Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Major incident Southerham

On 7 Feb 2018 at 6:10pm Feline wrote:
There's been a major incident at Southerham roundabout. A27 backed up both ways.
On 7 Feb 2018 at 6:21pm Susan wrote:
Heard that a lorry went into the river !
Not sure about that, two people in speeding car ran off but have been apprehended.
On 7 Feb 2018 at 6:42pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
They've just said on the news that one of the cars had been pursued by police after it had been spotted speeding on the A23.
AA travel info shows the A27 backed up to the other side of Falmer eastbound and beyond Southerham westbound.
Mr C-T won't be home any time soon, by the look of it.
On 7 Feb 2018 at 6:59pm Steve wrote:
ACT - I'll be round in 5 mins.
On 7 Feb 2018 at 7:00pm Archie wrote:
No lorry in the river. A police chase ended when the suspects slammed into the back of the queue at Southerham. 3 undesirables arrested.
On 7 Feb 2018 at 7:08pm bald wrote:
7 vehicles involved apparently. Eastbound carriageway.
On 7 Feb 2018 at 8:24pm Feline wrote:
So these Police officers weren't buying donuts / in the canteen/ anything else derogatory about the police. What a suprise to those of you who denigrate them!
On 7 Feb 2018 at 8:39pm Tim wrote:
Ha Feline, you should read the story in the Argus. It is full of comments about the Police and how they caused this incident through failing to assess the risk of a high speed pursuit in the rush hour. I kid you not!
On 7 Feb 2018 at 9:29pm Feline wrote:
Everything the police does is high risk. That's their job, dealing with society's crap. That's why we have the police. Perhaps you need to become a Special and sort it all out as you quite clearly know so much about risk assessment in high risk situations. And what do you do for a living?
On 7 Feb 2018 at 9:33pm Bryony wrote:
Tim, why do you say "I kid you not" as though you can't believe that the Argus is making those comments?
They are valid comments! Why indeed were the police chasing criminals in a fast car at high speed on an extremely busy A road at rush hour?
Have there been any fatalities or seriously injured people?
What the hell were the police thinking?
On 7 Feb 2018 at 10:43pm Little Richard wrote:
Damned if they do , damned if they don't. One wonders Bryony what your response would be if you were the victim of these criminals exploits. Would you expect the police to do what they in fact did and chase them down? Or perhaps because of the time of day and traffic situation say to you that they were very sorry but they had to let them get away .These officers are trained pursuit drivers, the criminals will do anything to get away. You and society must choose how you want the police to react. You can't moan about them not doing their job one minute and then offer the same reaction when they do. Life is not always easy sometimes tough decisions have to be made to get the right result, as in this case. There are three unhappy villains now off the road thanks to the police.
On 7 Feb 2018 at 10:52pm Bryony wrote:
Had they been murderers, then yes I would accept that a risk had to be made to catch them.
But they'd stolen a car. Yes that is a crime. But a stolen car is not as valuable as the human lives that were put at risk by the police chasing the criminals at high speeds on the A27 at rush hour.
The risk of human life, of innocent people driving home, is not worth it for a stolen tonne of metal IMO.
I feel really angry about it and I think there should be an investigation into it.
On 7 Feb 2018 at 11:08pm Steve wrote:
If the police are so highly trained then how come several cars were written off and potentially people injured? Does that justify the macho responses we so often see from the police?
On 7 Feb 2018 at 11:20pm Ferret wrote:
I just read the Argus report. It seems they rammed a police car in Brighton so I guess they weren't just car thieves. Perhaps people should trust the police a little more instead of leaping in to criticise. They put their lives on the line for us.

Check it out here »
On 7 Feb 2018 at 11:21pm Bella wrote:
1 car and occupants detained versus 8 cars potentially written off (risking their owners livelihood) all to give a few coppers an exciting afternoon? As a tax payer I'm unconvinced.
On 8 Feb 2018 at 4:51am @Feline wrote:
So much hostility aimed randomly at people you don't know. Pmt?
On 8 Feb 2018 at 5:52am Rob wrote:
It's really funny reading people who believe they know all about what happened. What if the rumour about the car being stolen were completely false, and the people in the car just didn't want to have anything to do with the police? Maybe they had been victimised before? No wonder they ran into the river. It was probably for their lives. Police need a warrant before they enter your home, so why is a private car any different? I'm sure if the driver had been asked politely after an open court procedure, the situation would have been very different. But because the police decided a potentially innocent person was fair game, a horrific car crash has happened. Has anyone been killed? How do you know? What is the source of that information? How can you check it?
There is much, much more to this.
On 8 Feb 2018 at 6:44am @Rob wrote:
The police do NOT need a warrant, they only need probable cause. In other words if they see a crime being committed they can enter your home without a warrant. Same for your vehicle, no they cannot enter it for a driving offence (or make you leave it). Leaving the scene of a crash is a criminal offence.
On 8 Feb 2018 at 7:17am OMG wrote:
At which point are you going to discuss the actions of the driver being chased. They decided not to stop. They are the cause of the accident. The police were doing their job. Instead of giving them crap and demanding investigations (wasting taxpayers money) say thank you. I know other cars were damaged but that is the fault of the fleeing driver through their actions and poor reasoning. Innocent people donít run
On 8 Feb 2018 at 7:58am Feline wrote:
The car was stolen and triggered an ANPR camera. There will be an inquiry as there always is when something the police does goes wrong. @Feline, very amusing as I'm not female. What a pathetic specimen you must be to post something like that. No wonder so many women are fed up with men.
On 8 Feb 2018 at 8:34am @feline wrote:
Oh my bad I assumed you were a spinster. You're just a grumpy old wotsit then?
On 8 Feb 2018 at 8:45am Helicopter, 4 Bill cars, wrote:
and how many "officers" and 5 hours wasted on the worst road in the S.E. Oh,and several cars damaged and claiming on their insurance. Meanwhile back @ the local police stations......... Boys in blue and their toys.
On 8 Feb 2018 at 3:37pm Tom wrote:
Ah was wondering why the chopper was out last night
On 8 Feb 2018 at 4:16pm A C A B wrote:
So prove me wrong - the car was part of a drug crime ???. The arrested people were wanted ??? Known criminals ???
On 8 Feb 2018 at 10:21pm Little Richard wrote:
The car was stolen in London and was heading for Brighton. I guess then they must have just wanted a day out at the seaside and didn't want to catch a train.Maybe they were coming to Lewes to see the three drug dealers from London get sentenced I suspect some people on here are just anti police come what may. God help you need them at some point in your lives. With their toys of course. Unbelievable.

12 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Down the Pan 32:132
Down the Pan

I pay lots of subscription fees for various tv, film and music services....including the BBC....i can't recall ever feeling... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the way streets have street parties!!!!!!!
JoJo