Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Lewes Cinema

On 7 Feb 2010 at 1:48pm Dog In A Cape. wrote:
Sherlock Holmes at Lewes Cinema
Will I have to wear a very big cape to stay warm in there?

On 7 Feb 2010 at 2:44pm in-my-experience wrote:
Maybe but a cushion is essential!

On 7 Feb 2010 at 4:14pm Sam Spam wrote:
....especially if you don't want a lemon entry my dear watson!

On 7 Feb 2010 at 8:29pm Dog In A Cape. wrote:
Well. The film was OK. But Why did all [about 30-40] people stand completely in silence blocking the way out in foyer?
It was weird to say the least, they just stood there and stared at me and my daughter, completely in silence. I thought I must have smeared chocolate all over my face, but no I hadn't done that.
Then when we walked out there was 150 people approx, all stood in silence and all looking at us..
It was disconcerting, it made my daughter uneasy.
It reminded us both of The Wicker Man..
Its F.....g strange behaviour if you ask me!
Maybe the Dark Arts are alive and prospering in Lewes.

On 7 Feb 2010 at 8:59pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
I believe they are 'queueing' (as it is known) for the next film. And being English they are probably being quietly respectfiul as a dog in a cape went past. Not everyday you see that.

On 7 Feb 2010 at 9:10pm Dog In A Cape. wrote:
Brixtonbelle, I know they probably were just queuing and being mightily respectful, but did have to do so in such a spooky manner!
If I hadn't had a wee earlier I might of wet myself!

On 7 Feb 2010 at 9:18pm Sherlock wrote:
The bizarre system at Lewes cinema has always amazed me - and especially the rush for the good seats upstairs where the rule seems to be to spread coats and bags across a row of seats to prevent anyone sitting there so your pals can drift in later.

On 7 Feb 2010 at 10:18pm Dog In A Cape. wrote:
I'll go again. I didn't mind the School chairs and hypocrisy of the place. I had a cup o tea in a china cup. The next time I go I will take a pocket full Garlic though.

On 8 Feb 2010 at 11:34am Sherlock wrote:
Dog In A Cape - Yes, 'hypocrisy' is the word I was looking for. Watching the liberal middle classes looking after their mates.

On 8 Feb 2010 at 12:31pm Dog In A Cape. wrote:
Yer..Yer..Yer.. Looking after their mates indeed!

On 11 Feb 2010 at 11:31pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
I thought the comfy seats upstairs were allocated in advance. It's the only way to stop that row saving business.

On 15 Feb 2010 at 1:11pm Lewes Cinema wrote:
Heck, I don't read the forum for a week and return to find us being called hypocrites!
Dog in a Cape - glad you enjoyed the film. The people who were standing in silence were waiting for the next film. They were quiet because we ask them to be quiet otherwise they would disturb the people inside watching the end of the previous film...
Sherlock - what 'bizarre' system at Lewes Cinema? People arrive very, very early (sometimes as much as an hour before - I kid you not) to queue for the comfy seats upstairs and they take a great deal of convincing not to stomp straight in to the end of the previous film.
People seem to have great difficulty grasping the idea that there is usually more than one film on each day.
If people come early for the next show - then what else can we do with them other than queue them? Seems logical to me, not bizarre. We never had this trouble before we fitted the comfy seats.
Brixtonbelle - no, the seats are allocated on a first-come first-served basis.
We are not happy either that people 'reserve' seats for others who have not even reached the building yet - but in practice this is very hard to combat. It's very hard to prove that somebody is not "just downstairs buying coffee" as is often claimed.
However, this will all change soon - the online ticket system is now capable of selling specific numbered seats for the balcony while selling un-numbered tickets for downstairs and as soon as we can get the seats themselves numbered then it will put an end to some of the queues and seat-saving. In due course people will be able to buy a specific seat online and be sure that seat is available when they arrive - provided it is before film start. There will be a limited (just a few) number of 'balcony' tickets available on the door.
In reality it's not whole rows that are saved - it just looks like it. You will often see many seats with coats on them but this is made up of a combination of some who have genuinely taken their seats and then gone back down to buy coffee, toilets etc and some (usually 1 or 2 seats) that are being unfairly saved for those yet to arrive.
Also, by the way, why are we hypocrites? Don't understand that at all, can somebody explain?
LC

25 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Castle Penny 62:132
Lewes Castle Penny

This is a sad and infuriating subject, as so much misinformation is pushed, and the far-right lap it up as their truth. I was... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like tea and faerie cakes on the Castle Green
NCG