Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Mayhew Way Development in Sussex Express

On 8 Sep 2012 at 8:43am king cnut wrote:
I read the front page of the local chip wrapper and unfortunately the article came across very poorly. Hardly a massive uprising against this plan, more like a handful of people just moaning about noise and loss of view. Also, where will this flooding take place now the bank has been raised (serious question)?
The artist view looks nothing like the mentioned 4 storey houses with garage space at ground level.
Overall I'm still in favour of a new build on this eyesore patch of land.

On 8 Sep 2012 at 10:09am Local Adult wrote:
Agreed 100%.
Looked like 12 miserable nimby's moaning about possible building noise for a few months. In reality, that's probably exactly what it was.
What do they think happened when their own houses were built? No noise or dust for the people who lived nearby at that time?

On 8 Sep 2012 at 8:51pm Fairmeadow wrote:
Very hard to justify leaving a central Lewes site like this to grow brambles, when so many people need homes.
That doesn't mean that the new development shouldn't take steps to avoid being inconsiderate to its neighbours, especially as the new plans are for only half as many houses as the scheme previously approved.
On 9 Sep 2012 at 8:48am Matt Kent wrote:
Apart from the residents this application affects greatly, there are many issues that affect parts of Lewes and Malling too. Apart from residents, there are major concerns from Lewes Town Council, Lewes District Council and East Sussex County Council. Issues such as more traffic along Church Lane, the need for more Primary School capacity throughout Lewes, the impact on mature trees along Blakes Walk and no planned affordable homes.
Then there is the contaminated site, background noise, general poor pastiche 'Lewesian' architecture and then the impact from flooding.
If you read the Flood Risk Assessment you will discover that the site is still at a 1:100 risk of flooding (even with the earth bund now in place, check the Environmental Agency Flood Plans for more detail). The new homes will flood sacrificially but the neighbouring homes will still be impacted. The Flood Risk Assessment highlights the development will have a 'Low' impact on the area. There is no detail about what that impact is. However small it is an impact. Some may see this as 'Nimbyism'. Many others may see this as an inappropriate site for development in general, given its geology, hydrology, ecology and history.
On 9 Sep 2012 at 8:51am Pete wrote:
Why can't they just make a nice park out of it all ?
On 9 Sep 2012 at 11:39am Townie wrote:
Matt Kent wrote... "general poor pastiche 'Lewesian' architecture"
Now that, just about sums this town up.
On 9 Sep 2012 at 11:57am John Stockdale wrote:
@Matt, the fact is that the site is zoned for development and an application for a larger, uglier and more inappropriate scheme was recently approved (but has since expired). So, something will go up there eventually unless someone is prepared to buy the site at its current value and turn it into a park. You've highlighted all the issues and reached the conclusion that no development will be acceptable to neighbours. I don't know if that's nimbyism. But I do think it is unrealistic. What's proposed is not acceptable in its present form. But I think it is a major step in the right direction and the developer should be encouraged to go the extra mile to make it better.

On 9 Sep 2012 at 12:36pm Southover Queen wrote:
I wonder why the previous development didn't go ahead - could it be that it just wasn't economically viable? Lewes is better off than many places, in that the housing market is still active but this is quite a big development and my impression is that it's the older housing stock that's more popular. I can't help noticing that new build properties in the low to mid price bracket seem to stick around for longer.

I do heartily agree with Townie about pastiche architecture. A big part of the pleasure of Lewes is the eclectic mixture of styles and periods, but I'm not sure that future generations will look at a lot of the "mock Georgian" 1980s nonsense (for instance) with anything similar.

On 9 Sep 2012 at 4:17pm Clifford wrote:
John: While you're here, what has happened to the Lewes Community Land Trust? The last 'news' on the website is 'From 1st April 2011 the South Downs National Park Authority will take over responsibility for planning within its boundaries'.
On 10 Sep 2012 at 8:28am John Stockdale wrote:
SQ, I don't know for sure why the previous development didn't proceed. But, I guess it was because of the recession. When the planning permission ran out, the planning authority changed to the South Downs National Park, so reviving the original permission was probably not an option.
Clifford, now that the Phoenix estate has a new owner, Lewes Community Land Trust has been working with others behind the scenes. We have to consult our members before we can say anything in public. Yes, we must update the website. Thanks for the timely reminder. Do give me a call on 476151 if you want to speak to me about this - but not today as I'm going to watch the Olympic Parade in London

On 10 Sep 2012 at 10:23am Clifford wrote:
John: Thanks for your response.

26 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Sheep 79:132
Lewes Sheep

Talk about misappropriation! The Rockefeller report that TP referenced is available for all to read. It envisages future... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy