Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

John McDonnell MP. Shadow Chancellor

On 18 Sep 2015 at 2:18am The Artist Taxi Driver wrote:
John McDonnell MP "this is not a recovery it's a robbery"

Watch the video »
On 18 Sep 2015 at 7:32am Cuban Raft Rider wrote:
"The MP for Hayes and Harlington said his choice of words in 2003 had been wrong, adding: "What I tried to do for both sides is to give them a way out with some form of dignity otherwise they wouldn't lay their arms down."
He added: "And can I just say this, because this has been raised with me time and time again - I accept it was a mistake to use those words, but actually if it contributed towards saving one life, or preventing someone else being maimed it was worth doing, because we did hold on to the peace process."
Time to move on and enjoy the peace we know have, oops or have a missed the point that Lewes never forgets
On 18 Sep 2015 at 9:02am Mavis wrote:
That's why it's called The Lewes Forum and not The Labour Forum !!
On 18 Sep 2015 at 9:06am Never Never Never wrote:
He had no role whatsoever in the peace process, both he and Corbyn supported and capitulated to the IRA`s terms because the hard left sees the Republican cause their own and British troops as, in his words " an occupying force". Throughout this period there was an alternative democratic Republican wing to support which they ignored.
Your lies are either ignorance or outright evil
His desire to honor people who murdered British citizens is not , in any case an isolated lapse it is part of his thinking and has been consistently for thirty years. He is a man who said he would like to assassinate Margaret Thatcher which of course the IRA tried their best to do murdering Conservative politicians and maiming Norman Tebbits wife
Shortly afterwards they were invited to HOP by Corbyn.
This is the same man who two years ago asked for a 70% top rate , whose stated aim is the destruction of capitalism and wishes to print money to waste on state boon-doggles
He can hardly open his mouth without lying and if anyone can come up with a more despicable dangerous man in public life please do.
On 18 Sep 2015 at 9:29am Airey Neave wrote:
Enjoy what peace - watch the news you child.
On 18 Sep 2015 at 11:18am Harry wrote:
I`m not saying that the IRA weren`t terrible but Airey Neave was killed by an organisation called I.N.L.A. not the I.R.A.they were not the same thing.
On 18 Sep 2015 at 12:27pm Airey Neave wrote:
Quite so Harry but on the main point McDonells lies are sickening .
Douglas Murray Nails it thusly
He told a hardcore Republican audience in 2003 that ‘it’s about time we started honouring those people involved in the armed struggle’, he was not (as he claimed last night) arguing for peace. When he said, ‘it was the bombs and bullets and sacrifice made by the likes of Bobby Sands that brought Britain to the negotiating table’ he was not the voice of the Good Friday agreement.
On last night’s Question Time McDonnell explained these words by saying ‘I went out and argued for the peace process’. But he uttered the words complained of in 2003. The Good Friday agreement was signed in 1998. There was no reason in 2003 to think that if an obscure backbencher with no involvement in any peace process praised Republican murderers this would advance that Agreement one jot. Indeed I would like to know what exactly it was McDonnell thought was happening that meant that the peace process was likely to fall apart unless an obscure backbencher went out and praised IRA murderers. The claim is risible. He was praising the IRA because he had sympathy with them. It really is – as with Corbyn – as simple as that. If you doubt that then consider Tony Blair or any of the other senior figures actually involved in negotiating the peace process and see if they ever ‘had’ to utter the sort of things McDonnell volunteered so effortlessly. Scour Tony Blair’s speeches back in 1998 when the peace process was actually happening and you will search vainly.

On 18 Sep 2015 at 2:29pm Harry wrote:
It would be hard to argue against the proposition, in terms of real politik ,that the IRAs campaign of brutal violence did not hasten the British government`s wish to enable a lasting and more equitable political solution to the Northern Irish problem.In that surely McDonnell was right.as for praising this campaign of violence ,that of course is another matter.
On 18 Sep 2015 at 3:20pm Pah wrote:
Corbyn and McDonell may be like main stream British politicians in that they wanted peace. The difference is that they wanted peace on the IRA`s terms and their encouragement an support goes back to the 80s. They wanted Sinn Fein and the IRA to win.
'Murdering British citizens works' may be a bitter truth, but it is not one a prospective PM or Chancellor can celebrate with such evident relish and expect to be forgiven.

On 18 Sep 2015 at 6:40pm Belladonna wrote:
The peace deal came about because of IRA bombing campaigns on the mainland. Once the city were under attack the state entered into (covert) talks. So yes, the violence achieved a peace agreement . And remember it was not the type of deal the IRA were looking for. Their aim was always a united Ireland
On 18 Sep 2015 at 7:34pm Newell Fisher wrote:
Just as a test of whether people know their subject, are we all clear on why it is perfectly okay to support the original IRA?
On 18 Sep 2015 at 7:56pm swivel-eyed bigot wrote:
Ah Mr. Fisher. Let you back have they? I can't imagine why.
Why do you like dead British soldiers so much?
On 18 Sep 2015 at 7:58pm Knowall Fister wrote:
Corbyn and McDonnell are low life scum bags.
Every single person that either voted for Corbyn or thinks " He's a breath of fresh air" is an ignorant twat.

24 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Down the Pan 32:132
Down the Pan

I rather doubt if anyone describes themselves as woke basil. If you don't think the word is appropriate for someone as they do... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington