Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Lewes Estate Agents?

On 13 Mar 2011 at 5:26pm SugarViolet wrote:
I know this has been discussed in previous threads, but not for a little while... Currently on with Lewes Estates since Jan and not a sniff of interest... Our 16 week tie-in runs until May. If they don't manage to shift it, WHO the heck do we go for? Or not at all, is it worth just putting our own For Sale sign up? I've visited all the agents and am not happy with any of them. Advice please.

On 13 Mar 2011 at 5:40pm newRooksFan wrote:
16 weeks is outrageous! The last two agents I used had a 7 days notice period (albeit not in Lewes).
Sounds overpriced if no-one's viewing it.
Gorringes seem to me the most human of the lot. Seems that Wycherley's like to keep their window full of yellowing details, for sure.

On 13 Mar 2011 at 6:46pm MC wrote:
Rowland and Gorringe or Cubitt and West. For best price on posh house the hateful Snott and Parker

On 13 Mar 2011 at 6:55pm SugarViolet wrote:
Who only ties you in for 7 days notice then?
We might be overpriced, although we are on for the average of 3 valuations and chose to ignore the top valuation and not get overexcited. Have decided not to reduce price until after Easter weekend. Apparently most people still don't start looking until then.
All the agents say is 'ooh we are sooo busy' but I suspect that they are lying and the Market is still really slow. Some of the houses we have our eye on haven't shifted since last November.
On 13 Mar 2011 at 8:08pm newRooksFan wrote:
I don't know if any Lewes agents offer the 7 days period, but plenty do in London, and Hastings, and the Midlands too.
If you want to sell it, reduce the price now as interest rates will almost certainly be higher by Easter!

On 14 Mar 2011 at 3:11am grrrlpower wrote:
We spent two years looking in Lewes and came to the conclusion that most places are overpriced vastly. On two occasions we found decent properties at good prices and they didn't hang around - both sold within a couple of days. If you put your house on at the right price (and remember Lewes estates over value by about 100k ijn the mid price range), IT WILL SELL. Your house is only worth what someone will pay for it and Lewes is pretty overpriced at the moment. Best agents are Gorringes and Cubitt and West. Interest rates may rise but have just been held at 0.5 again so unlikely.
There are some houses on the market in Lewes that have been on right move/ prime location for nearly 2 years !

On 14 Mar 2011 at 3:08pm Depressed Mum wrote:
I have my house on with LE and things are very slow at the moment..other houses near me priced the same by other agents. I think LE are as good as anyone else..the market is very slow at the moment for most houses unless they need doing up and are cheap..

On 14 Mar 2011 at 3:25pm newRooksFan wrote:
Not sure it's that slow. Several places that've been on for 6 months or so have sold since Jan, at all price points...

On 15 Mar 2011 at 1:54am grrrlpower wrote:
LE are also liars and scumbags into the bargain. We vowed not to use them as buyers because they twice told us blatant lies about properties we were offering on - in one case in the hearing of the owner who immediately contradicted the agent. They also tried to create a false bidding war to up the price. This was not just our experience but also the experience of several other friends who tried to buy through them, and a couple who actually did, but have vowed never to have any contact with them again. They truly are appalling.

On 15 Mar 2011 at 6:18am Deelite wrote:
They created a fake bidding war for us too. It appearss to be common practice for Lewes Estates.

On 15 Mar 2011 at 7:51am SugarViolet wrote:
Hmmm thanks for feedback re LE, unfortunately too late for us, but we won't be renewing their contract! My past experience of RG and C&W has actually not been very good either. I like Wycherleys, sold our last place through them, but don't think they can handle viewings efficiently Has anyone dealt with Winkworth or Oakleys? Wondered if it might be worth giving them a try. The Market seems to be moving in the lower price bracket: £200 - £300 K because stuff we have viewed is now under offer, not sure about over £350 K though.

On 15 Mar 2011 at 7:51am SugarViolet wrote:
Hmmm thanks for feedback re LE, unfortunately too late for us, but we won't be renewing their contract! My past experience of RG and C&W has actually not been very good either. I like Wycherleys, sold our last place through them, but don't think they can handle viewings efficiently Has anyone dealt with Winkworth or Oakleys? Wondered if it might be worth giving them a try. The Market seems to be moving in the lower price bracket: £200 - £300 K because stuff we have viewed is now under offer, not sure about over £350 K though.

On 15 Mar 2011 at 8:23am House buyer wrote:
We bought via Wycherleys in the £350K+ bracket and Charles Wycherley was very helpful, showed us around several properties -actually took a day out to show us around Lewes and to view 7 properties. Went back to the property we eventually bought 4 times, and he was always helpful.
We moved down from the London suburbs (yes, we're DFLs I'm afraid - well you'd move down to this lovely place as well given how cheap the properties are !!), and sold via a company called Jackson Stopps, but not sure they have any offices near Lewes, but they were great, absolutely professional.

On 15 Mar 2011 at 10:55am Stevie wrote:
All I can add to this is DO NOT use Fox and Sons - I was stupid and signed the contract without reading it through - it was 6 pages of small print!! and when it did not sell they bullied me to lower the price, blaming me for non sale -it became really stressful so then I said I wanted to remove it from the market, they made me pay almost £500 to remove it because in the small print it said the FREE box I ticked was only free if the house sold. I tried everything to fight it but then they used their own internal finance office to send me letters saying it would go up by £100 a week unless I paid, I know 2 other single woman who had the same thing happen to them, bullied by Fox and Sons - they are scum!

On 15 Mar 2011 at 11:00am SugarViolet wrote:
I agree Wycherleys are lovely to deal with. But last time we were on with them they massively overvalued our house and therefore months of our time was wasted. I have heard of people recently being unable to view properties on with them because they don't have staff available to do the viewings. I need an agent who can do the viewings for me. Interesting that this wasn't your experience Housebuyer: how long ago was this? I would consider using Wycherleys again if I hear sufficient good feedback like yours.

On 15 Mar 2011 at 12:23pm Fed up wrote:
Had our place on the market for nearly a year now. Sale fallen through twice. Now very much reduced price and just got an offer very much below that.
I can't drop the price too much or I won't be able to afford the next thing.
On with Oakleys most of that time - ok people - no shocks.
Now on with new agent - just to see if anything moves. Jury still out.
Whycherleys are nearly always about 20% overpriced - their prices often just make me laugh. After a year of this I've got a pretty good handle on the market.
On 15 Mar 2011 at 5:23pm Not so fed up wrote:
Just got an asking price offer.
See how long it lasts.

On 15 Mar 2011 at 5:30pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I was an estate agent for some years in the 80s, and in my experience the weeks immeidately after Christmas were the busiest. It seemed as if people wanted to move in the spring, they knew they had to start looking early in the new year.
I think people are simply reluctant to buy at the moment, because of uncertainties about interest rates, price crashes, recession and so on. I'm afraid I can't see it improving either, and I think the Bank of England will struggle to keep base rates at 0.5% for much longer. If we do have a "double dip" recession (and it's hard to see how that can be avoided with 500,000 redundancies looming in the public sector), that will make things worse.
I loathe and despise Lewes Estates, but at the moment I think any of them would be struggling.
Check your contract with the agents before thinking about trying to sell privately. Lewes Estates often have sole selling rights, which means if you sell the house to a mate, you still have to pay the agent commission.

On 15 Mar 2011 at 6:36pm greasy-spoon wrote:
No-one's mentioned Clifford Dann - are they really that insignificant to not warrant a pasting here?!

On 15 Mar 2011 at 9:24pm SugarViolet wrote:
Yes, any info on others would be helpful, Winkworth seem keen too, any info on them? Thanks for helpful responses, makes me feel better even if things not improving. Why do several people rate RG? I found the main man snotty and rude? C&W are also, in my experience, not to be trusted, yet recommended here too?

On 15 Mar 2011 at 10:00pm MC wrote:
I've been looking for a house for five years and have dealt regularly with all the Lewes Estate agents. C&W and R&G were always very professional and helpful. They got in touch as soon as a property came near them that they thought I'd like too. All the staff members were efficient and friendly. I never met a snotty one.

On 16 Mar 2011 at 12:02pm TDA wrote:
I'm having my house valued at the moment for a new mortgage.
Lewes Estates, Wycherleys and Oakleys are doing it when the they get 15 minutes spare, at no charge.
Gorringes wanted 150 quid plus vat and said every other agent charges. Hmmm.

On 16 Mar 2011 at 2:07pm Fed up wrote:
Whycherleys charged us 125 for that - and they didn't make it clear that there would be a charge beforehand - so be careful.
Others did it for free.

On 16 Mar 2011 at 8:02pm MC wrote:
Cubitt and West offered to value a place I was interested in buying by auction for free. I was surprised they'd do this but it did make me promise myself that I'd only ever sell houses through them.

On 18 Mar 2011 at 12:04pm Arthur Crown wrote:
I have never paid for a valuation - if they get the valuation right, then it will sell and they will earn their money that way. Like others on this thread, I have dealt with all of them. Cubitt & West give preferential treatment to buyers who use their financial services - they told us we would be put forward to sellers first if we worked with them financially. Outrageous! And the bloke who told us later one Sussex estate agent of the year (a year or two ago).
As buyers, we found Gorringe's a pleasure to deal with. They were open about their client's expectations, and the negotiating was tough but fair (negotiating prices is part of my job so I know when someone is being a knob about it). Buying from Wycherley's is a bit s-l-o-w they just creak about, no sense of urgency. Lewes Estates have nice looking adverts but that's it.

On 18 Mar 2011 at 12:22pm Not so fed up wrote:
Sometimes you have to get a written valuation when you don't want to sell - e.g. probate.

11 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Crest 66:132
Lewes Crest

Just noticed. TP started "Quote of the Moment", although it's hard to understand what it's for. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like BONFIRE NIGHT, and of course all the out-meetings which go on around this time - and the loud bang at the crack of dawn!
Jojo