Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Lewes Farmers Market

On 27 Jun 2015 at 11:24pm Lady of the Oxeye wrote:
The farmers market is under threat of closure.
For me, the market is one of the best things about Lewes. It's only twice a month, but a decline in sales is a decline in sales. I wonder if it could be relocated somewhere that's still central: although I can't think where; and I'm sure the market traders themselves would see a significant drop in sales if they were positioned anywhere else other than where they are now.
There are so many foodies amongst us, it would be very disappointing to lose this wonderful market.

Check it out here »
On 28 Jun 2015 at 7:51am lewes resident wrote:
The Market as it is in my opinion is a "rip off". A proper market normally sells things cheaper than in the shops. i.e. why would you buy a jar of honey in the Farmers Market when you can buy the same product in the local butcher's for 2 pounds less.Why buy "croissants" from the Market when you can buy the same croissants in a local shop for less money. Not me.

On 28 Jun 2015 at 8:34am bastian wrote:
The food is over priced and it reflects in the drop in trade. £3.50 for a scotch egg is mad!
It also bosses other traders about and some of us can remember when Lewes had a real market, cattle and goods.
On 28 Jun 2015 at 9:12am Mavis wrote:
Coffee being smelt, me thinks !
On 28 Jun 2015 at 10:35am trooper wrote:
Just a thought "" FARMERS"" market. !!!

On 28 Jun 2015 at 10:56am Harvey wrote:
How about Harveys Yard...I'm sure they would consider it.
On 28 Jun 2015 at 12:56pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Harvey's Yard would be a great site for a market.
In the linked article, it seems that shopkeepers are complaining of a loss in trade because their frontages are obscured are obscured by the stalls. Tbh, apart from New Look and M & Co, I can't think of any shops along there that someone might pop into and make an impulse buy on the basis of something they've seen in the window.
On 28 Jun 2015 at 12:59pm Country Boy wrote:
..........following complaints from local retailers!
On 28 Jun 2015 at 1:02pm Local wrote:
Yet another 'non-story'. If the market leaves town, I'll call myself Dutch and eat my hat.
On 28 Jun 2015 at 11:00pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
I think this Armstrong and Miller song perfectly sums up farmers' markets:

Watch the video »

On 28 Jun 2015 at 11:30pm Local wrote:
Spot on!
On 29 Jun 2015 at 8:27am Annabel Frost wrote:
I totally appreciate that the farmers market is not for everyone, but it very popular with others. It brings people into the town who spend money in other shops & cafes too. The stalls are all local businesses & farms, who would lose valuable income if it were to close.
It may not be somewhere that everyone can afford to shop but surely we should be supporting the choice.
I have a vested interest as I have a stall, without the market (& the Friday Food Market) my business would probably fail.
I think it is a shame that large companies, who claim they lose some income, can effect the small local companies who may go out of business.
On 29 Jun 2015 at 1:24pm belladonna wrote:
The high Street shops need to provide concrete PROOF that their sales have been directly affected by the bi-monthly markets. Facts and figures. Cause, correlation etc.
Harveys yard would be an excellent site for the farmers market. Or the NCP behind Waitrose, or the car park at the end of Cliffe by St Thomas Church. Lots of solutions if the precinct can;t be used.
On 29 Jun 2015 at 3:12pm curmudgeon wrote:
good riddance, makes town unbearable every other weekend as hordes of DFLs swarm towards free-range ethically-sourced gluten-free hemp burgers or whatever it is they sell there these days. i have zero sympathy for the huge corporations complaining about their miniscule loss in trade but i do find it massively overcrowds the high street and very rarely seems to contain any actual farmers, instead its all bespoke tea towel makers and suchlike. by all means continue this travesty elsewhere in lewes but some of us like to venture into town for a newspaper without being elbowed in the face during a riot for the last piece of purple sprouting broccoli.
On 29 Jun 2015 at 3:27pm Curious wrote:
Why don't all the saturday morning traders come together to rent one of the shops all year and sell their goods that way? They could set up a rota so that they don't have to be there all week.
On 29 Jun 2015 at 3:49pm trooper wrote:
@ E of Lewes, I have just viewed the video you mentioned,very funny and very much to the point. Thankyou.
On 29 Jun 2015 at 5:29pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I agree that an awful lot of the stuff on sale is overpriced and I don't buy stuff there, but I quite like the sociable feel of the market on a Saturday. I don't find it hinders my shopping at all.

On 29 Jun 2015 at 5:33pm Another Local wrote:
I'll do the same but eat my cap
On 29 Jun 2015 at 6:44pm the facts wrote:
The Farmers Market is loved by naive types. Very rarely is an actual farmer in sight because they're grafting on their farm.
The stall holders don't pay any business rates or rent. No minimum wage, no insurance. Yet they often charge more than the shops. It's mostly cash in hand so don't pay any tax.
If you genuinely want to support local businesses, local shops & the local high street avoid the 'farmers' markets.
On 30 Jun 2015 at 1:02am k wrote:
There appears to be two arguments in play here, one that the Farmers Market is bad because itís a rip off, and one that says its bad because shopkeepers are losing money.
Both of these arguments are negated by applying the Occamís razor of Ďfree marketí economics.
Overpriced goods donít sell. A market stall holder will soon give up if nobody buys their produce. Donít waste your energy worrying over failing businesses.
The shop owners should drop prices to meet their market - protecting their interests is tacit manipulation of the economy which prevents us getting the goods or services we want at a price we want. Itís the formal stifling of competition. If people really prefer a shop, with a bell on the door, a counter, a till and a man in an apron to serve them, theyíll continue to patronise shops over market stalls. If shopkeepers are losing business, its because consumers donít want that facility.
Do we want to live in a free market economy or not?
I wouldnít mind betting itís the free market economy fans who most despise the idea of Ďdinosaurí shops losing their market share to a cheaper, preferred supply chain.
On 30 Jun 2015 at 6:04am townie wrote:
The farmers market is so "Lewes". Overpriced rubbish and frequented by Toby and Jemima with their children Sebastian and Pippa.
However, i love walking through it, it's always vibrant and always end up bumping into friends and going for a coffee.

On 30 Jun 2015 at 9:17am Metatron wrote:
Thanks E of Lewes nearly pi**ed myself with laughter. Middle Farm is just down the road.
On 30 Jun 2015 at 10:00am Qwerty wrote:
You're all jumping a bit on the stereotype bandwagon. There are quite a few stalls that sell overpriced tat, but there are local farmers too. On the right hand side facing Cliffe there's always the van staffed by the farmers from up Plumpton way selling stuff from their own land, for example. And the two vegetable stalls are quite good - including Barcombe Nurseries.
On 30 Jun 2015 at 12:12pm Farmer Palmer wrote:
@EofL Very Good!
Can I just add antique shops to the list too

Watch the video »

On 30 Jun 2015 at 12:49pm Humbert wrote:
I also won't be sorry to see the market go. Lewes is in dire need of shopping that creates long term vibrancy for all in town and real benefit to the people who live and work both here and in the surrounding area, not something of niche affordability that perpetuates the impression we are a twee town for the wealthy to play at living in the country.

For a decent farmers market go somewhere rural and non-wealthy and you can see the real advantages it brings to farmers and the community alike. There's absolutely no reason why the same couldn't happen in Lewes. Not everything here has to be boutique and expensive for it to be viable.

On 30 Jun 2015 at 1:07pm somewhere over the wrote:
rainbow ? No go to Hailsham where the actual farmers bought out the market as a consortium. Lewes will forever be more twee than Berwick on tweed

On 30 Jun 2015 at 6:41pm Working class and real. wrote:
Sorry to say it Farmer Palmer but this is more the reality of Lewes than you think. when rustic artisan and distressed are the terms used to describe everyday objects than the balance of reality may be lost.

On 1 Jul 2015 at 3:40pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
@Farmer Palmer - Yes, I love those sketches - more than a grain of truth in them.

9 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Buskers in Lewes 17:132
Buskers in Lewes

Eddi: Amazon delivered your parcels to us today Ė you've got the wrong address in your account.

Please let me know what you... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams