Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

LEWES ESTATES. STOP AND THINK.

 
 
On 6 Jul 2006 at 1:59am Man who still sells beer wrote:
Firstly, can I say that until fifteen minutes ago, I had no opinion on Lewes Estates.
I have had no dealings with them and no-one has ever discussed them with me.
I have no reason to question the veracity of some of the postings about this company.
Indeed, Maddie's account is pretty comprehensive and she appears to have had a pretty sh***y experience.
Some of the postings, however, are more of the friend of a friend variety.
A company has been accused of ( yes ) possible criminal acts on this website and apparently that's okay.
Wow. That's pretty serious.
Where is the webmaster?
I do not believe that it is the role of this forum to behave like a kangaroo court.
I'm sure there are still ombudsman and if necessary solicitors that would love to take on a legitimate grievance.
But even by the standards of this forum, this current thread has taken on an unsurpassed viciousness.
The cloak of internet anonymity means that for every true story there will be twenty hearsays.
As I said, I have no reason to doubt these postings. But this is not the place to hang a man.
Sara Lee ( American ready foods ) found that their sales collapsed by 40%, when a competitor spread an urban myth that a Sara Lee employee with HIV had masturbated into the cheesecakes.
Please be careful. This power is so easily abused.
Yes. For anyone who cares, I couldn't be so hypocritical as to not include my e-mail address.
And no. My axe was ground a long time ago.
Yours sanctimoniously
Nick
 
1
On 6 Jul 2006 at 8:55am The Tooth Fairy wrote:
Is cheesecake on the menu at the Long Wait (sorry Room), Nick?
 
 
On 6 Jul 2006 at 12:07pm Maddie wrote:
Nick - Sorry if you think I spoke out of turn. I should highlight, therefore, that I was just one of many customers and perhaps the moral (for buyers) is do your own research on a place and don't be afraid to take the time to conduct the process properly.
 
 
On 6 Jul 2006 at 1:46pm MC wrote:
Re: possible criminal acts
Hi sanctimious Nick :-)
Can you elucidate on exactly which acts you think are possibly criminal?
I'd sort of assumed that the webmaster was not responsable for the comments others post to a forum application, otherwise judging by many comments on many forums (and past comments on this one) the amount of suing going on must be legion.
MC
 
 
On 6 Jul 2006 at 6:00pm I dont live in lewes anymore wrote:
On 06/07/2006 Maddie wrote:
"Nick - Sorry if you think I spoke out of turn."
Dear Maddie... Just because sanctimoniuos Nick doesn't like his dad spoken about like that there's no need to apologise to him. He should be used to it by now.
PhilX
 
 
On 7 Jul 2006 at 9:06am Avidfan wrote:
You're missing the whole point of the internet by a country mile, nick. The thread re: Lewes estates was merely someone relaying their experiences. The same as some people relaying their experiences having visited your establishment. The fact that they were bad experiences is neither here nor there. When you've lived here a bit longer you'll see that word gets around town pretty quickly anyway. You are probably one who favours censoring the 'net and who is anti free speech. If you are then you moved to the wrong town.
 
 
On 7 Jul 2006 at 9:31am Smiler wrote:
I have to say I think thats a bit harsh, Nick has had his reasonable say when others were complaining about his restaurant, which incidently no one has since soon after they opened so he must have taken the comments on board which is obviously of great benefit to him and his customers (us). He's struggled hard with that place and I for one have a great deal of respect for him and wish him all the best.
 
 
On 8 Jul 2006 at 1:50am Nick Luthi wrote:
Boy - Avid. You're really p***d at me, aren't you!!
He'll hate me for saying this, but Tooth Fairy's articulate, witty and sometimes I like him against my better nature.
However better deal with you.
Ho hum, I'm not from Lewes apparently.
I'll take your word for it.
Forget The Long Room for a minute, I only told the forum who I am because I would have defeated my argument if I hadn't.
Anyway. I only discuss the Long Room with Toothy.
ME, FROOP, and LOULOU are not relating their experiences. Nothing first hand there.
I raised a genuine concern this site going to far.
And now you're beating up Maddie.
BUT. You particularly are ignorant and patronising and your childish comments about my knowledge of the point and purpose of the internet is typical of what I was complaining about.
You don't know me or my politics and you might be interested to know that I worked voluntarily for INDEX ON CENSORSHIP in London before I drove down in my Carmen Ghia and bought the whole of St. John's Street and converted it into Art Galleries.
The internet isn't quite what I hoped for after Tianamen Square, but how dare you presume to second guess my beliefs and do the usual 'live here a bit longer'c**p.
By the way, in my experience most people who use the phrase 'net are t****rs.
Oh, by the way, I promised you all six months ago that I'd be off and though I really don't want to discuss The Thing Room, I'm as good as my word.
And now I can finally tell Avidfan........no, sorry mate. You're not worth it.
Now. Toothy - over to your thread!!
I can't tell you how frustrating this has been for the last two years.
Avid. I've lived here for seven years now.
Please let me know when I understand Lewes.
 
 
On 8 Jul 2006 at 12:01pm Nick Luthi wrote:
Yup. A very nice blueberry cheesecake. I'll look at the chefs in a new light.
Sadly, I will no longer be on the menu myself in two weeks time.
I did promise you that a while ago.
No JD Weatherspoon's or Bella Pasta though.
That was just me teasing.
All the best. I even said something nice about you on Avidfan's thread.
Now he really is a.......
Bye.
 
 
On 8 Jul 2006 at 12:50pm The Tooth Fairy wrote:
Why, thank you Nicholas, I knew all along you couldn't hate me that much. You could see that under my cold, charmless exterior there beats a heart of stone.
 
 
On 8 Jul 2006 at 3:00pm me wrote:
Full pf porn you say. I might pay them a visit. as regards to the going too far issue, I can't see a problem in people airing their grievances about companies. forewarned is forearmed as they say. people should be able to make up their own minds as too wether the information is credible or not. I do feel that if the given information is true a trip to trading standards or the watchdog for estate agents (if there is one) would have been a better starting point as opposed to this forum. Not having a dig nick but sadly it does not matter how long you have lived here you will never be a true lewisian unless you were born here.
 
 
On 9 Jul 2006 at 10:52am Dick Puller wrote:
And it's all gay porn, apparently.
 
 
On 11 Jul 2006 at 1:13am nick luthi wrote:
Never doubted it for a minute. But clever is as clever does.
And if I could spell vice versa confidently, I'd presume the same.
 
1
On 11 Jul 2006 at 1:13am nick luthi wrote:
Never doubted it for a minute. But clever is as clever does.
And if I could spell vice versa confidently, I'd presume the same.
 
 
On 11 Jul 2006 at 8:50am The Tooth Fairy wrote:
I'm warming to you nick, unfortunately.
 
 
On 16 Jul 2006 at 2:44am Nick Luthi wrote:
I never thought you were out of turn as it was a first-hand experience.
I sincerely hope that it all panned out and that you are happy with your house ( and Lewes ).
If not, I hope you bust their a**e.
But, even though half of it is now deleted, the chaff that followed was depressing, third-hand and libellous.
That was my problem with the thread - not you.
It is not clear whether you just moved to Lewes.
But I hope to God not, as that's a hell of a welcome on all sides!!
Hope it all worked out.
Nick
 
 
On 18 Jul 2006 at 10:28am Maddie wrote:
Thanks for your wishes and your words of wisdom Nick. Everything is going really well... and the other threads don't bother me... I might even meet the writers one day! Coming from Brighton (via Peckham) I am just happy to be able to sleep a night without police sirens and planes; my husband grew up in Walthamstow and he can't get over the fact that none of the shops bring down metal grills over their windows in the evening! So it's all good.
P.s. - to whoever suggested that I might not read to the end of a thread... I do... and it's certainly been an intriguing introduction to the people of Lewes! Thank you.
 
 
On 18 Jul 2006 at 12:10pm Buster wrote:
Not all people in Lewes are like the people who write on here - although try not to mention you ever lived in London - for some reason that makes the local restless and afraid...!
best of luck, i am sure you will love living here - it really is a great town underneath it all!!
 
1
On 19 Jul 2006 at 9:41am Maddie wrote:
Cheers Buster... I grew up in Brighton so I'm well aware of the effect of local people thinking you're an insurgent from London! I'm originally from a mining village oop north tho and the bloke's from a farm in Ireland so I reckon we'll fit in perfectly once we get doen the pub... speaking of which, what are the best pubs? The Lewes Arms is our local (that or the Elephant), but of course I know the Snowdrop of old, and the Dorset. Any other recommendadtions?


18 posts left

Your response


You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms


 

Thomas Paine woz ere 124:132
Thomas Paine woz ere

This does look like a nasty variant, and not just because of Boris Johnsons face above.


Had my 2nd jab relatively recently,... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell