Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Lib Dims live up to their name - very dim !

On 13 May 2017 at 7:28am Ballot bodge wrote:
We have had an avalanche of Lib Dim comics through the letter box including a letter sent through the post addressed to my daughter from storming Norman. (despite promising us he had retired from politics at the last general election).
Message to Lib Dims - Trying to get someone to vote Lib Dim at the General Election when they are only just 17 is just moronic. If you can't be *rsed to check peoples eligibilty to vote before sending them your comics it seems to hint that your getting a bit desperate......
On 13 May 2017 at 8:21am Billy wrote:
Its the cannabis.
On 13 May 2017 at 8:58am Sensible wrote:
Liberal Democrats now predicted to lose to the Conservative Party in this constituency by over 7,200 votes. As far as we're concerned, the contest is won. Like those born after 1978, an entire generation will be bought up knowing nothing but a Conservative establishment, and the most meritorious will surely thrive. The opposition vote is clearly split and without direction, like the opposing parties themselves. It takes a special kind of political irrelevance to lose so badly in a constituency the size of Lewes.
On 13 May 2017 at 10:15am Chester Packov-Lyze wrote:
@Sensible - would you like to provide any evidence for your prediction ?
On 13 May 2017 at 2:41pm Tim wrote:
Maria to win by a landslide. 5 more years at least !
On 13 May 2017 at 4:24pm Rods Tiger wrote:
@Sensible and Tim - Did you not bother to look at the results of the recent County Council election ? Particularly for those wards which make up the Lewes Constituency. Lib Dems returned in every case.
Who made your prediction ?
On 13 May 2017 at 4:47pm Pedro wrote:
UKIP's decision to not contest Lewes is a bit concerning, as I would imagine over 50% of these votes would go to the tories. Not sure whether the other 50% will bother voting at all, as I certainly can't see many of them voting Liberal Democrats given their strong opposition to Brexit.
On 13 May 2017 at 5:09pm Cocktail Sausage wrote:
Green's decision to not contest Lewes is a bit concerning, as I would imagine over 50% of these votes would go to the lib dims. Not sure whether the other 50% will bother voting at all, as I certainly can't see many of them voting labour given their ineffective opposition to Brexit.
On 13 May 2017 at 5:31pm Voter wrote:
@Rods Tiger - in Lewes District there were the same number of conservatives as Lib Dems elected (with one independent). Lewes town may be very liberal but the rest of the district aren't. Tory's will take the UKIP vote and Lib Dems will gain from the greens not standing - and probably many labour voters voting tactically. It's hard to predict the outcome and a lot of it will depend on how many people (of which persuasion) choose to stay at home.
On 13 May 2017 at 5:36pm Pedro wrote:
Actually, I can see many green voters voting for Labour in Lewes, where as I can't see many UKIP voters voting for Lib Dem given the position on the EU (who votes for UKIP beyond the EU issue anyway?). This is the whole problem, that the Liberal Democrats have an uphill battle now that UKIP has stepped aside (and effectively in tacit support of the tories), especially considering they were the 3rd biggest party in Lewes in 2015.

Its a pity that a genuine progressive alliance is not properly in action here. Labour needed to step aside along with the Greens as those 7,500 votes (from 2015) would have been so crucial to the Lib Dems winning Lewes - and ultimately, stopping the tories should be the main priority given the electoral system we have in place (even at the cost of less democratic choice).
On 13 May 2017 at 8:43pm Newms wrote:
I will be there if anyone wants to say hallo
I would like to ask Maria Caulfield something like this
“Maria , you closely associated yourself with a referendum campaign which employed relentless anti-immigrant propaganda and dog whistle racism. Prior to this referendum you wrote a piece in which you linked high housing costs with immigration.
In fact the increase in aggregate demand for housing caused by immigration is a tiny factor in the equation . Can you explain why you chose to blame immigrants for one of the social evils of our age and would not agree that spreading this sort of incendiary lie was an inexcusable act for any politician …”

And plenty more ……..
On 13 May 2017 at 9:43pm Weirdo alert wrote:
I hope she reports your attire for offending public decency
On 13 May 2017 at 11:17pm Hooky wrote:
You might have to wake her up after your droning, you tedious twot.
On 14 May 2017 at 10:36am Zebedee 2 wrote:
I'm almost certain that practically all the Greens will vote for the Lib Dems, if only for their stance on Brexit, but most certainly because they are the best bet to rid the area of the Tories (and I'm a Green).
It's pretty certain that the Tories will hoover up most of the UKIP votes too. The big wobbly is Labour. They should do what the Greens did and not stand a candidate. If they didn't then there's a good chance the Lib Dem candidate would be returned. As it is, if Labour stand a candidate he is likely to do quite badly because very few people who vote Labour here want Brexit and will, given a half decent candidate would vote Lib Dem. Labour are damned if they do and damned of they don't. They should do the honourable thing and not field a candidate, and then they'll be less damned and still retain some honour.
On 15 May 2017 at 9:25am Citizen Smith wrote:
I urge all true Labour supporters to vote Labour on June the 8th. in a show of solidarity. We are going to get another Tory government anyway, so one more seat won't make any difference. Don't throw your vote away on the LibDim posers- we must make sure that our man gets enough votes in order not to lose his deposit.

22 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Closet and Botts 29:132
Closet and Botts

Lewes Priory Cricket Club (LPCC) is based at the Stanley Turner Ground, Kingston Road, Lewes (i.e. next to the rugby club). ... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell