Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Lewes DC decision on Malling

On 15 May 2009 at 5:54pm Rozzer wrote:
Lewes DC deferred their decision on the application to build on the land East of Malling Industrial Estate made by a company connected with Angel Property. This is the land that some of the industries on the Phoenix are to be moved to if the development there goes ahead. Does anyone know why the council deferred their decision?

On 15 May 2009 at 5:58pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Because there's an election due, and they didn't want to be unpopular by granting consent, probably.
Once the county and European elections are out of the way, they'll probably look at it again and grant it.

On 15 May 2009 at 6:10pm Ed Can Do wrote:
I doubt very much Angel have the money to do anything with it now anyway. Does anyone know if the same application covers the area behind the current units, where the cut through from Spences Lane is or if it's just the big patch of wasteland behind the sorting office? There's been planning notices up by the cut through for ages, I believe they wanted to put in another unit and a carpark, despite the complete unsuitability of Spences Lane/Orchard Road for any more traffic.
No doubt the traffic survey was or will be done on a bank holiday when there's no traffic around. They did that when they were testing to see how much traffic went down Bradford Road as part of the original Phoenix Quarter application. A lot of the extra traffic generated would use Bradford Road as a way out of town so they counted cars on a bank holiday in a very unsubtle attempt to demonstrate that it's not very busy up there.

On 15 May 2009 at 7:21pm Rozzer wrote:
ACT - Cynic. I'm sure you're right.
Ed: There's a plan of the application on the LDC website.
lewes.gov.uk/CMISWebPublic/Meeting.aspx?meetingID=243

On 16 May 2009 at 6:26pm Wet Feet wrote:
Why did they shut Sharon Davy up, when she tried to propose a vote?

On 16 May 2009 at 7:21pm Rozzer wrote:
Wet Feet - I wasn't there. Can you tell us more about what happened?

On 17 May 2009 at 3:14am LTR wrote:
The decision was deferred because the Councillors decided they wanted to reject the application as being too premature (amongst other reasons) and wanted LDC to ensure that suc a refusal would be robust on appeal. A shame they didn't have the courage of their convictions, and a shame that it took residents to provide the reason to refuse, but if they get it right the thing will be refused, and Mr Style will go away again. Refusing would nbot mean there will not be a nother application, it just means that our Council will have to demand (as they should have done in the first place) an application that wasn;t just cobbled together on the back of a fag packet, by a chancer who has already admitted he cant afford to do this. If they did approve it, what is stopping him buiulding the industrial units, but never moving the old ones, resulting in two industrial areas, and no housing?
Anyway, there were other issues, and I have no idea what Sharon Davy was doing. I think she tried to propose something at one stage, and was interrupted mid flow. No idea why.

On 17 May 2009 at 8:54am Rozzer wrote:
LTR - LDC is between a rock and a hard place. There's a very cosy relationship with Style but now they getting more afraid of residents (as the town hall meeting showed) and they're afraid of upsetting both. So they try to do nothing as a way out of the dilemma.

On 17 May 2009 at 2:28pm Gentleman Jack wrote:
From what I hear the only people who wanted outright refusal were Councillors Daly and Mitchell. Plus the one who spoke for the residents. Hopefully when it comes back again they'll make the right decision.

On 17 May 2009 at 2:59pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Actually, LTR, I'm not sure it was a shame to defer for that reason. Unlike me to stick up for anyone involved in planning at LDC, I know, but I'd far rather they turned it down for really good reasons later, than do so now on less than rock-solid grounds. If it went to appeal and Style won, that would be game over.
I suspect he's keen to get consents now, rather than try his luck with the National Park Authority's planning guidelines, which will inevitably be more stringent, later. Plus, of course, land with a planning consent is worth a lot more than land without.
I wonder if it's possible to give consent conditional upon some other permission being granted or other development going ahead? I suspect not, but it would actually make sense in cases like this where the need for this development will only arise if another application is granted and that development gets built.

On 17 May 2009 at 4:34pm Rozzer wrote:
ACT: Once again, I'm sure you're right about Style feeling he has to move fast now Lewes has National Park status. And I can't imagine he'll even be able to put an application in for the Phoenix before then - he's had three or four years and still hadn't managed it before the credit crunch struck. But as Malling and the Phoenix are so inextricably linked, it'd be interesting if LDC tried to express some kind of opinion on how the former relates to the latter. Myself, I think Style is just interested in planning permission now to raise money for other plans elsewhere by selling the land.

On 17 May 2009 at 6:55pm Damp toes wrote:
I'm afraid, Gentleman Jack, you heard wrong. Luckily for those of who know about Canute, finally have a glimmer of hope that the Planning commitee have started thinking for themselves, instead of letting officers do it for them.

On 17 May 2009 at 7:06pm LTR wrote:
I agree with you that the reason for refusal should be robust. It already is, the application is clearly premature, as there is a raft of missing imformation (if you will excuse the metaphor,), and LDC has to now consider applications in light of the South Downs park announcement.....but hadn't. The new planning framework is coming into effect, and this application has not covered it, the flood assessment was not written by the correct level of academic., and no one has assessed the effect of run-off from the downs....for starters!
I do not live on the flood plain, but I find it completely and utterly perverse that this application is even recommended . Perhaps the officers would like to exchange houses with those affected last time for whom this must feel like a cruel joke.

On 18 May 2009 at 9:07am Brook means stream wrote:
It's an idiotic idea to build there, but the district council aren't being helped by the Environment Agency who have raised no objections to the scheme even though it's in a flood plain - Malling BROOKS gives a subtle hint that it's a bit damp there.
Perhaps the Association of British Insurers should be approached to see if they would actually insure these properties. If they won't, it's a bit pointless building them.......

On 18 May 2009 at 12:02pm Rozzer wrote:
Brook means stream wrote: 'It's an idiotic idea to build there'
But's pretty obvious what Style's long0term plan was (and may still be). Let the industrial units at the Phoenix run down so that the businesses there have no choice but to move over to Malling. He couldn't care less whether they flood or not. His aim is to get those 600 flats up on the Phoenix flood plain, take the money and go, leaving the owners to worry about the future. The sooner he is out of business and out of Lewes the better.

22 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Thomas Paine woz ere 124:132
Thomas Paine woz ere

TP 15 Sep - 21-49: I simply don't understand how my "options" do not refer to the current situation. Are you seriously... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams