Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

KOREAN WAR

On 9 Dec 2014 at 6:57pm mikey wrote:
A program on t.v. for tonight 12th Dec, advertised as bloodiest war since WW11. All about British troops in Afghanistan. Though a horrible war fought bravely by British troops it was not as bad as the Korean war in which over 1000 British died in terrible conditions. Many suffered terribly as prisoners of war. I know of at least one Lewes resident now passed away who served in this war, also one still living who served in this war.
On 9 Dec 2014 at 7:44pm bastian wrote:
That's not colenel Mikey of ex army surplus fame?
Our part in the Korean war is rarely advertised.

On 10 Dec 2014 at 9:57am trooper wrote:
How interesting to find that there are still some people who even know of the war in Korea. I thank you "Mikey" for posting,you are correct in your statement there are still some of us left allbeit somewhat aged now."Bastian" you are also correct the war is not referred to as it was an embarrassment to our government, and to an extent it still is
Very soon we will all be gone and very possibly forgotten.
On 10 Dec 2014 at 10:37am david wrote:
I remember talk of the Korean War when I was a very small child and caught the tone of anxiety. But, apart from that nothing - except of course MASH.
Now I've been reading about it in response to these posts. It was such an extraordinary war - a template for the cold war coming so soon after World War 11. It must have been terrible for troops and their families coming so soon after. People were war weary and then had to leave still raw bomb craters here to fight in a war of the new era.
It seems to have had everything including trench warfare, all overshadowed by the recently used atom bomb. USA had plenty of allies but sent 80% of he troops I think.
I suppose trooper the embarrassment you talk of must have been because no one won in this stand off. As far as being a participant in it , it must be a really sad situation - very like say the situation of American/ Australian troops who fought in Vietnam. No acknowledgement of their valour to help heal the wounds of war.
You made me think about Korea as a country as well and all the subsequent sadness of split families. I read a novel about Korea once that revealed a picture of a beautiful country with strong traditions.
No one ever really wins I suppose. But I salute you Trooper.
On 10 Dec 2014 at 12:43pm trooper wrote:
"David" I thank you for your salutation. Not wishing to press the point but as you appear to be interested you may care to read Max Hastings book "The Korean War" also a book entitled "To the Last Round" by Andrew Salmon, an action in which I have personal connection. Once again my thanks and to all on the Forum A VERY HAPPY XMAS.
On 10 Dec 2014 at 1:40pm guildenstern wrote:
When the Korean war started the Americans had little idea how to handle the conditions. Our troops had recent experience in Malaya. It showed.

On 10 Dec 2014 at 3:47pm trooper wrote:
Might I please inform those of you who do have an interest that a memorial has been unveiled on the Embankment in London to the fallen in Korea. I might add that we are the last country who took part in that conflict to honour the fallen with a monument ,also it was paid for by the South Korean government, and there was no high ranking Government minister present at the unveiling, says it all really.

On 10 Dec 2014 at 3:58pm Old Bloke wrote:
Trooper I salute you.
Don't always agree with you on here but I salute you and all your comrades.
Believe me when you're all gone you won't be forgotten - except of course by our greedy and corrupt politicians - the very people that still sacrifice our brave young men and women - but then almost the entire grotesque bunch in Parliament are an insult to our Armed Forces past and present

On 10 Dec 2014 at 5:33pm trooper wrote:
"Old Bloke" I, and my comrades thank,you for your salutations and your kind sentiments.
In ref to the politicos I find myself in agreement with you.

On 10 Dec 2014 at 5:56pm david wrote:
Ridiculous really - but this thread has given me a tiny feeling of peace and hope. I shall visit the memorial on the Embankment.

27 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Mount Caburn 92:132
Mount Caburn

The government acts for private ne'er-do-goods who do very well financially, by endorsing their massive scams for a cut in the... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy