of whom probably teach psycology, sociology and the like and nothing!.....maybe that says more about what's really going on than all the "cut the hands off" brigade...sigh

On 7 Aug 2009 at 11:59am Jabez wrote:
Social sciences are a hobby and are not worthy of careers.
Might as well give a doctorate for common sense assumptions.

On 7 Aug 2009 at 1:28pm Lets Do Lunch! wrote:
Very funny... that could explain why social services up and down the country are in such a mess.
As for pulling together and devising an action plan, count me in.

1 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Moving On parade 93:132
Moving On parade

It's disconcerting to see Priti Patel called an idiot right at the beginning. One might find her offensive and dislike her but... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like it when people find lost stuff on the forum
Jim