Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Maria Caulfield - Represent your constituency

On 29 Jun 2016 at 12:00pm Jeff wrote:
I call upon Maria 'I'm a nurse' Caulfield to represent her constituency who voted to remain in the EU to represent us rather than her own selfish stance.
Change.org Petition - call-on-maria-caulfield-to-vote-down-the-referendum

Check it out here »
On 29 Jun 2016 at 12:14pm Clifford wrote:
I'm sorry, Jeff, but you don't seem to understand the principle of a referendum. It's done on a national basis, not pick-and-choose parts of the country.
On 29 Jun 2016 at 12:51pm Zebedee wrote:
He's talking about the vote in parliament Clifford, a place where she is supposed to represent her constituency, Lewes, who voted to Remain.

Do you think there is any Tory politician stupid enough to push the exit button? I'm not sure May will and Johnson seems to have got cold feet. And Gove has done a weird disappearing act. I think Corbyn is the guy most likely to do it, but as the idiot Labour Party is currently destroying itself he's not likely to get a chance.
On 29 Jun 2016 at 12:51pm Cauliflower wrote:
Did you vote for her Jeff? If not, she's already not representing your views I'm afraid, why would she change now. If you did then you have nobody but yourself to blame for voting in a Tory and allowing them to hold the silly referendum in the first place.
On 29 Jun 2016 at 1:23pm Clifford wrote:
I think you misunderstand the role of an MP, Zebedee. They are there as a representative, not a delegate. You'd feel completely differently if the vote had gone the other way. Edmund Burke said it best:

'Parliament is not a congress of ambassadors from different and hostile interests; which interests each must maintain, as an agent and advocate, against other agents and advocates; but parliament is a deliberative assembly of one nation, with one interest, that of the whole; where, not local purposes, not local prejudices, ought to guide, but the general good, resulting from the general reason of the whole.'
On 29 Jun 2016 at 2:02pm Castle Gate wrote:
MPs' representation of their constituents' wishes over the referendum is complex because constituency boundaries are not always the same as district boundaries, which is how the referendum votes were counted. For example, Peacehaven is in Lewes district, but its parliamentary constituency is Brighton. Wealden district starts just the other side of Middle Farm on the A27 toward Eastbourne, but the border with Wealden parliamentary constituency begins north of Ripe. Accurate maps showing all these boundaries are available from the Ordnance Survey and are beloved by journalists and council bureaucrats.
Here are the figures.
Lewes voted 52.07% remain (30,974 votes), 47.93% leave (28,508 votes), turnout 59,482 (77.79%)
Wealden as a whole (only the southern part is in Lewes constituency) voted 45.5% remain (44,084), 54.5% leave (52,808 votes), turnout 96,892 (79.97%).
So the results are not directly comparable. But because the only parts of the Lewes constituency outside the boundary of Lewes district are the villages of Berwick, Alfriston, East Dean, and the town of Polegate, while Peacehaven does not belong in the constituency, and because the large population centres of Hailsham, Uckfield and Crowborough are in Wealden district but not in the Lewes constituency, I suggest that the referendum result for Lewes constituency, made up from the two districts whose votes were counted, was still REMAIN. Therefore, my belief is that the Honourable Member of Parliament for Lewes ought to give due weight to this interpretation of the results.
On 29 Jun 2016 at 2:16pm Exit Gate wrote:
Let's change the law to suit London, Brighton and Lewes.
On 29 Jun 2016 at 4:39pm Observer wrote:
"'Parliament is not a congress of ambassadors from different and hostile interests; which interests each must maintain, as an agent and advocate, against other agents and advocates; but parliament is a deliberative assembly of one nation, with one interest, that of the whole; where, not local purposes, not local prejudices, ought to guide, but the general good, resulting from the general reason of the whole.'"
That's a great quote in defence of representative democracy, Clifford. Representative democracy.
On 29 Jun 2016 at 5:22pm Fred Elliot wrote:
Rep I say representative democracy. And a rump parliament.
On 29 Jun 2016 at 10:33pm A Person wrote:
There is of course the possibility that even Caulfield might appreciate how every Remain voter (and probably quite a few Brexiteers) is watching the utter chaos which has resulted from the Leavers not having even the most rudimentary of plans for what to do next. I am amused that Cameron has managed to wrongfoot the whole shower so that assuming the leadership of the Tory party will now be to accept a very poisoned chalice.
On 30 Jun 2016 at 7:55am Another Person wrote:
Yup what are we going to do about Maria?,I'd prefer someone with a bit more of a clue.Without going into detail though a friend of mine was helped by her with a problem ,so I do think she has empathy.

On 30 Jun 2016 at 11:25am Clifford wrote:
Observer wrote: 'That's a great quote in defence of representative democracy, Clifford. Representative democracy.'

Goo of you to agree with Burke, Observer. 'Representative' means, of course, that the Member is in the Commons to express her or his view, not that of the constituents. If they are unhappy with the MP's performance they remove her or him at the next election.

25 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Infernal reflections 46:132
Infernal reflections

Well it looks as if I can jet off soon , none of the loud mouths with nothing behind them have anything to say, all piss and wind... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington