Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Lewes Leisure Centre

On 12 Jan 2010 at 10:24am Kathy T wrote:
How can Elsinaw and Head Banger be so thoughtless. From their comments I would have to question whether they have any children, if so what is their parenting level. From my experience of local councils they are often very slow in repairs and normally wait for an incident before they readily spend any cash. The mother whose child fell from the mat should seek legal advice ... there is a claim to be had here. My advice would be to search out the local councillor responsible for leisure facilities and raise the issue with them. Either way the local paper should be made aware of the story .... the local council will not relish the publicity. Good luck.

On 12 Jan 2010 at 10:37am Taff wrote:
I wonder what straps the parents use at home?
Just because there should have been straps does not mean they should be trusted to be in good condition or adequate. Parents should still remain alert with young uns.
No wonder we get closer to 'libel' society when responsibility seems to diminish once one steps onto someone elses property.
Children are ultimatly the responsibility of the parents, full stop.
I bet they hold the child whilst in the pool, or do they totally rely on the waterwings?

On 12 Jan 2010 at 11:11am ere be monsters wrote:
K T says, "there's a claim to be had here" sums up the mentality. I'm with you Taff 100%. Parents, look after your kids.

On 12 Jan 2010 at 11:33am Olly wrote:
Totally agree with Taff and ere be monsters! Trotty's post was raising a valid point and the leisure centre needs to be aware of this. But parents should be repsonsible for their children, FACT, and realise that we live in an imperfect world with mistakes made by imperfect humans, and not cry "compensation" or go crying to the papers etc whenever anything happens. And I say this as a parent of 2 children under 5.

On 12 Jan 2010 at 11:56am No Pot Pourri wrote:
No harm came to the baby therefore no possibility of a claim. As Brixtonbelle suggests, far safer to change baby on a mat on the floor.

On 12 Jan 2010 at 12:28pm A Parent wrote:
Well said Taff.
Parents are responsible for their children at all times and as such they should ensure that they don't put them in dangerous situations. Why did the parent in question use the change table if the strap was not in good working order? Would she leave her baby on the kitchen worktop at home without a strap, I doubt it, so why do so at the leisure centre?
Kathy T, You should be ashamed of yourself for the "there is a claim here" comment. It's people like you that are ruining this country.

On 12 Jan 2010 at 12:31pm Alchemist wrote:
You are all a bunch of sanctimonious, know-alls....i think...i think...i think...etc etc

On 12 Jan 2010 at 1:04pm Taff wrote:
Sanctimonious........I think not, experienced..............very. 3 adult daughters and 3 grandchildren.
What can you make from that Alchemist?

On 12 Jan 2010 at 1:18pm ere be monsters wrote:
Is he trying to turn the situation into gold like Kathy T?

On 12 Jan 2010 at 1:20pm Head shaker wrote:
As I said, 'Stupid cow' I stand by my statement

On 12 Jan 2010 at 1:30pm Another Parent wrote:
I agree with Ere be Monsters and Taff. Would you put your child in the swimming pool with punctured arm bands on? No, because it would clearly be dangerous, so why would you think it OK to put them on a changing table with no/broken straps? In the same way that you would make sure your child used inflated arm bands, surely you would make sure your child could not possibly fall of a changing table? This is an unfortunate incident, and I am not defending the Leisure Centre for the condition of the changing tables, but whatever happened to common sense? I am not judging the parent in this incident either, but in many cases (as we have read) common sense is obscured by the pound signs in peoples eyes.

On 12 Jan 2010 at 5:26pm Lewes parent wrote:
"Another parent" I totally agree with everything you've said.

On 12 Jan 2010 at 8:07pm Careful shopper wrote:
I was going to ignore this topic as some people are getting worked into a state when everybody's right. The Leisure centre should repair the tables, and parents should be careful with their children. It's not either/or. But Another Parent, are you suggesting that parents are deliberately ignoring common sense to allow their babies to drop 4 feet onto hard floors in the hopes of claiming compensation? Surely there are better ways to make money! The thing is, frazzled parents do stupid or unthinking things sometimes, like using a changing table without a strap because it's there and the floor is wet or whatever. It's called being human and making mistakes. And a few unlucky ones don't get away with it.

On 12 Jan 2010 at 10:32pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
What did parents do before changing tables were invented/ provided. Er, they used the floor. There is a whole child product industry most of which is totally unnecessary to having a child. To me a changing table four feet above the floor, hard or otherwise, is unsafe, whether it has straps or not. A wriggling child will get out of such restraints and parents just should not trust them. That said, if the leisure centre provides them then parents have a reasonable expectation that they should be fit for use, but they obviously can't be used without supervision and parents should be watching their kids in them at all times. I'm sorry for the parents of the baby who fell, but it was an accident and they shouldn't be following the advice to pursue a claim.

On 13 Jan 2010 at 11:52am Chinese whispers wrote:
It's amazing, when this thread started it was 3ft that the poor baby fell, It's now jumped to 4ft. By the time this thread ends im sure it will be 30ft !! Hope baby is fine.

On 13 Jan 2010 at 12:10pm Another Parent wrote:
Careful Shopper, if you read my post again you will see that of course I am not suggesting that the parents in this instance deliberately allowed their child to fall so that they could make a claim. I do not know the reasons why they made that decision. My comment about pound signs in peoples eyes relates to other people that have posted on this thread whose first thpught s are claim, claim, claim. I am just saying that maybe a bit of common sense would have prevented the accident. The floor was wet has been offered as a reason why the dangerous changing table was used. So what if it was wet, the swimming pool is wet but that didn't stop them using it did it ? Would you leave a baby unsecured on a narrow 3" high worktop whilst you were working in the kitchen?, I wouldn't think so no matter how 'frazzled' you were. Meantime, for whatever reason it happened I hope the child and parents are OK and that the straps are now fixed properly.

On 13 Jan 2010 at 2:20pm ere be monsters wrote:
Strange thing about it all is we've not heard anything from the mother in question. This has all been based on hearsay, mother might even think we're making a right fuss, you never know.

On 13 Jan 2010 at 6:15pm Trotty wrote:
You are all making a big fuss, remember my original post was not about claims or finger pointing to the mother or the leisure centre, just a friendly warning to help prevent another baby falling off a mat whatever the situation!!

On 13 Jan 2010 at 6:34pm ere be monsters wrote:
Most of posts recognise that yours was a reasonable and well meant post, it was several of the following posts that lost the plot and needed to be encouraged to actually look at what they were saying. Let us know if they've been fixed.

On 13 Jan 2010 at 7:13pm Chinese whispers wrote:
I would ignore the negative comments Trotty. You made a valuable statement about the safety of the baby mats and was trying to warn people. If they dont want to take note then it's their loss. It happens like that on here with some of the users. Rise above it your better than them.

17 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

The Pells 131:143
The Pells

Examining the activity of the sun and assessing its influence on the earth's climate may well provide entertainment to some Tom... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine