Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Mixed year classes

On 27 Jul 2011 at 5:57pm LIVELOVELAUGH wrote:
My children have attended mixed year classes, both at a very good school and then at a not so good school. I would say in both instances the mixed age range does not make a great difference. Either you have good teaching that differentiates, or you don't. All teaching needs to differentiate between the top achievers in the class and the ones struggling at the bottom, ages, within the range, don't really make a great deal of difference if you think about it. o.k. so a reception class child may have their birthday in sepember so only just missed being in year 1! Classes are divided up by age ranges - if you stand all children in a row from the youngest to the oldest, for each class you take a section, all mixed ages means is that the sections are divided at different points. If that makes sense! I would also like to say that the not so good school my children attended also went into special measures. It is a bit of a blow when this happens to your school - BUT - it does mean that they will be supported, and have money thrown at them in every way you can think of to help, support and advise them into improving and providing the best for the children. The one thing I would say is essential though is a good leader ship/ senior management team and good governance. I think your report says that the governors are not good. If you are concerned about your childrens school then get onto the board of governors, find out what is needed and be part of the team that puts things right. Don't be afraid to challenge, but do it in a positive constructive way, ask your questions and don't rest till you get answers. Another piece of good advise, if you want to improve things for the school, and inturn your child, don't make your enquiries/ challenges personal, make them for the good of the whole school. Good luck.

On 27 Jul 2011 at 6:13pm LIVELOVELAUGH wrote:
My last post was referring back to the Western Road School Reception - September 2011. Just thought I should add that! der!! Also my children have now moved on to secondary school but I still work at the school, having started as a helper, becoming involved in the PTA, governors, and now I am the Community Cohesion Leader. The school has been out of special measures since last November having been in for approx 18 months.
I would also like to comment on the point about there being to many primary schools in Lewes and that maybe they should be amalgamated. I think this would be a shame, big schools become in personal and the children and parents become a little anonamous. Also individual planning becomes very difficult if you have great numbers to deal with. Children with additional needs get lost in the numbers. Great the school has high pass rates in the SATS, etc., no investigation needed. But what of those children who are not hitting the mark?! Small schools cannot hide numbers. Ask this question of your school, what percentage of the school population does your child represent? Government national averages - each 1% represents 1,000 children. Do the math - if you can!

On 27 Jul 2011 at 6:42pm Teacher wrote:
'Do the math'? Are you American by any chance? If not, we call it 'maths' over here.

On 27 Jul 2011 at 7:09pm pedantic pedant wrote:
Or Teacher, it could've been a simple typo.
why is everyone so keen to jump down people's throats on here ?

On 27 Jul 2011 at 7:34pm Teacher wrote:
I didn't remark on 'in personal' for impersonal and 'anonamous' for anonymous. In my view, anyone who is commenting at such length on education should at least take the trouble to read over their posts.

On 28 Jul 2011 at 11:50am 'ere be monsters wrote:
What's a Community Cohesion Leader?

On 28 Jul 2011 at 12:18pm Teachers pet wrote:
I haven't got a glue!

On 28 Jul 2011 at 1:58pm bastian wrote:
western road always had a mixed year 5 and 6 class a few years ago,don't remember anyone complaining,infact there was an uproar when the new classroom was built to accomodate the classes seperately because it ment a larger intake and there fore a bigger school.

On 28 Jul 2011 at 6:16pm LIVELOVELAUGH wrote:
TEACHER - i get so fed up with small petty minds - thanks for the support pedantic pedant. You have said nothing of any value TEACHER and I do hope it is ex TEACHER because with a small spiteful mind as yours I would not want you anywhere near my children. TEACHER you have made no comment regarding the subject. ERE BE MONSTERS, my title, me and my head teacher made it up!lol! It is a new role and we didn't know what to call it. My main role in school is to be both practical and emotional support for the parents and families of our school. I provide Family Learning and Adult learning in school, facilitate support groups and organise lots of fun, this June we took part in the Hailsham Carnival for the third year in a row. Hope I haven't bored you to much with that TEACHER!

On 28 Jul 2011 at 11:29pm Teacher wrote:
And I get fed up with ill-written and badly-spelt comments. If you really are a 'community cohesion leader' I despair for the 'community'.

On 29 Jul 2011 at 8:36am Toot wrote:
Alarm bells are ringing...
Methnks that Emerson might be back people!!!!!!!!!!!

On 29 Jul 2011 at 10:50pm Jude wrote:
As a Western Road parent, it's news to me that the school came out of special measures in November !! I think it may also be news to the head teacher, teachers and governors, too. !

On 29 Jul 2011 at 11:03pm Winterbourne Wanderer wrote:
Exactly Jude - this was news to me too! I am also a Western Road parent and far as I remember the last Ofsted was satisfactory; I never heard anything about special measures. Care to comment, LiveLoveLaugh?

On 30 Jul 2011 at 6:37pm Teacher wrote:
So, not only ill-written and badly-spelt comments, but also inaccurate by the look of it.

On 31 Jul 2011 at 10:27pm Phil wrote:
I also did a double-take when I read this. I don't think it's inaccurate but just confusingly written. I'm pretty sure LiveLoveLaugh is talking about Pell's - certainly not Western Road.

On 1 Aug 2011 at 8:37am Winterbourne Wanderer wrote:
Very good Phil - reread it in light of what you said and realise you're right - LLL is talking about the school his/her children went to which was in special measures, not Western Road. Bit confusing though.

On 4 Aug 2011 at 9:45am LIVELOVELAUGH wrote:
JUDE and others on here - sorry I was referring to the similar situation that the school I work at was in - which is not in Lewes. I was just saying that every cloud has a silver lining. I have no knowledge of the Western Road School, just commenting on what I have read here. Sorry for any confusion I have caused. TEACHER - get a life!

20 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Spires 80:132
Lewes Spires

Well it looks as if I can jet off soon , none of the loud mouths with nothing behind them have anything to say, all piss and wind... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like All the wide open spaces on the downs
Jojo