Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Lewes parking the most expensive place in the UK!

On 23 Sep 2016 at 1:30pm GiveUpOnParking wrote:
Having just had a bill for supposed parking in Eastgate Wharf at £500/hour, I wondered if anyone knew of a more expensive place to park in the whole of the UK - if not the world?

Check it out here »
On 23 Sep 2016 at 1:58pm Slarty wrote:
Were you parked illegally? If so, it is called a fine and not a bill.
On 23 Sep 2016 at 2:18pm Ed Can Do wrote:
It's private land isn't it? The only crime you could commit by parking there would be trespass and you have to get arrested to get fined. What he's received is an invoice and one for a sum completely at odds with the cost of providing the service. As such it's entirely unenforceable and should either be ignored or forwarded to trading standards.
On 23 Sep 2016 at 3:02pm Bored wrote:
Yawn - not this again!
On 23 Sep 2016 at 3:03pm Slarty wrote:
You have to be arrested? I though trespass was a civil offence, not criminal - why is an arrest needed?
Trespass consists of any unjustifiable intrusion by a person upon the land in possession of another. Perhaps we should all take up just parking on anyone's front garden or driveway if we feel like it.

On 23 Sep 2016 at 3:31pm Ed Can Do wrote:
Is trespass a civil offence? I didn't know that, every day's a school day eh?

Still, if someone did start parking in your driveway and you went and handed them a "Fine" for £500, no matter what signage you had up it'd be completely unenforceable without a trip to some form of arbitration first. More likely you could potentially get a civil behaviour order or whatever they call them now to tell the person to stop parking on your drive, you'd be extremely unlikely to get any cash out of it.

In short, ignore silly tickets like these.
On 23 Sep 2016 at 4:12pm Landporter wrote:
With the exception of some kinds of poaching, trespass is a civil offence and you cannot be arrested for it.
On 23 Sep 2016 at 4:20pm Stranger Danger wrote:
Yes it's a civil notice, steep invoice, seek advice from CAB as to how best progress. Although it's a civil offence worse case scenario is that you could get bailiffs around, or your car impounded, or a bad credit scoring. It's an Excessive bill, seek advice and work out a strategy, don't just ignore it as it could get problematic later.
On 23 Sep 2016 at 4:26pm Been there, done that! wrote:
This happened to me, I passed it across to Norman Baker who fought our corner. It is nothing more than a con . Try Maria Caulfield!!
On 23 Sep 2016 at 5:38pm GiveUpOnParking wrote:
Having looked into some of the issues mentioned here, I can report back that trespass has nothing to do with it, as public access, both foot and vehicle. There is clear access to the car park by the river, and anyone can walk everywhere - even in the road.
This is a civil matter - agreed.
Even so - I just wondered if anyone knew a more expensive place. For instance, the highest charge I found was £50 per hour in central London - a full £20 more that a statuary parking fine.
On 23 Sep 2016 at 8:53pm Zebedee wrote:
I've ignored all non-LDC parking tickets... and never had a problem. Once you refuse to pay they seem to give up. LDC are a bit tougher but so far all tribunals have gone my way.

On 23 Sep 2016 at 10:49pm Actually... wrote:
First trespass is "trespassing", if you're then asked to leave and don't it's "agrevated traspass" and if you ignore a further request it's "criminal trespassing" and is an arrestable offence.

On 26 Sep 2016 at 12:32pm GiveUpOnParking wrote:
I've just sent them a letter asking for the video and all other electronic information they have about me and my car - as per the draft letter available form the information commissioners office. They have 40 days to comply... .
I wonder if they will?

Check it out here »

On 26 Sep 2016 at 7:44pm I park where I like wrote:
This firm has been around a long time. As so, they have probably seen and heard every excuse known to man as to why you shouldn't pay and have an answer or 2 to every one of them. For peace of mind, pay the early charge, put it down to experience and don't park there again.
On 26 Sep 2016 at 10:34pm Just ignore wrote:
It is such a trap - they are looking for people to just give in and pay. Do not engage with them, that would be my advice.

22 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Castle view 19:132
Castle view

Thanks, Stevied. You’re right, They are the best fields and pretty secure, (save for the gate at the top.) She’s on heat at... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like The Grange Gardens, and the way the teashop has the most odd mixture of china from the charity shops
Jojo