Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Lewes Hero

On 19 Mar 2018 at 8:22am The people wrote:
Such sad news to read of death of young lady fighting to help the oppressed Kurdish people. RIP.
On 19 Mar 2018 at 8:29am Earl of Lewess wrote:
Agreed. Anna Campbell put her life on the line, fighting for a worthy cause. The Kurds are a beacon of hope in that troubled region, respecting women's rights and rejecting Islamism. If only our government could follow her example.
On 19 Mar 2018 at 9:52am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
She sounds like an amazing young woman.
So sad for her family.
On 19 Mar 2018 at 3:45pm On the other hand... wrote:
'In general, Kurdish women's rights and equality have improved in the 20th and 21st century due to progressive movements within Kurdish society. However, despite the progress, Kurdish and international women's rights organizations still report problems related to gender equality, forced marriages, honor killings and in Iraqi Kurdistan also female genital mutilation (FGM). In 1930s, Bedirkhan brothers (Kamuran Ali and Celadet) have promoted the myth of the uniqueness of Kurdish women and claimed that Kurdish women enjoy more freedom compared with Arab, Persian and Turkish women. A discredited myth was later propagated by other Kurdish nationalists, as well as some Western observers and activists.'
Not that this detracts from this young woman's courage in fighting for what she believed.
On 20 Mar 2018 at 9:16am Really? wrote:
Ok let’s just assess the facts
A white principled middle class woman with no military training travels to one of the most dangerous places on earth to engage as a front line mercenary
against a battle hardened Turkish army
Hmmmmm…
And tragic ending but oh so predictable
On 20 Mar 2018 at 9:32am Fred wrote:
@anti commie, and according to the BBC, that is exactly what Lewes stands for. I despair.
On 20 Mar 2018 at 10:07am confused wrote:
It would seem posts have gone missing?
Censorship again?
On 20 Mar 2018 at 10:22am Local Resident wrote:
Yep more censorship noted. Why? People are only expressing an opinion which is (was!) just as valid as those that support her actions.
Unless someone added something after I read it, there was nothing defamatory in the thread, merely people expressing opinions that the woman concerned perhaps lacked true understanding of the situation she was joining, and others expressing legitimate (IMHO) concerns that some people seem to have double standards in that they supported her actions of going off to fight overseas, yet would no doubt be very unhappy about foreigners coming to UK to 'fight' for what those foreigners saw as oppressed minorities over here.
In essence, when does bearing arms and fighting for a 'cause' in another country cross the line and become unacceptable terrorism?
What some people see as fighting for a legitimate cause, others may see as terrorism - all depends on the viewers beliefs and 'world view'....
On 20 Mar 2018 at 11:01am another resident wrote:
It seems there are a lot of hypocrits in this town who are anti guns in america yet idolise this girl for travelling out to not care or heal but to kill humans who have not threatened her.
On 20 Mar 2018 at 11:44am anti commy wrote:
hypocrits and illiterati.
On 20 Mar 2018 at 11:48am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
@ another resident: Your comparison is deeply flawed. The Kurds are oppressed in many countries in Middle East, including EU wannabes, Turkey.
In Syria, they are caught between a rock and a hard place; between being oppressed by the Assad regime or by Isis. The Kurds there are fighting for democracy and for basic human rights.
Those in favour of unrestricted gun use in the US just want to fight anyone they don't like the look of.
I daresay I will be accused by some of moral relativism, but I prefer to think of it as sound judgment to respect those who fight against brutal regimes.
On 20 Mar 2018 at 12:12pm ggrrr wrote:
Is it ok to kill if not in self defense?
On 20 Mar 2018 at 1:01pm rrripppp wrote:
Is it OK to use American spelling ?
On 20 Mar 2018 at 6:57pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
@ggrrr:
I think it can be. I wouldn't condemn those British people who went to fight in the Spanish civil war, for example. And the UK wasn't being attacked when war was declared in 1939, but I wouldn't say it was the wrong thing to do.
On 21 Mar 2018 at 6:01pm Grumbleweed wrote:
Civilian going into a war torn region, concluding with an entirely predictable outcome.
On 21 Mar 2018 at 6:13pm Pseudo wrote:
Hero ???

21 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Arms Penny 56:132
Lewes Arms Penny

@Basil Sorry Basil, but you are mistaken. There is absolutely nothing wrong with 'in regards', and its use doesn't signify... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the Walking to Mount Caburn at the weekend, Lounging about in Southover Grange Gardens eating strawberry ice cream in summertime, Proms in the Paddock, wicked night
A Kane