Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

MARRY CHRISTMAS !!!

On 3 Jan 2007 at 7:16am felician wrote:
Hi all!
Christmas Day falls on December 25. It is preceded by Christmas Eve on December 24, and in some countries is followed by Boxing Day on December 26. Some Eastern Orthodox Churches celebrate Christmas on January 7, which corresponds to December 25 on the Julian calendar. December 25 as a birthdate for Jesus is merely traditional, and is not thought to be his actual date of birth. Regards

On 3 Jan 2007 at 8:25am mick wrote:
And your point is?

On 3 Jan 2007 at 11:16am Janet Street Preacher wrote:
I don't give a monkeys which day I get my presents on as long as I get them.

On 3 Jan 2007 at 4:17pm I dont live in lewes anymore wrote:
I always though that 25th December was Father Christmas's Birfday.
PhilX

On 3 Jan 2007 at 8:10pm expat two wrote:
Originally, 'yule' celebrated the passing of mid-winter, spring was on its way. Early christians knew the 'pagans' wouldn't give up their midwinter festival so they hi-jacked it as the date to celebrate their famous jew, in the hope they might forget their own cultural history, for the most part, it worked.
Feasting and giving gifts at this time is something that goes back thousands of years. I don't think the attendant mindless consumerism is very far removed from that. Remember this the next time some creep moans about 'losing the real meaning of christmas'. It is lost, but it was the god botherers who stole it.

On 4 Jan 2007 at 5:02pm WAG wrote:
Marry it, for jesus'/pagans sake, I've been looking to divorce myself from it for years!

On 7 Jan 2007 at 8:22pm mc wrote:
Did the pagans get the date of midwinter wrong or did the Christians move the date of the celebrations?
MC

On 8 Jan 2007 at 12:36am expat two wrote:
The Roman midwinter festival 'Sol Invictus' ran for 3 days from solstice, ie 22nd - 25th dec. Christianity was invented in the Roman empire, so this was the festival they most likely wanted to hi-jack 1st.
Yule lasted as long as it took for the yule log to burn, which could take more than 10 days.
Most theologians agree that jebus was born sometime around april.

On 9 Jan 2007 at 3:45pm expat seven hundred and forty-eight wrote:
Don't see many yule logs these days. That would be a good tradition for Lewes to start, every year set light to an enormous log (people love cutting down huge beautiful old trees in Lewes) in the town square (where's that?) and people can gather round for 10 days and sing carols......

On 10 Jan 2007 at 4:31am expat two wrote:
Don't you think singing carols taints it with that christian edge again?
Other than that, I like the way you're thinking.

On 10 Jan 2007 at 7:58pm SHS wrote:
Ok we'll have one group singing carols and the other singing neolithic rebel songs. Trouble is LDC will probably demand a licence fee.... hang 'em all?

On 10 Jan 2007 at 11:07pm expat two wrote:
Even better.
Be careful SHS, certain members of society get charged with incitement to murder for calling for such measures.

25 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Brian_the_Snail_Lewes 14:132
Brian_the_Snail_Lewes

If the evidence about asymptomatic carriers is far from conclusive, that shouldn't automatically mean we can ditch the basic... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Believe you can or believe you can't... Either way you're right
Paul