Lewes Forum New message

Hugh Rae, et tu?

On 18 Jan 2016 at 2:31pm Spartacus wrote:
I was inevitable really but so sad

Check it out here »
On 18 Jan 2016 at 2:56pm Je suis Lewes wrote:
Dreadful news and, I fear, yet another nail in Lewes' coffin
On 18 Jan 2016 at 4:39pm trooper wrote:
@Spartacus. Thank you for the post. This is tragic news, but I suppose inevitable given that most men no longer dress well,and Hugh Rae was not a scruff order shop.
Please NOT another "Antique" shop selling more tat.
On 18 Jan 2016 at 5:41pm Hugh rae an up she rises wrote:
Grade 11 but commercial - so no chance it could become a nice townhouse - then it'd be worth £750k
On 18 Jan 2016 at 5:57pm Jester wrote:
Yea ok may well be sad but come on, shop didn't really move with the times did it. Surprised it lasted as long as it did. Great range of clothes if your over 60 and well off. Best of luck to the owner tho (if it ever sells for 3 quarters of a mil) lmao
On 18 Jan 2016 at 6:03pm Goddamn Capitalists wrote:
I'm quite sure that if you show yourself Mr/Mrs "Hugh Rae an up she rises" there are many Lewes bonfire society members who will gladly put you in a tar barrel, set the barrel alight, roll you down the High Street and drop you off Cliffe Bridge into the river having first pushed you past the owner of the wonderful Hugh Rae establishment so he can wave you and all the other grasping property developers in Lewes, a fond farewell from his Grade 11? (I think you mean Grade II) commercial building, and watch you all floating out to sea along with your negative views on what community stands for.
On 18 Jan 2016 at 6:09pm Sacticus Scrotalis wrote:
Only shop where you are asked " on which side do you dress, sir " ......
On 18 Jan 2016 at 6:12pm Good old fashioned value wrote:
What a lovely chap who ran Hugh Rae, I wish him all the best. he wasn't that expensive, and was just classic. Good luck to him.
On 18 Jan 2016 at 6:23pm Historian wrote:
The retail element is a mere 50 square metres, with 38 sqm in a basement ! I suppose the valuation equates to The White Hart also being available for an investment of £2.5 million !! Doubt if the council would grant change of use to residential, so could be available for a while. Residential rents are very good though, if not affordable for the locals. So lots of positives and negatives to be chewed over. Well earned retirement though - Enjoy
On 18 Jan 2016 at 6:52pm @goddam wrote:
I'm sure you know what community means - you are under Care in the Community, aren't you?
On 18 Jan 2016 at 7:05pm Eric C wrote:
Good. We might get a shop that sells something useful. A Subway would be very handy.
On 18 Jan 2016 at 8:07pm Convenient wrote:
@trooper it's not tragic , it might be a bit sad for regular customers like yourself but no worse than that . A tragedy is an event causing great suffering , destruction and distress such as a natural catastrophe .
On 19 Jan 2016 at 9:11am DJ wrote:
Can't wait for the closing down sale
On 19 Jan 2016 at 10:20am Good luck! wrote:
Good luck to you, sir! You were always helpful and kind when I came in to shop for my husband—who wouldn't buy himself a new sock if he could help it. Thank you for your high quality goods and your lovely displays.

On 20 Jan 2016 at 4:29pm Peter Pan wrote:
In what year did Daltons and Poveys disappear . My Wedding suite was made by Poveys And I have still got it ( lasted longer than the marriage )
On 21 Jan 2016 at 6:04pm g gekko wrote:
Perhaps it could be bought by Lewes old grammar school whom are expanding it seems, good for them!. I would have thought if they keep ground floor commercial, they could sell off top for accommodation. No shame in retiring and selling up!! Green eyed monster alive and well. Just hope it doesn't fall into a chain's hands or cruddy eatery given its unique history and enviable location opposite the castle. Maybe Sussex past could buy it?? Wish them luck.

21 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Thomas Paine woz ere 124:132
Thomas Paine woz ere

I would hazard a guess that:
a) very few people even notice
b) half of the very few that do think it's the work of a few... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare
Brighton Jobs