Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

MY CHERRY STALL!!!

On 10 Jul 2008 at 6:31pm sharkbait wrote:
I have the cherry stall on the south chaily to Lewes road and have recently been told by an aggressive inforcement officer that my signs were unlawful and had to be taken down..this I have done and business has died..I tried pointing out that my 1mile signs were safer than customers breaking hard and without warning in front of the stall but was merely told by the man that he would not have me defying him on this issue! Most the locals I've spoken are in agreement with me..Its only another 3 weeks to go but I cant keep taking profil losses like this...any suggestions?

On 10 Jul 2008 at 6:46pm Dog In A Cape wrote:
How about one of those hot air balloon things with writing on the side? Or a light aircraft that can write stuff in the sky? Is it possible to set your sign a little way off the verge say the other side of a private fence? Make it big enough and pay in cherries?

On 10 Jul 2008 at 6:49pm sharkbait wrote:
problem is its ditches either side...the stalls been there 6 bloody years now and only 3 weeks left of the summer...some people really need to find better things to do with their time than trash harmless business

On 10 Jul 2008 at 7:05pm Cliffebimbo wrote:
They are still up outside of Uckfield so I would carry on!! When will you be there, I was looking for you last week.

On 10 Jul 2008 at 7:22pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
I can recommend the cherries from the stall in South Chailey - very yummy indeed and every one was in tip top condition. I seem to recall it was 3 for a lb, so good value too. Will probably call in and get some more tomorrow!
I'm sorry that you have had a rough time with the enforcement officers, I imagine they feel powerless in many areas of their work so compensate by being relatively rather heavy handed with easy prey such as yourself.

On 10 Jul 2008 at 9:18pm sashka wrote:
Isn't it funny how Council Offficers are so keen to attack everyone for 'breaking rules', but never offer a solution. Lewes is full of unauthorised advertising sandwich boards, yet it was only one about planning that was questioned! Your cherry sign is clearly not harming anyone, and isn't permenant.
There are 'temporary' yellow signs in lewes attached to lamp posts advertising the Nurseries properies for sale, so pressumably you can get permission for a sign.
I think that you can put a sign up for a limited time, without planning permisssion, but because your sign is on the highway/verge (?) this might be the problem.
There must be an answer, and people obviously want to buy your cherries, so why don't you ask the enforcement officer what the solution is, and also get the Sussex Express in on the story. At least some extra advertising about your stall (without a sign) may get you some extra customers to balance your loss.

On 10 Jul 2008 at 9:29pm The Tooth Fairy wrote:
I feel a campaign comming on SAVE SHARKBAITS CHERRY, or are we too late?
On 10 Jul 2008 at 11:15pm Dunk wrote:
Like Sashka just said, they are too quick to tell you somethings wrong and without a helpful solution. He must be really bored with his life to want to have to stamp on your business. I must confess that i havnt stopped in the layby but often drive by. Im sure many people are still aware of your being there, just wait till the sun shines bright again. What book have you been reading as I have often seen you escaping oneself in a hardback?!

On 11 Jul 2008 at 9:03am sashimi wrote:
sharkbait, I don't know the law on this and I'm not a lawyer, so treat this advice with a great deal of caution. But, whilst the enforcement officer can tell you to remove your sign, I don't think he can take it away himself without some sort of court order which is a lot of bother for him to get. So, why not just put the sign up again and refuse to take it down (like Jenny Mumford's Glenda Slagg poster). If he comes back and threatens you, whatever you do, don't be abusive. Ask to see his ID and make a note of his name. Then politely refuse to do anything until you have taken lega advice (from Citizens Advice). If he tries to take the sign say it's your property and you'll report him to the police.

On 11 Jul 2008 at 9:08am DAVE wrote:
Hi Sharkbait the council enforcement officer has to get a court order before they can remove the signs it will cost the council a fortune to remove them i'd stick with it and see what happens only 3 more weeks like you said

On 11 Jul 2008 at 10:12am Local wrote:
Sharkbait - the consensus seems to be just ignore them. Bill does. Good luck with your business.

On 11 Jul 2008 at 9:32pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
Stuffed another pound of cherries down my gullet today - yummy, yummy, yummy!
Sharkbait advised that cherry selling season ends in two weeks time and that, from next week, the cherries shall be on sale for 2.50 per lb. Bargain!
Cliffebimbo - stand is located on the left hand side when driving north on the Chailey Road (go through South Chailey)

25 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Keere Street 50:132
Keere Street

Good to hear.

Tempers have been flaring in town over the lack of diversity of choice of olive oil ;p

Would love to know... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the Walking to Mount Caburn at the weekend, Lounging about in Southover Grange Gardens eating strawberry ice cream in summertime, Proms in the Paddock, wicked night
A Kane