Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Love ..and Cruise Missiles

On 20 Mar 2011 at 11:33am Newmania wrote:
You have to crack a few eggs to make an omelette and there is some awesome hardware headed Libya way . There is broad support for the action and I hope it is successful in saving lives and giving Libyans the space to decide their destiny.

Check it out here »

On 20 Mar 2011 at 1:51pm MC wrote:
Like Iraq saved lives?

On 20 Mar 2011 at 2:35pm wrote:
100 tomahawk cruise missiles at $1m each. What happened to the cuts?

On 20 Mar 2011 at 3:15pm War is the Answer wrote:
This is nothing to do with us, picking sides in a civil war again!!!

On 20 Mar 2011 at 4:42pm bastian wrote:
well I won't get a pay rise this year and now I know why

On 20 Mar 2011 at 5:33pm Cliffe Hanger wrote:
For what it's worth, I probably won't get one either Bastian. If you are looking for sympathy, then it may help if you could explain: where your work; why your pay is tied to UN Security Council resolution 1973; and most importantly why you deserve a pay rise.

On 20 Mar 2011 at 6:54pm steve watts wrote:
Beginning of the Norman conquest ?

On 20 Mar 2011 at 7:02pm 'ere be monsters wrote:
Oil is the answer.

On 20 Mar 2011 at 7:11pm Newmania wrote:
Libya accounts for around 2% of the world`s oil output. It is not about oil , it is about Liberal intervention . I think we are al aware of the limits it has but there is no need to be cynical to the extent of an EBM
Counting the cost of doing nothing will , thankfully be impossible now .

Check it out here »

On 20 Mar 2011 at 7:13pm Newmania wrote:
Good round up of other placess we might be here from the Fabian blog

Check it out here »

On 21 Mar 2011 at 5:57am Expat 2 wrote:
It sort of is about Oil. The Govt wants to be seen to be liberal interventionists bringing democracy to oppressed peoples of the world, but you won't see them stepping in in Saudi Arabia, Syria, Bahrain or The Yemen. Its important that oil producing countries have a stable government, even when that means backing oppressive dictatorships. Tokenism for PR.

On 21 Mar 2011 at 7:31am Newmania wrote:
It is important for everyone that there is stable government and where it is possible democracy provides that .Neither would it be good for anyone to damage the West`s economy . We are also not stepping into Cote d'Ivoire , Burma Zimbabwe etc. etc. what are you suggesting ?
None of the places 'you' mention are facing the imminenet slaughter Gaddafi was clearly intending neither is it obvious what we could do , from the air.

On 21 Mar 2011 at 1:34pm Clifford wrote:
Newmania wrote: 'You have to crack a few eggs to make an omelette...'

As people who are not going to suffer any injury at all are fond of saying. Armchair warriors, don't you just love them?

On 21 Mar 2011 at 3:33pm jrsussex wrote:
It is cherry picking. We were told a no fly zone was needed,now we have, among others, UK ships battering Libya. The UK, USA and the UN stood back whilst the genocide and other atrocities were carried out in Rwanda, the Congo and Zinbabwe. If we are to defend people then do it for alll, not just those countries from where we will gain. Many people are this morning questioning the situation as it develops.

On 21 Mar 2011 at 3:36pm Hoist wrote:
Tokenism for PR is about right expat 2 - however all those who think that we should be doing the same in Saudi (and I hate the regime absolutely) need to tell me where they get their oil from that they are able to have such strong moral principles. Or they should tell me how they manage without any. Certainly hope that they all cycle everywhere and never fly.
Anyway - as a PR exercise it seems to have totally backfired, with all the grauniad reading lefties who were calling for intervention a few days ago now changing their minds and the Arab league going all mimsy whimsey.

On 21 Mar 2011 at 4:29pm Newmania wrote:
As people who are not going to suffer any injury at all are fond of saying. Armchair warriors, don't you just love them?
Given the circumstances the do nothing brigade are probably more guilty of pontificating in comfort if anything.
JR Sussex the link I attached 19.13 has a good discussion of the point you raise

On 21 Mar 2011 at 5:02pm Clifford wrote:
My objection is not to what is happening, Newmania, but to the glee some people take in the deaths of others. There is such a thing as regrettable necessity.

On 22 Mar 2011 at 6:13pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I'd liek to know how we can afford it in these straitened times. Can't have books in the library, but they can find money for bombs in Libya. Plus they get more tax revenue from fuel duty as the price rises.

On 23 Mar 2011 at 12:40pm 'ere be monsters wrote:
Not sure why we should suddenly want rid of all these dictators at once immediately. We got rid of our despots, it's just it took centuries. What's the hurry?

On 23 Mar 2011 at 3:17pm allo allo wrote:
We the French are only over there looking for prime land cheap.

On 24 Mar 2011 at 11:25am 'ere be monsters wrote:
Prime land? Newhaven?????????? Nice one. I get your point.

16 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Keere Street Lewes 49:132
Keere Street Lewes

Ah but if they came on your land the owners would be trespassing. Cats are the worst offenders and seagulls, do they aim at cars? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The great thing about the Lewes Forum is it's up to date and lively, you don't have to wait a month to get out of date news
Clarissa