Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Little East Street into Eastgate - appalling junct

On 16 Aug 2009 at 10:29am Bob.T.Builder wrote:
How do us builders coming down Little East Street see if anything is coming from the left (ie. over the Causeway)?
It looks like a roundabout but isn't one as the traffic on the roundabout (ie Little East Street) have to give way to traffic coming onto the roundabout (ie. over the Causeway).
This is a dangerous junction and us locals need to get ESCC Highways to rethink this bit.
Discuss!

On 16 Aug 2009 at 10:39am Gavin wrote:
I spoke to Highways about this, they burbled on about the crossing at the end of the causeway confusing drivers if they were to alter the priority. No reported injury accidents = no need to change anything! Bollox I say!

On 16 Aug 2009 at 10:43am Not sure wrote:
exactly what you mean but if you are talking about the junction I think you are, you need to use your eyes to see if there is anything coming from the left, there are give way lines on the road and it doesn't look anything like a roundabout.
If you were new to the town I might understand your point but as a local you should be used to this. Can't see why it's dangerous to be honest?
If it really worries you why don't you just drive up to the Tesco's roundabout and come back over the causeway.

On 16 Aug 2009 at 11:08am Not_sure_youre_thick wrote:
Tell you what Not Sure, if everyone stayed at home then the problem would go away altogether.
I think Bog gave enuff pointers to where he meant. If you imagine driving a lorry or a van down Litte East St then you'd also realize that they have limited visibility to the left [side opposite the steering wheel] as they don't have back seats and rear windows.

I suggest you get down there on the way to the Docs and watch those in white vans and lorries struggling to get out of that junction. Aaaargh!
Gisseppe

On 16 Aug 2009 at 11:57am How rude wrote:
You are Giseppe! I drive down there every day and have done for years, I have never heard anyone complain about this before, you couldn't have a roundabout there, that would not make any sense at all. All of the 'white van' drivers I know manage okay, you just have to pull up at the right angle same as any junction. It's quite scary to think there are people driving these vans that obviously shouldn't be!
And for your info... I am not thick but I do believe I am allowed to have an opinion!!!

On 16 Aug 2009 at 12:02pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
You also have very good visibility as you come down Little East Street, so with a bit of forethought, you can see if you can go well in advance.

On 16 Aug 2009 at 12:43pm Rotund wrote:
It might help if some drivers - particularly lorry drivers - didn't thunder down Little East Street as if they were in a 70mph zone.

On 16 Aug 2009 at 12:44pm How_rude_youre_thick wrote:
Hmm - I don't think they were saying to have a roundabout there, just to make the priority's the same as a roundabout... give way to the right... so those in a van who have arrived at the junction can safely get onto Eastgate without having to straddle two lanes, strain across the front seats etc etc...
Those who are cynical should go and stand by the crossing on the Causeway and watch how vans and trucks struggle...
Acne-Boy

On 16 Aug 2009 at 1:08pm Dirk D wrote:
I have lived,driven lorries and vans in lewes all my life and I have never had a problem getting out of any junctions (even on to the A275 from the offham road). some people should learn to drive !!!!

On 16 Aug 2009 at 1:15pm bleeding_obvious wrote:
A good driver still cannot see through opaque sides of a van. Why is this junction different to every other junction in UK?

On 16 Aug 2009 at 7:22pm Dont see wrote:
Why you have such a problem with it, it really isn't that tricky... bless you!

On 16 Aug 2009 at 8:55pm Bob.T.Builder wrote:
I think I'll wait for some slightly more street-savvy drivers to read this thread as the comments so far don't reflect anything vaguely practical - Sunday Drivers maybe?

On 16 Aug 2009 at 9:21pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
There was talk of a roundabout there for when Charles Style's giant erection gets going as the increase in traffic would need managing.
At present I have no problem with the existing layout except that some people hog both lanes at the bottom and that damn flashing light that displays when you hit about 5mph.

On 17 Aug 2009 at 8:01am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
If it was that difficult, surely there would be a lot of accidents there?

On 17 Aug 2009 at 3:05pm Ed Can Do wrote:
I've nearly had a few accidents down Little East Street but they've all been because of people getting near the bottom and realising they're in the wrong lane and moving across suddenly without either looking or indicating. I find you can normally tell when the car in front is a tourist and about to have a sudden change of heart but there are still some surprises.

In fact, the only accident I ever saw there was a car coming down too fast in the rain, changing their mind about which lane they wanted and slamming into the street light on the island in the middle. About the only safety feature I'd add would be a sign showing where each lane goes slightly further round the corner to give people more chance to decide where they're going and even that'd be largely pointless. If a lorry driver is really striggling to pull out there, they could always hop out and press the pedestrian crossing button to give themselves a gap. Changing the priorities would be far more dangerous, weren't there about three crashes in a day when they changed them on the corner by the Police station? They certainly changed it back pretty quickly.

On 17 Aug 2009 at 4:30pm sashimi wrote:
None of this will get sorted out till what's going to happen to the Phoenix Industrial Estate and the bus station has been settled. There was going to be a roundabout by the bus statatuion so that buses could come out and go straight over the Phoenix Causeway instead of steaming up the High Street and going round the one way system. Also, as the Spinster says they have designed a junction with the Phoenix - but that needs to be funded by the developer.

On 17 Aug 2009 at 8:26pm gross_point_blank wrote:
"If a lorry driver is really striggling to pull out there, they could always hop out and press the pedestrian crossing button to give themselves a gap." - or they could change the priority to the same as a roundabout and make it work in the same way as everyone expects.
"Changing the priorities would be far more dangerous, weren't there about three crashes in a day when they changed them on the corner by the Police station? " - that was gross stupidity personified and nothing to do with priorities - the whole thing was poorly thought out - how can a road with a 90 degree bend be considered the through road. I hope the twot at highways who thought that up was fired. I guess they were probably promoted instead!

On 22 Aug 2009 at 10:52pm Bongo wrote:
The nuttiest junction ever (and definately designed by some moron who has never sat in a vehicle with restricted vision) has to be the new A27/Glynde junction. You definately need a passenger in your van if you follow the road markings out of Glynde, otherwise you just have to drive right into the path of traffic queueing into Glynde to be able to see the traffic coming down the A27 on your left. Take a look next time you drive out that way.

On 23 Aug 2009 at 9:53pm highwaysRcrap wrote:
Highways in ESCC really annoy me - they're so crap! Thanks for the further confirmation Bongo!

18 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Queen clown 99:132
Queen clown

What is it with some people?
With their kid's education at stake, this numpty thinks it's a good idea to ask complete strangers... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams